Shifford: Education

Page 110

A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 13, Bampton Hundred (Part One). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1996.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



A Sunday school supported by voluntary contributions, established in 1832 and with usually 11 or 12 pupils, continued in 1854 but had evidently lapsed by the 1860s. (fn. 1) By then children attended Aston National school. (fn. 2)


  • 1. Educ. Enq. Abstract, H.C. 62, p. 739 (1835), xlii; Ch. and Chapel, 1851, no. 381; Wilb. Visit. 11; O.R.O., MSS. Oxf. Dioc. c 332, p. 58; c 335, ff. 27v.-28.
  • 2. Above, Aston and Cote, educ.