A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3, Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1962.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In the 12th century Westminster Abbey leased 3 hides in Sunbury and Teddington to Hugh Warner, but he afterwards surrendered them and received a freehold estate in Teddington instead. (fn. 1)
The great tithes of Kempton manor and part of those of Charlton early became separated from the church estate. Robert, Count of Mortain, who held Kempton in 1086, was a great benefactor of the Abbey of Grestain (Eure), and gave to it the tithes of the manor. (fn. 2) In 1246 the abbey held a house and 5 acres of land at Kempton and granted the land to John of the Field. (fn. 3) Tithes belonging to the abbey are recorded in 1272-3 and in 1291 the abbey's tithes were worth £1 6s. 8d. and its rents 6s. (fn. 4) The tithes were probably exchanged with the Dean and Chapter of Chichester or granted to them after the suppression of alien priories. Except for an intermission during the Interregnum these tithes remained with Chichester (fn. 5) until the inclosure, when they were commuted for some 9 acres on the south side of Nursery Road. (fn. 6) Some if not all the land was sold in 1861. (fn. 7)
In 1291 the prior of St. Bartholomew's, Smithfield, had property in Sunbury valued at £1 6s. 8d. (fn. 8) This comprised two-thirds of the tithes of corn of Charlton manor, the remaining third still belonging to the main rectorial estate. The two-thirds were taken by the Crown at the Dissolution, (fn. 9) and by 1591 had come into the possession of Charles Yetswiert, lessee of Sunbury manor. In the 17th century they passed to the owner of Charlton manor, who retained them until they were commuted for an allotment of 21 acres at the inclosure. (fn. 10)
From the 15th to the 17th century property in Sunbury parish is mentioned in connexion with the manors of Astlam and Littleton. (fn. 11)