A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
123. THE PRIORY OF WEST RAVENDALE
The priory of West Ravendale is said to have been founded by Alan son of Henry earl of Brittany, who gave the manor and church in 1202 to the Premonstratensian abbey of Beauport in Brittany. (fn. 1) There was a prior here in 1275, (fn. 2) but it is uncertain whether he had ever any brethren with him. Another was pardoned in 1334 for hunting in a free warren. (fn. 3) The temporalities of this house were in the king's hands on and off during the second half of the fourteenth century. In 1340 and 1343 it was released on the ground that Brittany was not under the power of France. (fn. 4) From 1344 to 1389, however, the king presented clerks to the churches belonging to the priory. (fn. 5) Henry IV granted the lands of West Ravendale to his queen, Joanna, in dower, (fn. 6) and when she died without issue they were finally assigned to the dean and chapter of Southwell in 1452. (fn. 7) This grant was confirmed again in 1462. (fn. 8)
The revenue of the priory in 1380 was £22 19s. 5d. (fn. 9) The advowsons of Waltham, Brigsley, Beelsby, Barnoldby le Beck, Hatcliffe, and Beesby, were reckoned as part of its possessions, but they only brought in small annual pensions. (fn. 10)
Priors of West Ravendale
Nicholas, (fn. 11) occurs 1246
Martin, (fn. 12) occurs 1275
William, (fn. 13) occurs 1334