A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
68. THE HOSPITAL OF BOYCODESWADE, COXFORD (fn. 1)
The hospital of Boycodeswade, in the parish of East Rudham, was founded by Harvey Beleth about the year 1181, for the support of twelve poor persons, with a secular canon or chaplain to act as master or warden, and to serve therein for his own soul and those of his ancestors. This hospital, dedicated to the house of St. Andrew, was placed under the control of the prior and convent of Coxford, and was endowed with lands in East Rudham, Marham, &c. It subsequently became a general charge on Coxford Priory, its endowments being merged in those of the convent.
The Valor of 1535 enters particulars of this house under the priory of Coxford. Its annual value was then £20; of which sum £5 6s. 8d. was paid to the chaplain for celebrating ' in domo elimosinar apud Boytildeswade pro anima Hervei Beleth fundat ejusd' dom,' and £12 3s. 4d. for the support of twelve poor persons.