A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11, Stepney, Bethnal Green. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1998.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LIST OF CHURCHES
Inf. about patrons and clergy is taken from Clergy List, Crockford, and Lond. Dioc. Year Bk. (various edns.); inf. about svces. is from Lambeth Pal. Libr., Fulham Papers, Tait 440 (for 1858), Mackeson's Guide (1866, 1871, 1899), and H. W. Harris and M. Bryant, The Churches and Lond. , 381. Attendance figs. 1886 are from Brit. Weekly, 12 Nov. 1886, 1903 from Mudie-Smith Rel. Life, 55. Liturgical directions are used in all architectural descriptions. Illus. of churches in T. Roberts, Housing and Ministry. An Experiment in Use of Ch. Land (1975); photographs in N.M.R. and T.H.L.H.L. The following additional abbreviations are used: a.a., average attendance; aft., afternoon; asst., assistant; consecr., consecrated; demol., demolished; Eccl. Com., Ecclesiastical Commissioners; H.C., Holy Communion; min., minister; mtg., meeting; Q.A.B., Queen Anne's Bounty; R., rector; svce., service; temp., temporarily, temporary; V., vicar.
Episcopal Jews' Chapel, Palestine Pl. Lond. Soc. for Promoting Christianity among Jews, founded 1809 with earliest centres in Spitalfields and Ely Pl., (fn. 1) acquired 99-yr. lease of site between Cambridge Rd. and Russia Lane, part of Bishop's Hall farm, 1811, (fn. 2) where bldgs. erected and chapel licensed 1814. No endowment but pew rents raised c. £170 p.a. 1851. Patron trustees of soc. Min.'s ho. at no. 1 Palestine Pl. (fn. 3) Chapel for 1,200 (fn. 4) central bldg. of group inc. boys' and girls' boarding schs., institution (founded 1831) where converts learnt trades, (fn. 5) and missionaries' college. (fn. 6) Attendance 1851: (fn. 7) 400 adults and 100 children a.m., 50 adults and 100 children aft., 400 adults and 100 children p.m.; 1886: 378 a.m., 277 p.m. Svces. partly choral by 1881, thrice on Sun., once on Wed.; H.C. twice a month, after a.m. and p.m. svces. Aft. svce. and, by 1890s, weekday H.C. in Hebrew. Well attended lectures in chapel after p.m. svce. (fn. 8) Bldg. of brick in classical style by Chas. Augustus Busby and Geo. Maliphant 1814. (fn. 9) Demol. for Bethnal Green hosp. 1895 although bell turret survived on nurses' quarters and font and wall monuments taken to Christ Ch., Spitalfields. (fn. 10)
Holy Trinity, Shoreditch. Dist. assigned from St. Phil. Bethnal Green, and St. Leonard, Shoreditch, 1866. Benefice united with St. Leonard 1926. (fn. 11) Patron Crown alternating with bp. Benefice valued at £200 p.a. 1871. (fn. 12) Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £100 p.a. 1889 and £60 1891. (fn. 13) Svces. in hay loft over stable, (fn. 14) presumably in mission at junction of Club Row and Sclater St., where all seats free, partly choral with surplices worn by 1871; 6 svces., inc. 2 H.C., on Sun., 2 daily svces., 3 sermons a week, and H.C. on holy days by 1871. (fn. 15) Attendance 1886: 41 a.m., 50 p.m. Art. Osborne Montgomery Jay, inspiration for Morrison's Child of the Jago, V. 1886-1921. (fn. 16) With grant from Bp. of Lond.'s Fund and help from Magdalen Coll., Oxf., whose missioner he had been in Stepney, Jay secured site in Orange Ct., Old Nichol St. 1888, where complex of bldgs. opened 1889: classrooms, club room, hall, and gymnasium, with ch. above. Adjoining property to E. acquired 'by generosity of Miss Schuster' and model lodging ho., Trinity Chambers, built there. Ho. to W. acquired when clearance mooted 1894 and additional aisle and side chapel built there 1895. (fn. 17) From 1880s 1 or 2 asst. curates. Rich social life with men's club of 500 members, women's bible class, Sun. and ragged schs. (fn. 18) Svces. fully choral and High Ch. by 1889; 8 svces., inc. 3 H.C. on Sun., 4 on weekdays. Large red-brick ch. consecr. 1889. After union with St. Leonard's, ch. used by 'Hebrew Christians'. (fn. 19) Became hostel 1938 and conversion to factory refused 1939. (fn. 20) Bombed in Second World War. (fn. 21)
St. Andrew, Viaduct St. Dist. S. of Bethnal Green Rd. and W. of Cambridge Rd. assigned 1843. (fn. 22) Patron bp. Grants from Metropolis Ch. trustees 1843 and Q. A. B. 1854. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £224 p.a. 1843, £50 p.a. 1869, and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. 1853. (fn. 23) Gross income £296, with £100 paid to curate by Pastoral Aid Soc., c. 1858 but incumbent called for ch. rates and better endowment, partly for Nat. schs. (fn. 24) Large Gothic Vicarage built between 1858 and 1873, (fn. 25) where bad sanitation led to typhoid 1884. (fn. 26) Chas. Kirton, V. 1864-1904, ill from 1884, when curates-in-charge inc. Geo. Wyndham Hamilton Knight-Bruce 1884-6, promoter of Oxford Ho. and later bp. of Mashonaland, (fn. 27) and Herb. V. S. Eck. 1897-1902, supporter of Charity Organisation Soc. (fn. 28) Usually 2 or 3 curates from 1880s, 6 in 1894. Ch. had 900 free sittings 1851, when attendance 160 adults and 130 Sun. sch. children a.m., 165 adults and 24 Sun. sch. children p.m. (fn. 29) Attendance 1886: 144 a.m., 242 p.m.; 1903: 180 a.m., 349 p.m. Three Sun. svces. 