A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1819 there were five fee-paying day schools in Hayes, together containing about 130 children, and two Sunday schools with 80 children. (fn. 1) A large school house in Hayes, unoccupied in 1829, (fn. 2) was still standing in 1834, although no longer called a school house. (fn. 3) By this date there were 9 day schools in the parish, one of which was a Lancasterian school started in 1832, with 60 boys and 40 girls, and supported by subscriptions and weekly fees. The other 8 schools were together attended by only 38 boys and 60 girls, and were all fee-paying institutions. There was one boarding-school, which had 24 boys. (fn. 4) None of the private and dame schools in the parish during the 19th century seems to have been long-lived. (fn. 5)
A National school is said to have been opened in 1836 at Wood End Green. (fn. 6) The National or Church of England school received a government grant in 1837 when it was attended by 125 children (fn. 7) and in 1842 a schoolroom, owned by trustees, stood at Wood End Green. (fn. 8) In 1859 Charles Mills, the lord of the manor, sold some land to the trustees of Dr. Triplett's charity in order to erect new schools in Hayes. (fn. 9) The girls' school was secured by a trust deed of 1857 and the boys' by a deed of 1860. The building was erected in 1861, and the schools, called Dr. Triplett's Charity School, received the income from the old National school which Dr. Triplett's replaced. The school also owned an endowment income of £100 a year which came from the charity. In return one-third of the school pence went to the charity funds. An infants' school was in existence at the same date, (fn. 10) and an infants' school building was added to the schools in 1866, opening in 1867. (fn. 11) The master and mistress of the old National school remained in their positions in Dr. Triplett's school, and a certificated assistant master was added to their staff. There was one female teacher. (fn. 12) The school did not qualify for a government grant in 1866, (fn. 13) but it had one by 1870. (fn. 14) The infants' school had a government grant by 1871. (fn. 15) In 1910 the organization of Dr. Triplett's schools was separated from the charity endowments of Petersham and Richmond (Surr.), with which it had been linked, and was formed into a separate organization to be run as a public elementary school. (fn. 16) The school was closed in 1963, but the Gothic-style buildings, yellow brick with red brick dressings, were still standing in Church Walk in 1968.
There was a school at Yeading before 1861 when the master and mistress transferred to the Biscoe school at Norwood. (fn. 17) This may have been the day school which by 1890 had been converted into a mission church. (fn. 18) The Yeading National school is mentioned in 1903. (fn. 19) The Church of England school, opened in 1904, (fn. 20) was closed in 1924. (fn. 21) A temporary elementary school was built in Clayton Road and opened in 1906 by the local authority. Its pupils were drawn from the Triplett school and the Harlington and Dawley National schools. This building was replaced in 1908 by the permanent school, also in Clayton Road, to which all the pupils were transferred. It consisted of junior, mixed, and infant schools, (fn. 22) and was attended by about 300 children. (fn. 23) A second block of buildings was opened in 1913; (fn. 24) the school was closed in 1931 on the opening of the Pinkwell School in Harlington. (fn. 25)
In September 1963 the old parish of Hayes contained seventeen maintained schools, which are set out below. The date at which the school was opened is given in brackets after the name of the school, followed by the dates of any extensions; the next figure is the number of children on the roll at September 1963, and the final figure denotes the agegroup of the pupils:
Dr. Triplett's C. of E. (1861, rebuilt 1963). 344. 5-11; Minet Junior and Infants (c. 1925-30, rebuilt 1954). 671. 5-11; Wood End Park Junior Mixed and Infants (1930). 712. 5-11; Townfield Boys Secondary (1930). 493. 11-16; Townfield Girls Secondary (1930). 466. 11-16; Botwell R.C. (1931, 1961). 661. 5-11; Yeading Junior (1932). 366. 7-11; Grange Park Junior (1938). 388. 7-11; Mellow Lane Comprehensive (1938, 1949, 1963). 1,000. 11-18; Grange Park Infants (1939). 345. 3-7; Yeading Infants (1939). 322. 5-7; Charville Junior and Infants (1947). 579. 3-11; Barnhill Secondary (1949). 819. 11-16; Hayes Park Junior and Infants (1954). 502. 3-11; Barnhill Junior and Infants (1955). 447. 5-11; Hayes County Grammar (1955). 612. 11-18; Our Lady and St. Anselm R.C. Secondary (1956). 452. 11-16. (fn. 26)
The Hayes Jewish Industrial School was probably opened in the mid 19th century. (fn. 27) Authority for the school was transferred to the school board in 1877, and the site of the school, with 12½ a., was bought from William Minet in 1899 by trustees or governors who included Lord Rothschild. It then stood at the corner of Uxbridge Road and Coldharbour Lane. In 1908 the school was ranked as a charity but it was later transferred to the Ministry of Education. (fn. 28) In 1908 the school was housed in a two-story red-brick building with a clock tower, surrounded by sports fields and gardens. (fn. 29) Later it appears to have been called the Hayes School for Jewish Boys, (fn. 30) but this was shut during the middle 1930s and in 1937 the buildings were occupied by St. Christopher's Approved School, which accommodated 100 boys under the auspices of the Middlesex County Council. (fn. 31)