A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
117. THE PRIORY OF BONBY
The churches which formed the endowment of Bonby Priory were granted during the reign of John to the Benedictine priory of St. Fromund, Normandy; they had previously belonged to the prior and convent of Merton. (fn. 1)
The value of the house was very small and probably supported but one monk. During the wars with France it became so unprofitable to the prior of St. Fromund that he granted it to the London Charterhouse. As this was done without the king's consent, the grant was disregarded, and the priory was seized as alien property. (fn. 2) It was farmed for a time by the king's clerks at an annual rent of 12 marks, but in 1403 it was granted to the Carthusians of Beauvale. (fn. 3)