1858, a.a. 60-80 a.m., c. 30 aft., 100-150 p.m.; svce. on Wed. and monthly H.C. with a.a. c. 30 communicants. (fn. 30) Aft. svce. dropped by 1866 and fully choral svces. introduced 1880s; H.C. on Sun. and saints' days and 2 daily svces by 1889. Aided by Metropolitan Dist. Visiting Soc. and scripture reader who held mtgs. 1858; ch. supported libr. and bible classes. (fn. 31) By 1890s charitable income said to be flowing in and ch. ran mission in Cambridge Rd. (fn. 32) Brick bldg. in 'vague Italian Romanesque' style by Thos. Hen. Wyatt and David Brandon 1841: 3-sided apse, tower and stone turret at end of N. aisle. (fn. 33) Demol. after par. united with St. Mat. 1958 (fn. 34)
St. Barnabas, Grove Rd. Originated as St. Luke's mission run by St. Simon Zelotes 1865. (fn. 35) Dist. assigned from St. Jas. the Less and St. Simon Zelotes 1870. (fn. 36) Patron V. of St. Jas. the Less for first turn, then bp., from 1904 dean and chapter of Canterbury. Eccl. Com. granted £200 p.a. 1871; (fn. 37) benefice valued at £300 1881. (fn. 38) Large brick Vicarage S. of Roman Rd. built 1876. (fn. 39) Geo. Barnes, V. 1870-1902, also president of Sion college 1887 and rural dean of Spitalfields 1898-1901. (fn. 40) Svces. fully choral by 1881; 4 svces., inc. 2 H.C., on Sun. and 1 each weekday. Ch. had 700 free seats. Attendance 1886: 123 a.m., 188 p.m.; 1903: 67 a.m., 212 p.m. Asst. curate from 1882, 3 in 1911. Most active period before 1914 saw Nat. sch. in Lanfranc Rd. rebuilt as St. Barnabas institute and ch. hall 1906. Faculty granted to fit N. end of W. aisle as chapel for daily svces. 1908. Institute used for svces. 1942-56. Living suspended 1967, part of Bow team ministry 1968. Union with St. Paul, Old Ford, proposed 1975 but after local protests priest-in-charge appointed for independent par. 1976. By 1985 laity maintained ch. financially, visited all homes 3 times a year, and used ch. as mtg. place of numerous clubs. (fn. 41) Bldg., not oriented, former Bapt. chapel (fn. 42) of yellow brick with bands of red and black in Gothic style by Wm. Wigginton 1865, consecr. for Ch. of Eng. 1870: broad chancel, nave, W. gallery, octagonal NW. tower with spire. After war damage, steeple removed 1947. Ch. rebuilt by J. A. Lewis, retaining tower and N. and S. walls without arcades, 1956-7. (fn. 43)
St. Bartholomew, Essex (later Buckhurst) St. Dist. assigned 1844 from St. Mat. 1844. Patron bp., (fn. 44) from 1884 corp. of Lond. (fn. 45) Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £80 p.a. 1864, and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. from of St. Cath. Coleman (Lond.) 1847. Apportioned part of income of St. Peter upon Cornhill (Lond.) 1885, varied 1916. (fn. 46) Income from St. Cath. extinguished by capital payment 1949. (fn. 47) Gothic parsonage built N. of ch. (fn. 48) Ch. had 950 free sittings 1858, when attendance 300 a.m., 100 aft., 500 p.m. (fn. 49) Attendance 1886: 120 a.m., 155 p.m.; 1903: 92 a.m., 118 p.m. Three svces. on Sun. with sermons Thurs. evg. and saints' days 1858; H.C. on alternate Sun. with a.a. 40 communicants and c. 130 at Easter. (fn. 50) Only a.m. and aft. Sun. svce. 1866. Alf. Ric. Clemens, V. 1886-1932, (fn. 51) introduced partly choral svces., H.C. every Sun., Thurs., and saints' days by 1889; 200 communicants on roll c. 1891. (fn. 52) Sung Eucharist every Sun. by 1906; (fn. 53) rood screen and other High Ch. fittings during first two decades of 20th cent. (fn. 54) Three clergy, dist. visitors, missionary assoc., maternity and provident socs. from early 1850s. (fn. 55) Two asst. curates, paid respectively £100 p.a. by City merchant and £65 p.a. by Additional Curates Soc., besides lay scripture reader, paid £70 by Scripture Readers' Assoc., and presumably unpaid women dist. visitors, c. 1858. (fn. 56) John Drummond MacGachen, V. 1861- 86, apparently had no asst. curate but generally at least 1 until 1920s. (fn. 57) Helpers, inc. from univ. settlements, associated in 32 ch. activities c. 1891. Mission work inc. preaching from pulpit attached to exterior of ch., street svces., and attempted mission at 'Tiger's Corner'; (fn. 58) mission ho., temp. occupied by founders of St. Margaret's Ho., 1892; (fn. 59) hall hired at no. 34 Tent St. from 1897, (fn. 60) replaced by St. Martin's mission 1899 and by par. hall N. of ch. 1934. (fn. 61) Bldg. of stock brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style, accommodating 1,058, by Wm. Railton, on site acquired 1841, consecr. 1844: chancel, transepts, aisled and clerestoried nave, SW. unfinished tower, W. gallery. (fn. 62) Alterations 1887; (fn. 63) bomb damage 1941 when svces. held in hall (fn. 64) until ch. reopened 1955. (fn. 65) Presentation suspended 1971 and par. united with St. John and St. Simon Zelotes under team mins., with V. at St. Barts. parsonage, under pastoral scheme 1978. Ch. closed and appropriated to residential use under Ch. Com. Scheme 1983; (fn. 66) converted into flats, Steeple Court, by 1996.
