A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
5. THE ABBEY OF PARTNEY
It seems clear that there was a monastery at Partney during the seventh century; two of its abbots were well known to the Venerable Bede. (fn. 1) One of these, Deda, 'a very truthful man,' repeated to the historian a description of the personal appearance of St. Paulinus, given to him earlier by an old man whom the saint had baptized. The other, Aldewin, was the brother of Ethelwin, (fn. 2)who was bishop of Lindsey in the time of Theodore: he had probably been educated in the monastic schools of Ireland. (fn. 3) The name of the founder of the abbey is unknown: nor is there any reason for connecting it with. Bardney. It was probably destroyed by the Danes and never rebuilt. There was a hospital at Partney in the eleventh century, which will be. dealt with in its proper place; but this cannot very well have been of the same foundation. (fn. 4)