A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
52. THE PRIORY OF NEWSTEAD-ON-ANCHOLME
The Gilbertine priory of Holy Trinity, Newstead-on-Ancholme, was founded for Gilbertine canons by Henry II in 1171. (fn. 1) He endowed it with the whole island of Rucholm, on which the priory stood, and other lands in Cadney and Hardwick to the value of £8 10s. a year. (fn. 2) The abbot and convent of Longvilliers granted their lands in Kirton for a yearly rent of £5. (fn. 3) King John added land in Housham worth £3 6s. a year. (fn. 4) The endowment was small, and the number of canons and lay brothers was limited by St. Gilbert to thirteen. (fn. 5)
In 1254 the spiritualities, including the rectory of Barnetby, were assessed at £15, the temporalities at £42 17s. 5d. (fn. 6) The prior and convent increased their income by the sale of wool, which at the beginning of the fourteenth century averaged ten sacks a year. (fn. 7) In 1291 their temporalities had increased in value by over £6, (fn. 8) and in 1329 they obtained a licence to appropriate in mortmain nineteen gifts of land and rents, amounting in all only to the yearly value of 10s., in part satisfaction of a licence to acquire land yielding 10 marks. (fn. 9)
In 1303 the prior held one-twenty-fourth of a knight's fee in Housham, one-thirty-fourth in Searby, and a quarter and an eighth in Scawby, and in 1346 half a knight's fee in Hibaldstow. (fn. 10)
The economic results of the Black Death were doubtless felt with exceptional severity in a house with such small resources. The prior had trouble with his villeins, and in 1384 a commission of oyer and terminer was appointed touching the withdrawal by his bondmen and bond tenants, who had banded together to resist him. (fn. 11)
In 1397 money was needed for the repair and maintenance of the priory church, and an indulgence was granted for that object by Boniface IX. (fn. 12)
Edward IV released the prior of the yearly rent of £5, formerly paid to the abbot of Longvilliers, as the lands were then not worth more than 10s. a year. (fn. 13)
In 1535 the net valuation of the property amounted to £38 14s. 5d., of which £8 came from the rectory of Barnetby. (fn. 16) Granges and other lands were let, and the demesne land of the priory was only worth £4 7s. a year.
In the hands of the crown bailiff four years later the property brought in £56 18s., including, besides the rectory, the granges of Housham, Hibaldstow, and Stirton, near Scawby, and lands at Cadney. (fn. 17)
Priors of Newstead
William Robynson, (fn. 18) occurs 1522
Thomas, occurs 1529 (fn. 19)
John Orrey, occurs 1535 (fn. 20)
Richard Hobson, occurs 1538 (fn. 21)
The seal affixed to the surrender is round, and has upon it a large 'N' surmounted by a cross. There is no legend. (fn. 22)