St. James the Great, Bethnal Green Rd. Dist. assigned 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £35 p.a. 1869, and by Q.A.B. with £25 p.a. 1853 and £2,400 consols 1856. (fn. 67) Parsonage built adjoining E. end of ch. 1842. (fn. 68) Attendance 1851: 160 adults and 200 children a.m. 30 adults and 80 children aft., 300 adults and 40 children p.m.; (fn. 69) 1886: 55 a.m., 56 p.m.; 1903: 133 a.m., 254 p.m.; a.a. 1967: 100-150 a.m. (fn. 70) Two full svces., occasional Sun. aft. svce., and monthly H.C. with a.a. 5-20 communicants 1858. (fn. 71) Three svces. on weekdays by 1889. Edw. Fras. Coke, V. 1852-97, raised money for poor by advertising in Times, helped found Queen Adelaide's dispensary, and offered marriages for fee of 7d. (fn. 72) Ensuing rowdy scenes as couples, many very young, married in batches aroused hostility of fellow clergymen, as did Coke's attitude to poor; grant for curate stopped, but Coke raised funds by appeal and, except 1856-62, par. never without asst. curate. (fn. 73) Aided by visiting soc. and young Sun. sch. teachers 1858, when ch. had libr. though not much used. (fn. 74) V. later resident outside par., when fabric neglected and ch. 'almost empty'. Reformation began under asst. curate Geo. M. Stüppell, 1885-92, who ended cheap weddings. (fn. 75) Fred. Gibson Wix, V. 1897-9, former curate of St. Thos., restored fabric and introduced High Ch. practices, provoking clashes at reopening of ch. 1898. (fn. 76) Royal Com. on Eccl. Discipline investigated H.C. 1904, when stations of cross featured. (fn. 77) New side chapel for daily svces. 1906. (fn. 78) Fred. A. Iremonger, V. 1912-16, introduced simplified svce. in place of evensong, daily office 1913, and daily Eucharist 1914. Requiem masses during war. (fn. 79) Incense first used 1917, Guild of the Altar pledging members to weekly communion, formed 1918, reservation of sacrament from 1923, confessions by 1929, Corpus Christi celebrated 1930. (fn. 80) Financial difficulties lessened under Iremonger, aided by 3 curates and members of Oxford Ho., of which he was head. (fn. 81) Assistance from Sisters of Soc. of St. Marg. from St. Saviour's priory, Haggerston, by 1965, withdrawn 1975. (fn. 82) Mission svces. in connexion with Church Army 1902; (fn. 83) used hall in Florida St. by 1913, rebuilt as Florida hall 1922 and as club 1956. (fn. 84) Ch. supported range of clubs, inc. choral soc. 1920; (fn. 85) prison visiting a high priority of priest-in-charge 1967. (fn. 86) Cost of ch. and parsonage met by Geo. Harrold, 'medical man', and sister. (fn. 87) Bldg., called 'Red ch.' because first in E. End built of red brick, (fn. 88) in Early Eng. style, with 1,153 free sittings by Edw. Blore on site acquired 1840, consecr. 1844: short sanctuary, N. and S. transepts, narrow aisled nave; 'poor' bell turret (fn. 89) at W. angle of S. transept; galleries, inc. W. organ gallery on iron pillars. Gallery removed, ch. reroofed, and chancel added 1897-8. Iron chancel screen erected and S. transept made into side chapel 1906. Site scheduled for development as social club 1975-6 when interior of ch. rearranged. (fn. 90) Par. united with St. Jude under Scheme of 1951. (fn. 91) Presentation of V. suspended 1956 and R. of St. Mat. made priest-in-charge with asst. curate at St. Jas. Vicarage. Curate made priest-in-charge 1962-9, when par. united with St. Mat. and St. Peter under team mins. Presentation suspended 1972 and priest-in-charge appointed until 1984, when St. Jas. the Great with St. Jude united with St. Mat. (fn. 92) Ch. and Vicarage converted into flats, St. Jas. Court, by 1996.
