A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
JUDAISM. (fn. 1)
It was not until the 1930s, long after the opening of a Jewish school (fn. 2) and a Federation cemetery, (fn. 3) that Jews began moving into Old and New Southgate. Palmers Green and Southgate synagogue was registered for worship at no. 131 Palmerston Road in 1933. (fn. 4) It was affiliated to the United Synagogue and in 1936 became a District synagogue on the congregation's move to a new building in Brownlow Road, (fn. 5) which was severely damaged during the war and replaced in 1957. (fn. 6)
Southgate and District Progressive (formerly Liberal) synagogue originated in services held in members' houses in 1943. From 1944 until 1954 services were held in the community hall in Southgate. A house at no. 75 Chase Road was acquired in 1954 and used for worship until a new synagogue was erected in the grounds in 1959. (fn. 7)
Cockfosters and North Southgate District synagogue, a member of the United Synagogue, was founded as an offshoot of Palmers Green synagogue in 1948. A synagogue was built in Old Farm Avenue, Southgate, in 1953 and consecrated in 1954. A new community hall and classrooms were opened in 1965. (fn. 8) The synagogue served about 1,200 families in 1972, mainly from Cockfosters. (fn. 9)
A Jewish youth centre, Southgate Habonim, originated in 1962 as a branch of Stamford Hill Habonim. It met in a British Legion hall in Nursery Road, Southgate, and afterwards as a small group in private houses. Nos. 375 and 377 Bowes Road were purchased in 1966 and demolished in 1969, when a wooden meeting-place or moadon was erected on the site. (fn. 10)