Hospitals: Milbourne's almshouses

Page 549

A History of the County of London: Volume 1, London Within the Bars, Westminster and Southwark. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1909.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



The foundation of Sir John Milbourne resembled Whittington's Hospital in some ways. The almshouses were built in 1535 (fn. 1) on land bought by Milbourne of the Crossed Friars, and were intended for thirteen poor men and their wives, if they were married, members of the Drapers' Company, to whom the endowment, consisting of property in London, was entrusted. The poor men were to come every day to the conventual church, and to say the De Profundis, paternoster, ave, creed and collect for the benefit of the founder, his wife, children, and friends. The almshouses remained on the original site until 1862, when the Drapers' Company built new ones at Tottenham. (fn. 2)


  • 1. Stow, Surv. of Lond (ed. Strype), ii, 78.
  • 2. Lond. and Midd. Arch. Soc. Trans. iii, 138–42.