A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, Hampstead, Paddington. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
An otherwise unknown minister called Arnhall or Arnold was said to have been ejected at Paddington in 1662. (fn. 1) Rooms were registered for worship by Baptists in 1791 and 1794, the first of them being in Star and Garter Mews, (fn. 2) but probably were not used for long. Dissenters had no meeting house in 1810, when several who were resident worshipped outside the parish and some Methodists were reported. (fn. 3) Independents, who registered houses near St. George's burial ground in 1812 and 1815, (fn. 4) presumably could attend Marylebone's Paddington chapel from 1813. Bishop Blomfield and his predecessors were accused in 1853 of having obstructed Dissent by restrictive leasing: although some chapels stood on sites which had been leased without restrictions, many people still worshipped in Marylebone. (fn. 5) Later the most flourishing chapels served shopkeepers, clerks, and artisans who lived north or west of the Paddington Estate; (fn. 6) the Baptist leader John Clifford, who secured a site in Westbourne Park Place in 1872, recalled that the Ecclesiastical Commissioners had denied him land at Paddington green. (fn. 7)
From the opening of the canal boatmen's chapel in 1828, much nonconformity was closely linked with social welfare. John Clifford's work in the early 1860s gave rise to a claim that his Praed Street chapel was London's first 'institutional' church and later his activities were multiplied at Westbourne Park. (fn. 8) Nonconformity was considered relatively weak in the wealthy southern part of Paddington in 1899, although Clifford's Baptists rivalled the Anglicans in the middle-class parishes of St. Matthew's and St. Stephen's. Congregationalists, following Clifford's example, were most active in Queen's Park, where the Wesleyans' following was made up largely of immigrants from the country. (fn. 9) In 1902 Baptists formed the leading sect with 3,398 attendances, followed by Methodists with 2,223, Congregationalists with 1,991, and Presbyterians with 552. (fn. 10) Some chapels closed soon after the First World War and others after the Second, a few bomb-damaged ones being rebuilt. (fn. 11)
Baptists. Praed Street chapel began with mtgs. in ho. in Praed Street at expense of Mrs. Alice Ludford 1827. Moved to Church Street, Marylebone, 1831, where admitted to New Connexion 1832. (fn. 12) Seceders joined cong. from Edward Street c. 1840 and bought lease of tabernacle built c. 1818 by Inds. near E. end of Praed Street. (fn. 13) Attendance 1851: 264 and 150 Sun. sch. a.m.; 498 p.m. (fn. 14) John Clifford (1836- 1923), pastor from 1858, (fn. 15) increased seating 1872 but moved main ch. to Westbourne Pk. (fn. 16) below. Attendance 1886: 191 a.m.; 317 evg.; 1902: 101 a.m.; 129 p.m. Closed by 1910. (fn. 17)
Bapts. in Charles Street 1838 moved to Crawford Pl., Marylebone, 1845. (fn. 18) Bapt. chapel reg. at no. 5B Newcastle Pl., Edgware Rd., former dancing academy, 1838. (fn. 19) Perhaps used by Inds. 1851. (fn. 20)
Westbourne Grove Bapt. ch. moved from Silver Street, Kensington, to NE. corner of Westbourne Grove and Ledbury Rd. 1853; new site on Kensington side of boundary until 1900. (fn. 21) Bldg. of Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings in Early Eng. style; twin towers with spires. Enlarged by galleries 1859 and extended 1866 to seat 2,000. 'Largest chapel yet seen in London' and one of most influential 1872. (fn. 22) More traditional than Westbourne Pk. ch. 1899. (fn. 23) Attendance 1886: 417 a.m.; 545 evg.; 1902: 228 a.m.; 344 evg.