St. James The Less, St. James's Rd. (later Ave.). Dist. assigned from St. Mat. 1843. (fn. 93) Patron bp., from 1903 Church Pastoral Aid Soc. Patronage Trust. (fn. 94) Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1843 and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. 1853; (fn. 95) grants of £70 p.a. 1866 and £60 p.a. for asst. curate 1903. Grey-brick parsonage built N. of ch. by 1846. (fn. 96) Attendance 1851: 100 a.m., 30 p.m.; (fn. 97) 1886: 282 a.m., 298 p.m.; 1903: 377 a.m., 1,322 p.m. Two svces. on Sun., one on Wed. and monthly H.C. with a.a. c. 50 communicants 1858. (fn. 98) Partly choral Sun. p.m. svces. from 1880s and weekly H.C. by 1903; (fn. 99) a.a. communicants at Easter 26 in 1897, 915 in 1914, 79 in 1919, 217 in 1939, 110 in 1946, 74 in 1964. (fn. 100) Aided by curate and visitors 1858, when ch. ran bible class and provident soc. (fn. 101) Usually one asst. curate but 6 under John E. Watts-Ditchfield, V. 1897-1914 and later bp. of Chelmsford. (fn. 102) WattsDitchfield, (fn. 103) arriving when par. in 'state of spiritual torpor', was former Wes. preacher and 'notable example of the successful evangelical clergyman'. Promoted range of activities, inc. men's Sun. aft. svce., (fn. 104) using brass band and inviting men from public hos. Churchyard converted into recreation ground and I sch. into medical mission and dispensary. Open-air svces. at corner of Green and Bonner streets. Mission svces. at no. 78 Cranbrook Rd. 1899-1901, when replaced by former nonconf. chapel in Sidney St. where attendance 1903: 16 a.m., 124 p.m.; also in working men's hostel, converted from 3 hos. in Ames St., purchased 1901; attendance 1903: 79 p.m. Anonymous donor financed refurbishment of ch. and schs. and range of new par. bldgs., opened 1901. (fn. 105) Inc. St. James's Rd. where attendance 1903: 80 p.m., and St. James's hall, Sewardstone Rd., where accommodation for 1,000 and attendance 1903: 169 a.m., 179 p.m. Ridley Ho. opened 1904 for asst. curates. Watts-Ditchfield also assisted by 6-8 women, one of them a nurse. (fn. 106) Numbers fell after his resignation, men's svce. being replaced by children's 1930. (fn. 107) Only 2 asst. clergy by 1919 but tradition continued with Lond. City Missionary and woman ch. worker after Second World War. (fn. 108) Sidney (later Longman) St. mission chapel survived until Second World War and Ames St. hostel in 1919. (fn. 109) Hall converted to flats for asst. clergy by 1959. (fn. 110) Bldg. of yellow, red, and white brick and stone in Romanesque style, with 488 pews and 645 free seats, by Lewis Vulliamy on part of Bonner's Hall est. acquired 1841, consecr. 1842: (fn. 111) shallow semicircular apse, wide aisled nave with galleries; criticized for W. pediment and 'pretending wheel window' and for square SW tower with spire 'of very great pretension'. (fn. 112) Altered 1908, (fn. 113) damaged 1940; temp. ch. dedicated 1951. (fn. 114) Ch. rebuilt by J. A. Lewis, preserving N. and S. walls, chancel arch, and tower, and reconsecrated 1961. (fn. 115) Par. united with St Mark, Old Ford, which was closed 1973.
St. John, Cambridge (Heath) Rd. Chapel of ease to St. Mat. 1828. Dist. E. of Cambridge Rd. assigned 1837. (fn. 116) Patron Brasenose Coll., Oxf., from 1844 bp. (fn. 117) All pew rents, except £20 p.a. for clerk, assigned to perpetual curate 1828 but reduced to £170 by 1842. (fn. 118) Endowed by Q. A. B. with £150 p.a. from St. Cath. Coleman, 1847, with £1,191 consols 1849, and £387 stock 1854. (fn. 119) Gross income £400 c. 1858, of which pew rents c. £150 and surplice fees c. £75. (fn. 120) Falling pew rents led to Eccl. Com. grants 1869 and 1880 but value of living only £270 by 1881. (fn. 121) Vicarage built on former Poor's Land E. of ch. 1852, (fn. 122) enlarged by G.M. Hills 1879 and damaged by bombing 1941; St. Simon Zelotes's Vicarage used from 1951 until replaced by no. 30 Victoria Pk. Sq. 1975. (fn. 123) Early incumbents were fellows of Brasenose Coll. Probably Low. Ch., with 'mean, uncovered altar table'1831. Bryan King, perpetual curate 1837-42, nephew of R. Joshua King but ritualist and promoter of Blomfield's scheme; difficulty in appointing successor from Brasenose because vestry refused finance from ch. rate. (fn. 124) Three Sun. and 2 weekday svces. with 4 sermons a week and monthly H.C. with c. 80 communicants 1858; also p.m. svce., a.a. 50-80, during week in schoolroom. (fn. 125) Svces. partly choral by 1866, fully by 1871, with Anglican and Gregorian music and altar lights by 1889. Five Sun. svces. by 1914. Attendance 1851: 700 adults and 380 children a.m., 50 adults and 12 children aft., 1,300 adults and 100 children p.m.; (fn. 126) a.a. 1858: 1,000 a.m. and p.m. Sun., 50 weekdays. (fn. 127) Attendance 1886, under 'well known High Churchman' (fn. 128) Hen. B. Bromby, V. 1885- 92, 536 a.m., 625 p.m.; 1903: 101 a.m., 211 p.m. Head of Episcopal Jews' chapel acted as B. King's curate 1841. (fn. 129) Curate, paid £90 by Curates Pastoral Aid Soc., by incumbent, and by subscriptions, from 1857. Usually 1, in 1890s 3, asst. curates. Also scripture reader and 24 women visitors 1858, when ch. supported provident soc., libr., and bible class. (fn. 130) Hugh Huleatt, V. 1879-85 and superintendent of Lond. City Mission dist., opened mission in Peel Grove 1881 and held open-air svces. 