A History of the County of Nottingham: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
33. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY AT WEST BAR, NOTTINGHAM
Protection was granted for two years by Edward III in 1330 to the leprous men of the hospital of St. Mary atte Westebarre, Nottingham, when collecting alms for the support of their house. (fn. 1) This protection was renewed for another two years in July 1334. (fn. 2)
Nothing more is known of this lazar-house; it is not once mentioned in the borough records. Most of England's walled towns had small lazar-houses at their gates—sometimes, as at Norwich, (fn. 3) at each gate—which were unendowed and chiefly supported by the casual alms of travellers or of charitable townsfolk.