A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
40. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. CLEMENT, OXFORD
In 1345 the prior of the Hospital of St. Clement by Oxford, 'who has not whereof to live,' was granted protection for two years to seek alms throughout the realm. (fn. 1)
41. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. GILES, OXFORD
Licence to collect alms was given to the master and brethren of the Hospital of St. Giles of Rotherweye, in Oxford, in 1330, 1336, and 1346. (fn. 2) A bequest was made in 1390 to 'the poor in the spitel by St. Giles church,' and Wood suggests that it was also called Bethlehem Hospital. (fn. 3)