1883; parochial mission woman employed 1889. (fn. 131) Bldg. of brick with stone dressings, seating 2,000, inc. 1,200 free, on Poor's Land acquired by Com. for New Chs., by Sir John Soane 1826-8: (fn. 132) chancel, E. vestries, aisled nave with round-headed windows, and W. galleries; W. tower with cupola a 'monstrous excrescence' and 'object of low wit and vulgar abuse'. Combination of massive rectangular W. facade with small tower considered typical of architect but marred by com.'s budget. (fn. 133) Restored after fire 1870 by Wm. Mundy but 'clumsiest tracery' in windows spoiled Grecian style of original. (fn. 134) Chancel extended by G. F. Bodley 1888. (fn. 135) Altered 1892, (fn. 136) damaged 1941, svces. held in crypt. (fn. 137) Under Scheme of 1951, N. part of par. united with St. Jas. the Less and rest with St. Simon Zelotes with St. Ant. to form par. of St. John with St. Simon. (fn. 138) Under Scheme of 1978, united with St. Bart. to form St. John with St. Bart. St. John's remained par. ch., after 1978 run by team ministry of R., chosen by Patronage Board and resident in St. John's parsonage, and V., chosen by bp. and R. and resident at St. Bartholomew's parsonage. (fn. 139)
St. Jude, Old Bethnal Green Rd. Dist. assigned from St. Mat. 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £80 p.a. 1863, and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. from St. Cath. Coleman 1847. (fn. 140) Parsonage built S. of ch. (fn. 141) Attendance 1851: 500 adults and 250 children a.m., 700 p.m.; (fn. 142) a.a. c. 1858: 300 a.m., 400 p.m.; (fn. 143) attendance 1886: 175 a.m., 197 p.m.; 1903: 126 a.m., 279 p.m. Programme of svces. 'very scanty' 1848. (fn. 144) Two Sun. svces. with sermons, one during week, and monthly H.C. with c. 65 communicants 1858; (fn. 145) H.C. still monthly 1889 but weekly by 1897; Easter communicants 37 in 1892, 90 in 1900. (fn. 146) City Missionary scripture reader and women visitors but no curate 1858, when ch. supported young men's assoc., provident soc., and libr. (fn. 147) Usually 1 and, after grant by E. Lond. Church Fund 1898-1908, 2 asst. curates. Alf. Struügnell, V. 1868-97, later often left curate in sole charge. Wilfred Davies, curate 1892-6, raised money for repair of ch. and schs. (fn. 148) and for institute and iron bldg. and soup kitchen in St. Jude's St. and Old Bethnal Green Rd. (fn. 149) Mission svces. at institute 1914; (fn. 150) open-air svces. in George Gdns. and Punderson's Gdns. Ch., helped by Oxford Ho., supported brigades, temperance and bible classes, wide range of clubs, and penny bank; country holidays for mothers and children. (fn. 151) Bldg. of yellow brick and stone in 'German Romanesque' style, seating 1,110 inc. 300 free, by Hen. Clutton on site acquired 1842, consecr. 1846: apsidal chancel, transepts, barrel roofed and clerestoried nave with N. and S. galleries, 2 towers with short spires in W. angle of transepts. Criticized for cold from lack of chimneys and for echo 1858. Restored 1869, altered six times 1878-1931, damaged by bombing 1940, and later demol. (fn. 152) Par. united with St. Jas. the Great under Scheme of 1951. (fn. 153)
St. Matthias, Hare (later Cheshire) St. Dist. assigned from SW. part of St. Mat. 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £50 p.a. 1864, and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. from St. Cath. Coleman 1847. (fn. 154) Incumbent allowed £25 p.a. to rent ho. 1857, but refused to live in unhealthy dist. (fn. 155) Site N. of Bethnal Green Rd., next to Gibraltar Walk, for parsonage blt. to design by Wm. White 1881, but V. still non-resident. 