A History of the County of Nottingham: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
23. THE COLLEGE OF TUXFORD
John de Lungvillers in 1362 obtained the royal licence to found in the rectory house and church of Tuxford, of his patronage, a college of five chaplains, one of whom was to be termed the warden. They were to hold the advowson of the church, to pray for the founder's good estate during his life, and for his soul after death, and for the soul of Thomas his father and for all the faithful departed. For some reason or another this scheme was not carried into effect, and six years later John de Lungvillers gave the advowson and appropriation of Tuxford to the priory of Newstead, ordaining that they were to maintain three chaplains to celebrate daily for a like purpose at Tuxford and two more at Newstead. (fn. 1)
The clear annual value of this small college or chantry was declared to be in 1534 £9 2s. 1d. The three chantry priests of that date were John Asheford, John Danson, and John Segreaves. (fn. 2)
When the commissioners of Henry VIII, preparatory to confiscation, visited Nottinghamshire in 1545, they declared the annual value to be £9 2s. 2d., but found that the number of priests had been reduced to two; and that they had already surrendered the property to the king, each receiving a life pension of 60s. (fn. 3)