A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Edward Chamber, whose father Geoffrey had been forced to surrender Great Stanmore in 1546, became a Roman Catholic priest. In 1597, as the only surviving son, the exiled Edward offered to sell his interest in the manor, but he may not have lived in Stanmore after his youth. (fn. 1) Recusants indicted in 1581 and 1582 included Thomas Norwood of Great Stanmore, gentleman, one of the Norwoods of Astwood (Bucks.) and Ashwell (Herts.), whose family also held property in Harrow. (fn. 2) Agnes Mills of Stanmore was among those indicted in 1598. (fn. 3) No further Roman Catholic activity was recorded until the 20th century. Worshippers used the new chapel of St. Thomas's convent, on the Little Stanmore side of Marsh Lane, in the 1930s and were served by the near-by church of St. William of York from 1960. (fn. 4)