A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
119. THE PRIORY OF GREAT LIMBER
The manor and church of Great Limber were granted by Richard de Humet, constable of Normandy, and Agnes his wife, to the Cistercian abbey of Aunay in Normandy, and their charter was confirmed by Henry II about 1157. (fn. 1) A little later Bertram de Verdun renewed the grant on condition that two monks should always be received into the abbey for the special purpose of celebrating divine service for the souls of the grantors. (fn. 2) It is possible that a monk may have been sent to Limber to take charge of the property, but it is doubtful whether there was ever a priory there in any other sense.
The manor and church were sold by the abbot of Aunay in 1393 to the priory of St. Anne at Coventry. (fn. 3)