A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 13, Bampton Hundred (Part One). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1996.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR. (fn. 1)
Thomas Weale, by will proved 1658, left land in Standlake, a quarter of the rent to benefit the Northmoor poor; (fn. 2) in 1738 Northmoor's share was £1. Sir Edmund Warcupp left £20 by will proved 1712, and Thomas Martin £5 by will proved 1714, together used c. 1719 to buy c. 1 a., (fn. 3) which in 1738 yielded 25s. Francis White of Fyfield (then Berks.), by will proved 1737, left £100 to the Northmoor poor, used c. 1743 with a bequest to Fyfield to buy land then worth £12 a year, of which one third went to Northmoor. (fn. 4) St. John's College, Oxford, paid 40s. a year to the poor by the earlier 17th century, perhaps the 40s. awarded to the bishops of Oxford and Salisbury at its appropriation of the rectory, (fn. 5) and from 1673 lords of the manor paid 30s. a year in lieu of extinguished common rights. (fn. 6) A Scheme of 1897, confirming all those charities as eleemosynary, was revised in 1917, when the lord's 30s. was no longer mentioned. Total income from eleemosynary charities in 1979 was £40. (fn. 7)