A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
3. CANTERBURY COLLEGE, OXFORD
As early as 1331 a hall near the church of St. Peter-in-the-East was bought by the priory of Christ Church, Canterbury, and four monks were sent to study at Oxford. (fn. 1) But in 1362 Simon Islip, archbishop of Canterbury, founded in the parish of St. Edward a college for twelve students, of whom four were to be monks and the rest secular clerks, and endowed it with the church of Pagham, Sussex; it also had at first rents from eight houses in Oxford, and something from the manors of Woodford, Northants, (fn. 2) and Worminghall, Bucks. (fn. 3) The first warden, a monk, was appointed in 1362, (fn. 4) but the charter of endowment is dated 1363, (fn. 5) and the licence to acquire land for building was not given until 1364. (fn. 6) In 1365 the founder, at a time when it was said he was in weak health, ousted the monks and appointed a secular, John Wiclif, to be warden; (fn. 7) but the next primate reinstated the monks, and after a struggle all the seculars were expelled by decision of the pope in 1370. (fn. 8) More land was bought in 1373, 1380, and 1392, (fn. 9) and in 1383 the number of monks was increased by five, who were to receive their maintenance from Canterbury, at the rate of 10d. a week. (fn. 10) Monks from other Benedictine houses were allowed to rent rooms, and we hear of inmates from Rochester, Coventry, Battle Abbey, Peterborough, and Evesham (or Eynsham). (fn. 11) To some extent they were all subject to the 'prior studentium,' the head of Gloucester College, and in 1426 he made complaint that the monks of Canterbury College did not observe in eating meat the same rules as the other Benedictine monks. (fn. 12) The endowments, which originally were about £86 a year, gradually disappeared. (fn. 13)
The heads of the college, generally called wardens, but occasionally priors, (fn. 14) were chosen from the monks of Canterbury by the prior of Christ Church, and admitted by the archbishop. (fn. 15) Shortly after the dissolution of the monasteries, the buildings, including a hall and chapel, were acquired by Christ Church. (fn. 16)
Priors of Canterbury College (fn. 17)
Richard de Hatfield, occurs 1367 (fn. 18)
John Langdon, occurs 1411 (fn. 19)
Thomas Goldston, occurs 1473 (fn. 20)
William Chichele, appointed 1473 (fn. 21)
Edward Bocking, occurs 1512 and 1518 (fn. 22)