A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
105. THE HOSPITAL CALLED 'SPITTAL ON THE STREET'
The hospital called 'Spittal on the Street' was built in 1396 by Thomas Aston, a canon of Lincoln, and connected with the chapel of St. Edmund, (fn. 1) where a chantry had been founded in 1343 by John Vendour, vicar of Thimbleby. (fn. 2) Thomas Aston also obtained permission from the pope to appropriate to the new hospital the churches of Little Carlton and Skellingthorpe, of which he was patron. (fn. 3) A warden and a certain number of poor persons were to be maintained in the hospital, which was to remain under the patronage of the dean and chapter of Lincoln. This house was not suppressed among the hospitals generally.
Masters of the Hospital
Henry Lightborough, (fn. 4) resigned April, 1435
Henry Sibbe, (fn. 5) resigned September, 1435
John Smith, (fn. 6) resigned December, 1435
Richard Saunderson, (fn. 7) appointed December, 1435; resigned December, 1436
John Wylton, (fn. 8) appointed December, 1436
Robert, (fn. 9) occurs 1472