1889. (fn. 156) Attendance 1851: 150 adults and 300 children a.m., 400 p.m.; (fn. 157) a.a. 500-600 Sun. p.m. in summer, 800 winter but 'comparatively thin' a.m. c. 1858; attendance 1886: 103 a.m., 317 p.m.; 1903: 115 a.m., 163 p.m. Three Sun. svces., one weekday, and H.C. twice a month after p.m. svce. with a.a. 120-30 communicants c. 1858. (fn. 158) Svces. partly choral by 1866. Four Sun. svces. by 1914. First incumbent, 'energetic and popular', took poor for country excursions. Throughout 1850s close association with Lond. City Mission, which supplied 2 missionaries; (fn. 159) assisted by 2 curates, 2 lay scripture readers, and 2 men and 9 women visitors c. 1858. Curates held 3 svces. a week in schoolroom and readers held cottage lectures and bible classes. Ch. supported young men's class, provident soc., and libr. (fn. 160) Later usually 1 or no asst. curate. V. established industrial sch. 1868; (fn. 161) V.'s 'painstaking' work noted 1898. (fn. 162) Bldg. of yellow brick with stone dressings in 'Byzantine' or Romanesque style, seating 1,300 free, by T.H. Wyatt and D. Brandon 1846-8: apsidal sanctuary, short chancel, aisled and clerestoried nave, W. gallery, octagonal SW tower with spire. (fn. 163) St. Matthias's par. united with St. Mat. 1954 and ch. demol. 1957. (fn. 164)
St. Paul, Virginia Row. Dist. assigned from St. Matthias and St. Thos. 1865. First incumbent appointed by perpetual curate of St. Matthias and second by abp. of Canterbury by lapse; patron thereafter bp., from 1896/1900 dean and chapter of Canterbury. (fn. 165) Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £200 p.a. 1866. (fn. 166) Grant 1883 for parsonage built in Gosset St. 1899. (fn. 167) Attendance 1886: 34 a.m., 105 p.m.; 1903: 136 a.m., 201 p.m. Three Sun. svces., one weekday, H.C. twice a month 1889. First V. former curate of St. Matthias, (fn. 168) third former dissenting min. and curate of St. Simon Zelotes and St. Phil. (fn. 169) V. commended for conscientiousness 1898. (fn. 170) Among poorest benefices, with one and often no asst. curate. (fn. 171) Institute built in Gosset St. 1896. (fn. 172) High Ch. V., R. C. Jones, attracted more than 1,000 to Sun. p.m. svces. c. 1936. (fn. 173) Bldg. of stock brick with bands of red and black, seating 900, by Wm. Wigginton 1863- 4: chancel, aisled nave, NE. tower. Damaged by bombing and demol. when par. united with St. Mat. 1951. (fn. 174)
St. Peter, St. Peter's St. (later Ave.). Dist. assigned from St. Mat. 1843. Patron bp., from 1889/92 corp. of Lond. (fn. 175) Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1843, £50 p.a. 1865, and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. from St. Cath. Coleman 1847. (fn. 176) Parsonage built by Vulliamy at same time as ch. but in poor repair 1858. (fn. 177) Three Sun. svces. with large congregations, 30-40 at H.C., and regular attendants at twice daily prayers 1842. (fn. 178) Attendance 1851: 510 a.m., 90 aft., 610 p.m.; (fn. 179) a.a. c. 1858: 300 a.m., 70 aft., 250 p.m.; (fn. 180) attendance 1886: 286 a.m., 284 p.m.; 1903: 79 a.m., 140 p.m. Three Sun. svces. and 2 sermons, 2 daily svces, and H.C. twice a month 1858. (fn. 181) Partly choral by 1866, fully from 1880s when weekly H.C. By 1908 202 Easter communicants, H.C. twice on Sun., once choral, and once during week. (fn. 182) Daily office 1911. (fn. 183) John Graham Packer, V. 1841-73, bullied free thinker Chas. Bradlaugh (d. 1891), in 1840s a Sun. sch. teacher at St. Peter's, and perhaps drove him out of Ch. (fn. 184) Par. supported libr. and was assisted by visiting soc. connected with metropolitan soc. 1858. (fn. 185) V. non-resident by 1870, when curate at parsonage. (fn. 186) Edw. Hyndman Beckles, V. 1873-1902 and bp. of Sierra Leone, lived in Suss. while G. H. Woolley, curate 1887-1903 and father of archaeologist Sir Leonard, found parsonage too small and lived in schoolmaster's ho. and part of sch. Wm. Hen. Maynard, V. 1903-30, raised funds to restore ch., extend Vicarage, and inaugurate many clubs and missions. (fn. 187) Mission svces. at St. Peter's schs. 1903 when attendance 101 p.m. Nos. 40-42 St. Peter's St., inc. mission room formerly used by Mildmay Trust, leased 1903 until par. hall and institute built on site of nos. 50-2 Warner Pl. 1912, where svces. held 1914. (fn. 188) Asst. curate paid £80 p.a. by Additional Curates Soc. 1858. (fn. 189) Usually 1 curate, sometimes 2 or more, especially in late 19th cent. (fn. 190) Bldg., first of Blomfield's chs., of flint, stone, and stock brick in Romanesque style with 472 pews and 658 free seats, by Lewis Vulliamy 1840-1: sanctuary, large nave, W. porch beneath square tower with octagonal lantern and spire. (fn. 191) In bad repair c. 1858, (fn. 192) altered 1891, (fn. 193) restored, with galleries removed and NE. vestry added, 1905; SE. choir vestry by E. T. Dunn. 1911. Damaged by bombing 1941 and svces. held in former sch. until ch. reconsecr. 1955. (fn. 194) Scheme of 1951 united par. with St. Thos. and part of St. Jude in new par. centred on St. Peter's. (fn. 195) Served by visiting clergy, V. of St. Jas. the Great, and Church Army 1963-72, then by priest-in-charge, made V. 1978. (fn. 196) Church hall, of red brick with stone dressings and in Tudor style, built 1912, survived in Warner place in 1996.
