A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3, Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1962.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A mill belonging to Merton Priory, which held Charlton manor, is mentioned in 1291. (fn. 1) A mill in Sunbury manor is mentioned in 1591 and again twelve years later. (fn. 2) This mill probably stood between Fordbridge Road and the Thames near The Creek, where there was a 'Mill Acre' in the early 18th century. (fn. 3) There was a water-mill in Kempton manor in the 16th century and one is mentioned in the 1650's. (fn. 4) It was apparently rebuilt by Carew Raleigh, the lord of the manor, in the mid-17th century and was situated on the eastern boundary stream. (fn. 5) There was a corn water-mill in Kempton Park in 1816. (fn. 6)
There was a windmill in 1311. (fn. 7) A copyhold windmill in Sunbury manor was standing in 1680 but 25 years later it was described as lately burnt down. (fn. 8) It was rebuilt before 1712 on the common west of Green Street and was still in existence in 1754. (fn. 9) It had evidently been superseded by a flour mill erected on the west side of Upper Halliford Road by 1819. There was a building on this site in 1895. (fn. 10)