Beulah chapel, Paddington green, although said to have begun in Marylands Rd. 1853, (fn. 24) was presumably freehold chapel recorded at entrance to green 1853. (fn. 25) In Grove Street, Marylebone, 1857 and Marylebone Rd. 1859, but at no. 29 Harrow Rd. by 1862. (fn. 26) Attendance 1886: 65 a.m.; 97 evg.; 1902: 33 a.m.; 46 p.m. Moved to Cornwall Rd. (later part of Westbourne Pk. Rd.), Notting Hill, c. 1911. Strict Bapt. 1912. (fn. 27) Closed after 1951. (fn. 28)
St. Peter's Pk. ch., perhaps chapel in Marylands Rd. 1875, (fn. 29) reg. for Particular Bapts. S. corner of Shirland Rd. and Elgin Ave. 1876. (fn. 30) Attendance 1886: 100 a.m.; 96 evg.; 1902: 38 a.m.; 60 p.m. Small brick bldg. below rd. level 1911, (fn. 31) when recently closed. (fn. 32)
Westbourne Park chapel opened at S. corner of Porchester Rd. and Westbourne Pk. Villas 1877. Site acquired by John Clifford, who moved to no. 51 Porchester Rd. from Praed Street (q.v.). Bldg. of red brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style by J. Wallis Chapman, deacon; 15 rooms for numerous mtgs. (fn. 33) Attendance 1886: 1,023 a.m.; 1,456 evg. Total Sun. attendance 1902 much the largest at any place of worship in Paddington: 910 a.m.; 1,303 p.m. Church, seating 1,050 in 1928, (fn. 34) bombed 1944, when svces. moved to Clifford memorial hall, built 1928. New ch. of pale brick with Portland stone dressings in contemporary style, seating 300 and with rooms beneath, opened 1962. (fn. 35) Besides nearby institute (fn. 36) and girls' home, (fn. 37) Clifford opened mission in Bosworth Rd., Kensal New Town, and helped to found other suburban chs. (fn. 38) Mission in Hall Pk., Edgware Rd., survived 1928. (fn. 39) Attendance 1902: 42 p.m.
Queen's Pk. tabernacle, Herries Street, was reg. as evangelistic mission from 1887 until 1925. (fn. 40) Presumably on E. side between nos. 96 and 98, called Wycliffe Union tabernacle 1888-91 and 1910 and listed as Bapt. 1888-93. (fn. 41) Attendance 1902: 75 a.m.; 167 p.m.
Room in Poplar Pl., S. of Moscow Rd., reg. for dissenters 1823, (fn. 42) may have been preaching room opened for Primitive Meths. 1850. Attendance 1851: 12 a.m.; 18 aft.; 29 evg. (fn. 43) Probably closed by 1863. (fn. 44)
Bayswater Wes. chapel, with 150 free sittings and 158 others 1851, probably originated in Poplar Pl. bldg. reg. 1824. By 1843 chapel was next to orphanage in Royal Hill, Queen's Rd. (later Queensway), perhaps where bldg. was reg. 1861. (fn. 45) Attendance 1851: 163 and 98 Sun. sch. a.m.; 128 and 26 Sun. sch. p.m. (fn. 46) New bldg. in Queen's Rd., of white brick with stone facings in Dec. style, and seating c. 900 in semicircular interior with galleries, reg. for United Meth. Free Ch. 1868. (fn. 47) Attendance 1886: 113 a.m.; 125 evg.; 1902: 110 a.m.; 137 p.m. Bldg. bought for conversion to Ethical ch. (below) 1909. (fn. 48)
United Meth. Free ch. on N. side of Brindley Street, backing canal, recorded 1879 and 1886. (fn. 49)
Sutherland Ave. Wes. ch., at W. corner of Shirland Rd. and Sutherland Gdns. (later part of Sutherland Ave.), opened between 1872 and 1875. (fn. 50) Large red-brick bldg. over schs. 1876. (fn. 51) Sent mission teams to Queen's Pk., with svces. in Moberley sch. and Kilburn Lane. (fn. 52) Attendance 1886: 641 a.m.; 702 evg.; 1902: 245 a.m.; 295 p.m. Replaced by room on ground floor of ho. in Sutherland Ave. reg. 1948. Closed 1979. (fn. 53)
Harrow Rd. Primitive Meth. ch., at W. end of Blomfield Terr. at corner of Chichester Pl. and Harrow Rd., reg. 1878. Bldg., perhaps former Presb. ch. (q.v.), of contrasting bands of brick. (fn. 54) Attendance 1902: 137 a.m.; 91 p.m. Closed c. 1940. (fn. 55)
Kilburn Lane Primitive Meth. ch., at W. corner of Herries Street and Kilburn Lane, reg. 1884. Iron bldg. 1886, 1910. Attendance 1902: 197 a.m.; 219 p.m. Closed by 1937. (fn. 56)
Trinity Wes. ch., (fn. 57) at S. corner of Croxley and Fernhead rds., opened 1886. Bldg. of brick with stone dressings 1885; round-headed windows, pedimented entrance flanked by 3-stage towers with corner pinnacles. Attendance 1902: 329 a.m.; 463 p.m. Ch. bombed 1941, svces. moving to lecture hall of 1888 and then to reopened Sun. sch. hall 1944. Joined by former Percy Rd. (Bible Christian) Meth. ch. (fn. 58) 1947. New ch. of yellow brick in contemporary style, adjoining hall of 1949 and seating 200, opened 1959. (fn. 59)
Meth. International Ho., mother ho. of several homes, opened at no. 4 Inverness Terr. 1950. Chapel in room on ground floor reg. 1951 but svces. held in lounge from c. 1975. (fn. 60)
Providence chapel, Newcastle Pl., called Ind. 1851, may have been chapel reg. for Bapts. 1838 (q.v.). Part of bldg. of 1820, with 50 free sittings and 100 others. Attendance 1851: 30 a.m.; 50 p.m. (fn. 61) Closed by 1862. (fn. 62)
Craven Hill Cong. ch., E. side Craven Terr., formed 1846. (fn. 63) Bldg. in Dec. style, seating c. 700, reg. 1862. (fn. 64) Attendance 1886: 286 a.m.; 361 evg.; 1902: 112 a.m.; 105 p.m. Closed 1911, opening new chapel in Wrentham Ave., Brondesbury Pk., 1912. (fn. 65) Craven Hill chapel sold to Jehovah's Witnesses (below).