St. Philip, Friar's Mount (later Swanfield St.). 'Clergyman' appointed 1842 and dist. assigned from St. Mat. 1843. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. and £74 1843, £64 p.a. 1863, and by Q. A. B. with £50 1853; (fn. 197) Further £50 p.a. after closure of Holy Trinity 1926. (fn. 198) Parsonage built S. of ch. 1862. (fn. 199) Attendance 1851: 130 adults and 200 children a.m., 300 adults and 120 children p.m.; (fn. 200) 1886: 121 a.m., 245 p.m.; 1903: 122 a.m., 116 p.m. Two Sun. svces., litany twice weekly, and a.a. 40 communicants 1858. (fn. 201) By 1889 H.C. twice a month and 2 weekday svces.; 4 Sun. svces. by 1914. Poorest par., as 'the Nichol', where clergy mainly concerned with material distress. Geo. Alstone, incumbent 1842-51, declined fees for baptisms; (fn. 202) Jas. Trevitt, 1851-72, exposed conditions in letters to press. (fn. 203) Asst. curate paid £80 by Additional Curates Soc. 1858, when 3 curates needed and want of funds 'oppressive'. (fn. 204) Metropolitan Dist. Visiting Soc. paid £80 p.a. to support 40 visitors 1861, when ch. ran several schs., socs., and library. (fn. 205) From 1870 usually 1 and sometimes no asst. curate, especially after 1918. (fn. 206) Ch. said c. 1898 to dispense indiscriminate charity and work 'confined to children'. (fn. 207) Par. room, later boys' club, built N. of ch. 1902. (fn. 208) Bldg. of stock brick with red mouldings and stone dressings in Romanesque style, seating 1,100 free, by T. L. Walker 1841-2: shallow chancel, nave, twin short W. towers and low spires. (fn. 209) Under Scheme of 1954 par. united with St. Mat. Ch. then used as ch. furniture store until demol. 1966. (fn. 210)
St. Simon Zelotes, Morpeth St. (fn. 211) Dist. assigned from St. John and St. Jas. the Less 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844 and £50 1865 and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. 1853. (fn. 212) Parsonage, to S., built at same time as ch. (fn. 213) Attendance 1851: 99 adults and 94 children a.m., 150 adults and 17 children p.m.; (fn. 214) 1886: 109 a.m., 159 p.m.; 1903: 183 a.m., 216 p.m. Two Sun. svces., occasional aft. svce. in schoolroom, and monthly H.C. with a.a. 15-32 communicants 1858. (fn. 215) Three, partly choral, Sun. svces. and daily svce. 1881. Weekly H.C. by 1914. Incumbent (fn. 216) usually assisted by curate, paid £80 p.a. and by scripture reader and 9 visitors from Metropolitan Visiting Assoc. 1858, when ch. supported provident soc. and par. libr. (fn. 217) Three curates before the First World War. Mission in Surat St. c. 1898 and par. bldgs. erected in Warley St. 1907. (fn. 218) Bldg. in Transitional Gothic style, seating 933 free, by Ben. Ferrey, on site acquired 1840, consecr. 1847: chancel, aisled and clerestoried nave, W. galleries, belfry, and small tower. (fn. 219) Large window cut in W. wall 1912. (fn. 220) Damaged by bombing 1943-4 and later demol. (fn. 221) Par. united with St. Ant., Stepney, 1936 and, under Scheme of 1951, with St. John, Bethnal Green. (fn. 222) Parsonage served combined benefice until 1975. (fn. 223)
St. Thomas, Baroness Rd. Dist. assigned from St. Mat. 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £75 p.a. 1864, £25 p.a. 1865, and by Q. A. B. with £50 from St. Cath. Coleman 1847. (fn. 224) Annual grants from St. Paul, Hampstead, 1900-5. (fn. 225) Parsonage, to NE., built at same time as ch. (fn. 226) a.a. c. 1858: 150 a.m., 200 p.m.; (fn. 227) attendance 1886: 140 a.m., 220 p.m.; 1903: 156 a.m., 194 p.m. Three svces. with 2 sermons on Sun., 1 on Fri., and monthly H.C. with a.a. 40-50 communicants 1858. (fn. 228) Svces. fully choral with altar lights by 1881, when H.C. every Sun. and once on weekdays and 2 daily svces.; 5 Sun. svces. by 1914. Two asst. curates, paid respectively £100 by Church Pastoral Soc. and £80 by Curates Pastoral Aid Soc., and 11 women and 2 or 3 men visitors and 60-70 Sun. sch. teachers c. 1857. (fn. 229) After loss of a curate, incumbent complained of too few clergy 1858; (fn. 230) thereafter usually 1 asst. curate until 1930s. (fn. 231) Mission svces. in institute in Baroness Rd. c. 1914. Bldg. of Kentish rag in Early Eng. style, with 480 free sittings and 300 sittings for children, by Lewis Vulliamy on site in Nova Scotia Gdns. given by owners 1848 and financed by Wm. Cotton as memorial to son, consecr. 1850: short apsidal chancel, aisled nave, SW. tower. Altered 1892, restored 1909, damaged during Second World War, and demol. 1954. (fn. 232) Under Scheme of 1951 par. united with St. Peter. (fn. 233)
All Saints, Vyner St. Maria Pope of Kensington gave land behind no. 244 Cambridge Rd. to Christ Ch., S. Hackney, 1888. (fn. 234) Site nearby, at junction of Vyner and Mowlem streets, where mission ch. built at her expense 1894-5, sold by Maria Pope to trustees (inc. V. of Christ Ch.) appointed by bp. 1896. Premises inc. gym, club room, classrooms, and chapel seating 300. Attendance 1903: 30 a.m., 27 p.m. Bldg. of red brick and stone dressings, by J. E. K. and J. P. Cutts, used as mission c. 1914 but converted to workshop 1926 and later used as shoe factory. (fn. 235)
Petley Hall, Chilton St. Site on W. side opposite St. Matthias ch., with mission ho. and other bldgs. erected 1886, conveyed by C. R. C. Petley to Bp. of Lond.'s Fund for mission 1887. (fn. 236) Listed as place of worship c. 1898, mission hall 1910, and par. room of St. Matthias 1938. (fn. 237)
ST. Francis Of Assisi, Cambridge Rd. Former Birkbeck sch. (closed 1884) on. W. side opened as St. And.'s hall 1888. Clubroom and offices on lower floor, halls above. Attendance 1903: 34 p.m. Dilapidated by 1914 and reconstructed by Austin Durst 1919. Reopened as ch. of St. Francis of Assisi 1920 and used as mission until destroyed in war. (fn. 238)
