A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
121. THE PRIORY OF HOUGH
The manor on which the priory of Hough was afterwards built was granted by Henry I to his abbey of St. Mary de Voto at Cherbourg, for Austin canons. The parent abbey itself at its foundation contained only an abbot and four canons, and the cell having no other endowment than the manor and church of Hough, was intended for the support of a prior with a single chaplain for his companion, to maintain divine service for the soul of the king and his family. (fn. 1)
The prior was at first bound to send a fixed sum of money to Cherbourg every year; after the beginning of the wars with France this pension was transferred to the Exchequer. Early in the fourteenth century the assistant chaplain was withdrawn, as the revenue was not sufficient to support two canons any longer, (fn. 2) and in 1340, the prior himself was reduced to such straits that he had to beseech the king for remission of his arrears, amounting to 55 marks. (fn. 3) An inquisition of the property was taken in 1349, when it was again found almost impossible to pay the pension appointed. The priory mill had become broken and useless, and nearly all the trees had been cut down; indeed, almost everything of value in the house had been sold to supply the money due to the Exchequer. Most of the chantries founded in the priory church had lapsed, as the prior could not serve them all by himself. (fn. 4)
The revenue of the priory was valued in 1388 at £38 8s. 8d. (fn. 8)
Priors of Hough
William, (fn. 9) occurs 1208, resigned 1228
Nicholas, (fn. 10) appointed 1228
Robert Pampare, (fn. 11) appointed 1272
John de Insulis, (fn. 12) died 1329
Nicholas Waryn, (fn. 13) appointed 1329, died 1346
William de Gardino, (fn. 14) appointed 1346, resigned 1359
Richard de Londa, (fn. 15) appointed 1359
Richard de Beaugrave, (fn. 16) occurs 1399 and 1403