A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
104. THE HOSPITAL OF WALSOKEN
There was a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity in the parish of Walsoken, at a place called Stathe-Dytch, to which was attached a gild or fraternity of some fame, ruled by a master or warden. It seems to have been usually termed the Hospital of the Holy Trinity. Pope Urban (1378-90) and four of his successors granted particular indulgences to the brethren and sisters of this house and their benefactors as appears from a deed of admission of two persons into this fraternity, dated 6 October, 1481. At that time Eborard was master; he is termed ' custos capelle et hospitalis Sce. Trinitatis de Walsoken.' Blomefield also mentions a like deed of admission granted in 1476, to John Bernus, esquire, and states that the bishop of Ely granted in 1487 forty days' indulgence to all who contributed to the support of this hospital. (fn. 1)
The hospital was served by chaplains as well as by a master. In December, 1390, Thomas Fayrandgod and Richard Holn, perpetual chaplains of Holy Trinity chapel, Walsoken, received permission for themselves and their successors, from Pope Boniface IV, to celebrate mass in the chapel even in the time of interdict. This indult is of value, as it is therein stated that the hospital was founded by King Richard I. (fn. 2)
The Valor of 1535 estimates the annual value of this hospital at £5 6s. 3d. (fn. 3)
This house and gild were dissolved at the end of Henry VIII's reign. The surrender, signed by Ralph Stanmow, master, and ten others, is dated 17 July, 1545. Annexed to it is the king's commission empowering John Ayre to receive the gild on the part of the crown. (fn. 4)
Masters of Walsoken Hospital (fn. 5)
Thomas Jackson, died 1475
Ralph Stanmow, the last master
There is a cast at the British Museum of a small circular fifteenth-century seal of this hospital, having an embattled tower of two stories, with an indistinct figure on the right, between the letters T and L. (fn. 6)