Queen's Pk. Cong. ch., at W. corner of Third Ave. and Harrow Rd., formed 1884. (fn. 66) Bldg. reg. 1887, later used as hall. Adjoining ch. of brick with stone dressings in Gothic style reg. 1890. (fn. 67) Largest and most active ch. in Queen's Pk. 1902. (fn. 68) Attendance 1902: 547 a.m.; 1,227 p.m. Utd. Ref. ch. from 1972. First bldg. demol. by 1982, when ch. seated 925. (fn. 69)
Catholic Apostolic Ch.
Bldg. of 1835 SE. of Paddington green, later said to be between nos. 62 and 63 or 65 and 67 Harrow Rd., used as Cath. Apostolic ch. from c. 1845. Attendance 1851, when 300 free sittings: 200 a.m.; 100 p.m.; (fn. 70) 1886: 260 a.m.; 200 evg. Replaced by large new ch. in Maida Hill West, reg. 1894. (fn. 71) Bldg. of red brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style by J. L. Pearson begun 1891: aisled and clerestoried nave, polygonal apse with ambulatory, apsidal SE. chapel with ambulatory, apsidal W. baptistery beneath W. gallery; 2 W. porches; stump of SW. tower. Pearson's only Eng. ch. built for non-Anglicans. (fn. 72) Attendance 1902: 245 a.m.; 244 p.m. One of 22 Cath. Apostolic chs. open 1962; sole survivor 1981. (fn. 73)
Harrow Rd. ch., Blomfield Terr., was reg. by Presb. Ch. of Eng. from 1861 until 1878. (fn. 74)
Westbourne Grove ch., N. end of Westbourne Grove Terr., was reg. by United Presb. Ch. 1863 and, as St. Paul's ch., by Presb. Ch. of Eng. 1877. (fn. 75) Bldg. in Gothic style by W. G. Habershon. (fn. 76) Attendance 1886: 189 a.m.; 300 evg.; 1902: 168 a.m.; 116 p.m. Built 4-storeyed ch. ho. in Newton Rd. c. 1903. (fn. 77) Reg. as Bayswater Presb. ch. (Trinity and St. Paul's) 1919, on union with Trinity ch., Kensington Pk. Rd., Kensington. Ch. closed 1970, when ch. ho. reg. with seating for 100. Called Bayswater Utd. Ref. ch. from 1972. (fn. 78)
Welsh Calvinistic Meths. reg. ch. at N. corner of Braden Street and Shirland Rd. 1874. (fn. 79) Called Presb. Ch. of Wales 1981 and earlier, (fn. 80) although sometimes listed as Meth. (fn. 81) Bldg. of brick, stuccoed front with pedimented centre. (fn. 82) Attendance 1886: 125 a.m.; 200 evg.; 1902: 70 a.m.; 198 p.m.
French Evangelical Reformed ch., Monmouth Rd., Westbourne Grove, formed 1861 and reg. 1866. Attendance 1886: 73 a.m.; 52 evg. Supported day sch. in Bedford Passage, St. Pancras, and home for governesses 1914. (fn. 83) Closed between 1949 and 1952. (fn. 84) Brick bldg., with stuccoed and pedimented front, acquired by Jehovah's Witnesses (below).
No. 5 Newcastle Pl. (formerly Bapt. q.v.) reg. 1884 to 1886. (fn. 85)
No. 93 Lancefield Street, Kensal Town, reg. 1901 to 1926. Attendance 1902: 33 a.m.; 74 p.m. Perhaps replaced by Ranelagh hall, part of nos. 34-8 Cirencester Street, reg. 1932 and replaced by no. 228 Harrow Rd., reg. 1962 to 1965. (fn. 88)
Plymouth Brethren used Moscow hall at no. 23 Moscow Rd. 1872, 1888. (fn. 89) Presumably different group used New Providence hall. Attendance 1902: 43 a.m.; 49 p.m.
