A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
95. THE HOSPITAL OF RACHENESS
At Racheness in the parish of South Acre, there was a leper hospital, with church or chapel dedicated to St. Bartholomew, of early foundation. It was subordinate to the priory of Castle Acre. By an undated deed, temp. Henry II, Herbert de South Acre gave the land on which stood the church of St. Bartholomew, with three roods about it, and two acres at Burston, to Castle Acre Priory, for the use of the lepers there remaining, together with half the foldcourse and common of pasture, where his stock and that of his brother Alan fed. (fn. 1)