A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 13, Bampton Hundred (Part One). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1996.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Lew's share of George Thompson's and Leonard Wilmot's charities (fn. 1) was represented in the late 18th century and early 19th by 'dole money' of £1 os. 8d., paid irregularly from Bampton churchwardens' account and distributed in bread. In 1819 seven years' arrears were distributed in cheap coal, and in 1824 the Charity Commissioners ruled that regular payment should be made from Bampton's charity account. (fn. 2) Robert Jeeves, by will proved 1703, left £5 to benefit poor labourers of Lew, (fn. 3) and Thomas Horde, by will proved 1716, left £10 for apprenticing two boys or girls, (fn. 4) but though the Horde bequest was applied in the earlier 18th century (fn. 5) both charities were lost by the early 19th.
Under a Scheme of 1888 Lew's charities became part of Bampton Consolidated Charities, which in 1969 distributed c. £6 in Lew. In 1972 they became part of the Bampton Welfare Trust. (fn. 6)