Little Stanmore: Roman catholicism

Page 124

A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



Richard Gill, late of Little Stanmore, was indicted for recusancy in 1611 and two widows, Joan Brickhill and Alice Rumball, were repeatedly indicted between 1624 and 1635. (fn. 1) Thereafter no Roman Catholic activity is recorded until the building of the Dominican convent of St. Thomas Aquinas in the 1930s, on the east side of Marsh Lane. (fn. 2) After the parish of St. William of York had been founded in 1938, mass was said on weekdays in the chapel of the near-by convent and on Sundays in the hall of the adjoining St. Thomas's school. (fn. 3) The existing church, on the north side of Du Cros Drive, was opened in 1960 and registered for worship in 1961. (fn. 4) It is of pale brown brick, with a porch of three round-headed stone arches and a tower. There is seating for 500 and there is a small wooden hall at the rear. (fn. 5)


  • 1. Mdx. Cnty. Recs. ii. 72, 238; iii. 23, 32, 59, 136-7.
  • 2. Druett, Stanmores and Harrow Weald, 257.
  • 3. Ex inf. the Revd. L. F. Allan.
  • 4. Westminster Dioc. Yr. Bk. (1969); G.R.O. Worship Reg. No. 68151.
  • 5. Ex inf. the Revd. L. F. Allan.