A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
118. THE PRIORY OF WENGHALE
The date of the foundation and the name of the founder of this little priory are alike uncertain, but it was founded before the Lindsey Survey c. 1115, for then the monks of Wenghale held 1 carucate and 4 bovates in Owersby of the Earl of Mortain. It was a cell of the abbey of Sées in Normandy, for Benedictine monks, and the earliest appointment of a prior is dated 1223. (fn. 1) Others continued to be placed in charge of it till 1399; but in 1400 it was granted to a secular clerk in recompense for services rendered to the king. (fn. 2) In 1441 it was granted by Henry VI to the college of St. Nicholas, Cambridge, after the death of Thomas of Cumberworth, who then held it; (fn. 3) but it was afterwards transferred to the college of St. Michael (Trinity College) in exchange for other lands. (fn. 4)
In 1453 it was found by an inquisition that the priory had 11 oxgangs of land in South Kelsey, each containing 20 acres with some meadow. (fn. 5)
The value of its revenue in 1380 was £12 18s. 5d. (fn. 6)
Priors of Wenghale
Philip, (fn. 7) appointed 1223
William de Rupe, (fn. 8) appointed 1242
Galgavus, (fn. 9) resigned 1276
Geoffrey de Oumayo, (fn. 10) appointed 1276
John de Croquet, (fn. 11) occurs 1345
Simon Pynart, (fn. 12) occurs 1345
Michael de Logges, (fn. 13) occurs 1399