A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10, Hackney. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1995.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
OTHER CHRISTIAN CHURCHES
CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH.
Ch. on E. side of Mare Street at no. 184, next to Lady Holles sch. (later part of Cordwainers' coll.), reg. 1874. (fn. 1) Bldg. of yellow brick with white-brick and stone dressings in Dec. style: aisled nave, shallow transepts, fleche over crossing. Attendance 1886: 227 a.m., 168 evg.; 1903: 199 a.m., 213 evg. Still listed as Cath. Apostolic in 1964 but served as Greek Orthodox ch. of St. John the Theologian from 1966. (fn. 2)
ANCIENT CATHOLIC CHURCH.
Former Agapemonite ch. (above) leased 1956 to Harold Percival Nicholson, who, as abp. of Karim, perhaps already used it as his cathedral ch. of the Good Shepherd. Ch., which had premises in Lower Sloane Street, Chelsea, claimed to be older than Rom. Cath. Ch. by virtue of descent from Syrian Orthodox Ch. at Antioch. Spiritual healing practised in Clapton bldg., where chapel for animals also opened. (fn. 3)
GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH.
Former Cath. Apostolic ch. (above) at no. 184 Mare Street opened as Greek Orthodox ch. of St. John the Theologian 1966; reg. 1986. Bldg. seated c. 250 in 1988, when ch. also ran Greek language sch. and Sun. sch. (fn. 4)