A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
27. THE HOSPITAL OF COTES
When Henry III. was at Geddington on 7 December, 1229, he issued letters of protection to the lepers of Cotes by Rockingham, authorizing them to ask alms for their house. (fn. 1)
The only other reference to this house that has been noticed occurs in the record of forest proceedings (see Thrapston Hospital) of the year 1301. A slain doe having been found in a snare near Benefield Laund, an inquest was held, and in accordance with forest law the flesh was sent to the lepers of St. Leonard's, Cotes, which was the nearest hospital. (fn. 2) From other forest documents it appears that Cotes was in Cottingham parish.