A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
105. THE HOSPITAL OF WYMONDHAM
Half a mile to the east of Wymondham stood Westwade chapel, originally built on a bridge. Here was a cell of Burton Lazars in Leicestershire, to which great lazar-house William de Albini, some time before 1146, gave sixscore acres of land in Wymondham parish. Thereupon the hospital of Burton Lazars built a small hospital or leper house on this site, in which was a master and two or three brethren. They sought alms of travellers who used this bridge. (fn. 1)