A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
33. THE HOSPITAL OF BICESTER
In 1355 Nicholas Jurdan, a hermit, obtained the king's licence to found again (de novo fundare) a hospital in connexion with a certain chapel of St. John the Baptist, of which he was warden, and to endow it with land and rent of the value of 100s. a year. (fn. 1) Evidently this was not the beginning of the hospital: it was already in existence; Jurdan was its warden, and the chapel of St. John was its chapel; but now it was to be endowed, and in this sense to be 'founded again.' That this purpose was accomplished there is no evidence, and we do not hear any more of an endowed hospital at Bicester.