A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 2, General; Ashford, East Bedfont With Hatton, Feltham, Hampton With Hampton Wick, Hanworth, Laleham, Littleton. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
It has been mentioned that Henry VIII when subdividing the Home Park and Bushey Park at Hampton converted portions of them into the course, 144 acres, and the hare warren, 380 acres in extent, and that he and several other sovereigns, and notably William III, with whom it was a favourite pastime, were greatly addicted to coursing, then called hunting. (fn. 1) In modern times the Home Park was used by two coursing societies, the Amicable and the Speltham, which were eventually amalgamated into the South of England Coursing Club. (fn. 2) The sport, which had considerably declined in 1899, has, however, now been abandoned, and the Home Park is occupied by a golf club.