A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
3. THE MONASTERY OF BARROW
The ancient monastery 'Ad Baruae' in Lindsey was founded about the middle of the seventh century; probably between 669 and 672, when St. Chad was bishop of Lichfield, for traces of his discipline remained there in the days of Bede. (fn. 1) The land on which the monastery was built was the gift of King Wulfhere (657-75), and was sufficient to support fifty families; the rule it followed was probably the same as that of the more famous house at Lastingham. When Wilfrid, bishop of Mercia, was deposed by Archbishop Theodore for some act of disobedience, he took refuge at Barrow, and ended his days there 'in all holy conversation.' (fn. 2)
This monastery was also destroyed by the Danes and never rebuilt.