A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
110. THE COLLEGE OF THORNTON
Thornton College was one of the short-lived foundations of King Henry VIII. A part of the revenues of the suppressed abbey of Thornton was set aside for the maintenance of a college, for the ministration of the sacraments, the observance of good manners, the care of the aged and those who had spent their lives in the service of the realm, and for the instruction of the young.
There was to be a dean at the head of it, supported by four prebendaries, six minor canons, a schoolmaster, and a choirmaster. To maintain the services of the church a gospeller and an epistoler were appointed, with four singing men and five choir boys. A porter, a sub-sacrist, a butler, and a cook, also received salaries from the foundation, and four poor persons were to be maintained in the house. (fn. 1)
The college was suppressed at the beginning of the reign of Edward VI, a pension of £50 being assigned to the dean, Roger Dalison, and smaller sums to several others connected with the house. (fn. 2)