Hope hall, Kilburn Lane, reg. by Open Brethren 1903, was presumably Hope hall, Kilburn Pl., reg. 1967. (fn. 90) Attendance 1902: 46 a.m.; 110 p.m.
No. 593 Harrow Rd., Queen's Pk., was reg. for Brotherhood Ch. 1898. Assembly rooms at no. 742 Harrow Rd. were reg. for Plymouth Brethren 1912, replaced by Hermon hall at no. 598 in 1914, and by Prospect hall at no. 593 in 1926. (fn. 91)
Other Denominations And Unspecified Missions.
Boatmen's chapel, (fn. 92) Junction Mews, Sale Street (later Pl.), opened by Paddington Soc. for Promoting Christian Knowledge among Canal Boatmen and Others 1828. Interdenominational but said to be connected with Inds.' Paddington chapel, Marylebone, 1853 and sometimes listed as Wes. Meth. (fn. 93) Bldg. a converted coach ho. leased and in 1832 bought from Grand Junction Canal Co. Attendance 1851, when 240 free sittings: 33 afternoon; 30 and 5 Sun. sch. evg. Later, as Boatmen's institution, administered by Lond. City Mission. (fn. 94) Attendance 1902: 52 p.m. Closed by 1921. (fn. 95)
Unspecified Protestants reg. rooms at no. 4 North Wharf Rd. 1829. (fn. 96)
Latter-day Saints reg. bldg. in Queen's Rd. from 1853 to 1866 and Gt. Western hall, Market Street, from 1857 to 1866. (fn. 97)
Cabmen's mission hall was at no. 7 Burwood Mews 1878. (fn. 98)
Coachmen's mission was at no. 18 Conduit Pl., London Street, 1878, 1886. (fn. 99)
Railway Mission had hall at no. 88 Kensal Rd. by 1888 and reg. no. 92 Kensal Rd. 1906. (fn. 100) Attendance 1902: 45 p.m.
London City Mission at no. 2 Cuthbert Street, Edgware Rd., 1882, 1902 (fn. 101) and Amberley Rd. 1903. Attendance 1902: 70 p.m.
Established Paddington Wharves mission reg. by Lond. City Mission at Church Pl. (later Unwin Pl.) (fn. 102) 1930, moved to nearby no. 95 Harrow Rd. by 1941, (fn. 103) and back to Unwin Pl. by 1951, closing between 1959 and 1964. (fn. 104) Attendance 1902: 43 p.m.
West Lond. Ethical Soc., formed 1892 and called Ethical Ch. from 1914, reg. former Meth. ch. in Queen's Rd. 1909. Eclectic beliefs, bldg. being fitted with stained glass windows of Joan of Arc, Elizabeth Fry, and Bernard Shaw. (fn. 105) Ethical Ch. reg. basement of min.'s ho. no. 4A Inverness Pl. from 1946 to 1954, Queensway bldg. being reg. by undesignated Christians 1946 and later as Rom. Cath. ch. of Our Lady of Heaven (q.v.). (fn. 106)
Jehovah's Witnesses (fn. 107) used nos. 34 and 36 Craven Terr. as headquarters in Britain from 1911 until move to Mill Hill 1958. (fn. 108) No. 34 accommodated staff and no. 36, previously Craven Hill Cong. chapel, served as Lond. tabernacle, later Kingdom hall. Former French Prot. ch. in Monmouth Rd. used as Kingdom hall from 1977. (fn. 109)
Paddington hall, Church Street, reg. for unsectarian worship 1904 to 1954. Attendance 1902: 68 p.m. (fn. 110)
Evangelical Protestants reg. Ranelagh hall, Cirencester Street (probably Ranelagh Rd. hall 1878, 1886) 1904 to 1932. Attendance 1902: 180 p.m. (fn. 111)
Church Mystical Union was at no. 35 Norfolk Sq. 1930. (fn. 112)
Paddington Sanctuary Spiritualist ch. was at no. 252 Harrow Rd. 1939. (fn. 113)
Unity Sch. of Christianity reg. ground floor of no. 6 Stanhope Terr. as Unity Ho. 1943 to 1954. (fn. 114)
Assemblies of God reg. ground floor of no. 141 Harrow Rd., having moved from no. 184A Edgware Rd., Marylebone, 1946; (fn. 115) called Assembly of God revival centre 1975 (fn. 116) and Pentecostal ch. 1986. (fn. 117)
Christians reg. Ilbert Street hall, Queen's Pk., 1951. (fn. 118)