A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
103. LAZAR-HOUSE OF WALSINGHAM
There was a lazar-house or a spittle of old foundation at Walsingham. Blomefield found mention of it in 1486; and in 1491, Robert Pigut, by will, gave messuages called the Spittlehouses, with lands, freemen, and villeins pertaining, in Walsingham and Houghton to Robert Godfrey and others, on condition that they settled them on John Ederich, a leper of Norwich, and Cecil his wife, for their lives; and afterwards to admit two leprous men or one, of good family, from time to time. (fn. 1)