A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3, Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1962.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The first mention of a mill in Cranford is in 1604, when a windmill was included in the conveyance of the manors to Sir Roger Aston. (fn. 1) The mill was still there in 1619 when one quarter of the manors came to Lady Berkeley, (fn. 2) but by 1625 it had probably been pulled down. (fn. 3) The position of the mill is uncertain, but it was probably on the west bank of the river, near Cranford Lane, and near a gate leading to the common-land there. (fn. 4) There are no further references to any mill as actually in existence.
In 1650 Cranford joined the neighbouring parishes in petitioning for a corn-mill to be built near the sword-blade mills on Hounslow Heath, (fn. 5) which were on the Duke of Northumberland's River, but this mill was never in fact built.