A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3, Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1962.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1640 and 1706 there were no known or suspected papists in the parish. (fn. 1) A woman who died in 1726 was reputed to have been a papist. (fn. 2) It has been stated that from 1849 a priest from Weybridge held services in a cottage in the Staines Road, which was later demolished when the railway was built, that a cottage in Park Road was used later, and that in 1855 stables in Hanworth Road were used for a church and school. (fn. 3) By 1862 a chapel dedicated to St. Ignatius of Loyola was being served from North Hyde. (fn. 4) In the Ordnance Survey map of 1864-5, where it is called St. Leonard's, a Roman Catholic chapel is marked in the Hanworth Road. (fn. 5) This building is now (1957) used as a workshop. The present church of St. Ignatius in Green Street was opened in 1869. (fn. 6) It was designed by C. A. Buckler in the Early English style and consists of a nave, chancel, and one aisle, all built of rustic stone.
St. Teresa's Convent of the Sisters of Charity of St. Paul was established in 1926, with a school, in the house called Sunbury Manor. (fn. 7)