A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7, Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1982.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
On the 2 hides which apparently constituted West Twyford in 1086, there was one ploughteam in demesne and land for ½ plough more. (fn. 1) The demesne was described as a ploughland c. 1274 (fn. 2) and as 100 a. of arable in 1290 and 1303. (fn. 3) In 1086 there were two villeins on a virgate, a bordar on 6 a., and three cottars. (fn. 4) There were six tenant estates c. 1200, mostly small and paying rents ranging from 7d. to 39d., (fn. 5) and open arable fields called Perifield and Cotstedel in the 13th century. (fn. 6) By 1290 there were three free and seven customary tenants. The latter owed mowing and haymaking services, described in 1302 as 32 autumn works. (fn. 7) Although the Brent was near, no meadow was recorded in 1086; only 3 a. were recorded in 1290, but the haymaking services suggest that the acreage was higher. (fn. 8) In 1304 the manor was described as having 180 a. of meadow and no arable; (fn. 9) its depopulation may have been complete before the inclosing activities of the manorial lords, probably in the 15th or early 16th century. (fn. 10)
Woodland, sufficient for 50 pigs in 1086, (fn. 11) was described in 1290 as 5 a. and in 1304 as 4 a. (fn. 12) In 1635 George Lyon offered timber from Twyford for sale, some of it to the navy, (fn. 13) and by the mid 18th century West Twyford was wholly pasture. (fn. 14)
Grass was grown for hay by 1833 (fn. 15) and was used for dairy cattle in the late 19th century. The Alexian brothers ran a home farm at Twyford Abbey until 1940, when they leased it to Guinness Brewery. The stock included 14 cows in 1940 and 25 in 1963, when the brewery changed to beef cattle, which remained in 1975. (fn. 16)