A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
After the Second World War Jews worshipped in private houses, in the Bernays institute, and in huts which served as a community centre in Merrion Avenue. In 1970 the Bernays institute was still used on high holydays but the huts had been replaced by Terminal House. (fn. 1) Stanmore and Canons Park District synagogue, whose members belong to the United Synagogue, (fn. 2) was consecrated in 1951. (fn. 3) The building, in London Road, is of yellow-brown brick and has a flat roof. It adjoins the Stanmore Jewish community centre, built of similar materials and comprising a hall and classrooms, which was opened in 1963. The synagogue itself was reconsecrated, after internal alterations, in 1969. (fn. 4)