Lower Haddon: Local government

Page 89

A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 13, Bampton Hundred (Part One). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1996.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



In 1279 the lord of Little Haddon and presumably his tenants owed suit to Bampton Earls manor. (fn. 1) A separate court baron may have been instituted in the early 14th century when Haddon manor was regranted in fee, (fn. 2) but in 1500 the tithingman attended the Bampton view of frankpledge, at which his successors were still appointed in the later 17th century. (fn. 3) For poor-law and other civil purposes Haddon was administered with Bampton and Weald through Bampton vestry, treated above. (fn. 4)


  • 1. Bampton Hund. R. 26.
  • 2. Cal. Pat. 1330-4, 88.
  • 3. Arundel Castle, MS. M 535; Longleat House (Wilts.), NMR 3315, ct. 4 Oct. 1668.
  • 4. Above, Bampton and Weald, local govt. (par. govt.).