A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
17. THE CELL OF SLEVESHOLM
The small priory of Slevesholm, dedicated to the honour of the Blessed Virgin and St. Giles, in the parish of Methwold, was founded by William de Warenne, third earl of Surrey, in the reign of Stephen. The founder gave to Paul and his brother monks the island of Slevesholm in the fen of Methwold, providing that after Paul's death a prior should be elected from the monks of Castle Acre, who was to be presented to and admitted by the Earl of Warenne and his heirs. In 1309, John, earl of Warenne, confirmed the gifts of his ancestor. (fn. 1)
In 1291 the annual value of this small cell was merely £1 10s. 7½d.; in the Valor of 1535 it was included with Castle Acre.
A visitation of the English Cluniac foundations, undertaken in 1390, mentions Slevesholm or Slevsham as a cell of Castle Acre, consisting of a prior and one monk. There was a daily celebration.
Blomefield mentions four priors of this cell— Paul; Thomas; Thomas II, 1415; and Stephen, 1419. (fn. 2)