A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
32. THE HOSPITAL OF WALBEK, NORTHAMPTON
In addition to the important foundation of St. Leonard's by the south gate of Northampton for the service of lepers, there was another lazar house by the north gate. This hospital is not mentioned by Dugdale or Tanner, and has hitherto escaped the attention of the local historians of the county or borough.
Only two references to it have been noticed, both of them of the fourteenth century and in diocesan registers. In 1301 Bishop Dalderby granted an indulgence in favour of the infirmary of the hospital of Walbek without Northampton; (fn. 1) and in 1322 Bishop Burghersh granted an indulgence for those assisting the poor lepers of Walbek without the north gate of Northampton. (fn. 2)
The name Walbek occurs in one of the corporation deeds of the year 1360, wherein Sir Paynel Gobion granted a life lease of 16 acres of land, lying without the north gate, on each side of the king's highway, from St. Bartholomew's church to Walbek. (fn. 3)