ST. Martin Somerford St. Mission hall on site at corner of Somerford and Tapp streets, leased by Hilda Barry of St. Margaret's Ho. to St. Bart's par. 1899. (fn. 239) By 1927 owned by Lond. Diocesan Fund, which conveyed it to parochial ch. council of St. Bart. Always run as mission from St. Bart. with curate as priestin-charge, aided by mission women 1906. Attendance 1903: 69 p.m.; Sun. sch. and p.m. mission svce. each Sun. 1906. (fn. 240) Large redbrick bldg. with Bath stone dressings 1898-99. (fn. 241) Sold to L.C.C. 1934 when St. Bart. built new par. hall. (fn. 242) Closed by 1939 and destroyed in war. (fn. 243)
Oxford House, (fn. 244) Derbyshire St. Founded 1884 by group led by warden of Keble Coll., Oxf., alarmed at undenom. nature of recently opened Toynbee Hall. Conceived as settlement for Anglican graduates to provide religious, social, and educational svces. for East End and to acquire practical experience, especially if they intended to take holy orders. G. W. H. Knight-Bruce, (fn. 245) curate of St. And.'s, offered Nat. sch. next to ch., converted into clubroom and for 2 residents. More rooms rented in ho. until large red-brick bldg. by Sir Art. Blomfield erected in Derbyshire St. 1891. (fn. 246) Provided clubs for men and boys, dispensary, workshops, lectures, reading rooms, and legal advice. Mission svces. in large iron Oxford hall, built behind no. 17 Victoria Park Sq. 1887, (fn. 247) at chapel belonging to Webbe institute, founded 1888, and in chs. (fn. 248) By 1899 eight Bethnal Green pars. receiving help, especially in visiting and running clubs, from Oxford Ho. and 7 clergy former residents. Heads of Oxford Ho. inc. A. F. Winnington-Ingram (1889-97) and B. R. Wilson (1897-1901), successive R.s under whom Rectory housed members of Ho., and Fred. A. Iremonger (1911- 6), also V. of St. Jas. the Great. (fn. 249) Often resented as rival by local clergy, especially after First World War. Oxf. institutions provided 68 per cent. of finance 1885, 9 per cent. 1914. Women residents and club members from 1937; first married head of ho. 1938. After 1945 local element dominant and mainly a community centre, financial difficulties bringing temp. closure 1969. Reopened but no longer residential and religious dimension almost entirely lost. Housed Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement 1992. (fn. 250)
Ridley House, (fn. 251) St. James's Rd. Univ. settlement by evangelical wing of Ch. of Eng. linked with Ridley Hall, Camb. and Wycliffe Hall, Oxf., opened next to St. Jas. the Less ch. 1904. V., J. E. Watts-Ditchfield, first warden. Housed candidates for holy orders, (fn. 252) under supervision of V. and, for shorter periods, other univ. men and outside clergy interested in East End. Social and medical svces. provided but emphasis on spiritual appeal.
ST. Margaret's House, (fn. 253) 21 Old Ford Rd. Women's branch of Oxford Ho. founded 1889, run by cttee. of Oxf. women and alumnae of Cheltenham Ladies' Coll. Opened Mayfield Ho., nos. 1-3 Old Ford Rd., providing for women svces. similar to those of Oxford Ho. (fn. 254) Oxf. group moved to St. Bart.'s mission ho. 1892 and leased no. 4 Victoria Park Sq., which opened as St. Margaret's Ho. 1893. Leased University Ho. at no. 17 Victoria Park Sq. 1895. Both replaced by no. 21 Old Ford Rd., purchased from Female Guardians Assoc. 1900, where chapel by Paul Waterhouse opened 1904. (fn. 255) By 1912 residents active in 6 pars., running schs. and social and welfare organizations. Recognized as training centre for ch. workers 1922 and for social workers 1929. Involved with Citizens' Advice Bureau 1939-89. No. 19 Old Ford Rd. acquired 1946 and association with local govt. strengthened after war. Cozy club, claimed as first old age pensioners' club in Lond., started 1936, became day centre for pensioners 1957. Youth clubs declined until 1962 when community svce. volunteers established. Formal connexion with Oxford Ho. severed 1966 and other groups housed from 1970s, inc. Newpin (parent and infant network), Tower Hamlets Vietnamese Families Assoc., and work centre and social club for elderly. Financial difficulties brought proposal to sell no. 19 Old Ford Rd. 1989. Still resident Christian settlement 1990.
ST. Hilda's East, (fn. 256) 18 Club Row. Settlement left at Mayfield Ho. after foundation of St. Margaret's Ho. built hall and residence at no. 3 Old Nichol St., in new Boundary Street est., which opened as St. Hilda's East 1898. (fn. 257) Contained chapel and carried out parochial and non-parochial work inc. help with nursery schs. and social clubs and for unemployed. Bldg. opposite, no. 18 Club Row, on site of Nichol ragged sch. and mission, purchased 1944. Reconstructed after bomb damage as Bruce hall, opened 1950. Bldg. in Old Nichol St. had 15 residents, mostly social science students, c. 1950, by which time Anglican connexion much attenuated; men admitted from 1950. (fn. 258) Bldg. given up 1964 and later used by Cheshire Foundation as mental health hostel. Club Row bldg. used for young and old people's social activities and new day centre opened 1968. Increasing involvement of local community. Immigration caused friction with vandalizing of youth club bldgs., leading to closure of youth section by I.L.E.A. 1973. Rebuilt 1977. Club Row club opened 1975, with bar by 1981 which was later closed to attract Muslims. No specific religious connexion 1990, rebuilt 1994. (fn. 259)