BHO

Table of population, 1801-1901

Pages 213-224

A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Table of contents

Appendix No. IV

Table Of Population, 1801 to 1901

Introductory Notes

Area

The county taken in this table is that existing subsequently to 7 & 8 Vict., chap. 61 (1844). By this Act detached parts of counties, which had already for parliamentary purposes been amalgamated with the county by which they were surrounded or with which the detached part had the longest common boundary (2 & 3 Wm. IV, chap. 64–1832), were annexed to the same county for all purposes; some exceptions were, however, permitted.

By the same Act (7 & 8 Vict., chap. 61) the detached parts of counties, transferred to other counties, were also annexed to the hundred, ward, wapentake, &c. by which they were wholly or mostly surrounded, or to which they next adjoin, in the counties to which they were transferred. The hundreds, &c. in this table are also given as existing subsequently to this Act.

As is well known, the famous statute of Queen Elizabeth for the relief of the poor took the thenexisting ecclesiastical parish as the unit for Poor Law relief. This continued for some centuries with but few modifications; notably by an Act passed in the thirteenth year of Charles II's reign which permitted townships and villages to maintain their own poor. This permission was necessary owing to the large size of some of the parishes, especially in the north of England.

In 1801 the parish for rating purposes (now known as the civil parish, i.e. 'an area for which a separate poor rate is or can be made, or for which a separate overseer is or can be appointed') was in most cases co-extensive with the ecclesiastical parish of the same name; but already there were numerous townships and villages rated separately for the relief of the poor, and also there were many places scattered up and down the country, known as extra-parochial places, which paid no rates at all. Further, many parishes had detached parts entirely surrounded by another parish or parishes.

Parliament first turned its attention to extra-parochial places, and by an Act (20 Vict., chap. 19— 1857) it was laid down (a) that all extra-parochial places entered separately in the 1851 census returns are to be deemed civil parishes, (b) that in any other place being, or being reputed to be, extra-parochial overseers of the poor may be appointed, and (c) that where, however, owners and occupiers of twothirds in value of the land of any such place desire its annexation to an adjoining civil parish, it may be so added with the consent of the said parish. This Act was not found entirely to fulfil its object, so by a further Act (31 & 32 Vict., chap. 122–1868) it was enacted that every such place remaining on 25 December, 1868, should be added to the parish with which it had the longest common boundary.

The next thing to be dealt with was the question of detached parts of civil parishes, which was done by the Divided Parishes Acts of 1876, 1879, and 1882. The last, which amended the one of 1876, provides that every detached part of an entirely extra-metropolitan parish which is entirely surrounded by another parish becomes transferred to this latter for civil purposes, or if the population exceeds 300 persons it may be made a separate parish. These Acts also gave power to add detached parts surrounded by more than one parish to one or more of the surrounding parishes, and also to amalgamate entire parishes with one or more parishes. Under the 1879 Act it was not necessary for the area dealt with to be entirely detached. These Acts also declared that every part added to a parish in another county becomes part of that county.

Then came the Local Government Act, 1888, which permits the alteration of civil parish boundaries and the amalgamation of civil parishes by Local Government Board orders. It also created the administrative counties. The Local Government Act of 1894 enacts that where a civil parish is partly in a rural district and partly in an urban district each part shall become a separate civil parish; and also that where a civil parish is situated in more than one urban district each part shall become a separate civil parish, unless the county council otherwise direct. Meanwhile, the ecclesiastical parishes had been altered and new ones created under entirely different Acts, which cannot be entered into here, as the table treats of the ancient parishes in their civil aspect.

Population

The first census of England was taken in 1801, and was very little more than a counting of the population in each parish (or place), excluding all persons, such as soldiers, sailors, &c., who formed no part of its ordinary population. It was the de facto population (i.e. the population actually resident at a particular time) and not the de jure (i.e. the population really belonging to any particular place at a particular time). This principle has been sustained throughout the censuses.

The Army at home (including militia), the men of the Royal Navy ashore, and the registered seamen ashore were not included in the population of the places where they happened to be, at the time of the census, until 1841. The men of the Royal Navy and other persons on board vessels (naval or mercantile) in home ports were first included in the population of those places in 1851. Others temporarily present, such as gipsies, persons in barges, &c. were included in 1841 and perhaps earlier.

General

Up to and including 1831 the returns were mainly made by the overseers of the poor, and more than one day was allowed for the enumeration, but the 1841–1901 returns were made under the superintendence of the registration officers and the enumeration was to be completed in one day. The Householder's Schedule was first used in 1841. The exact dates of the censuses are as follows:—
10 March, 1801
27 May, 1811
28 May, 1821
30 May, 1831
7 June, 1841
31 March, 1851
8 April, 1861
3 April, 1871
4 April, 1881
6 April, 1891
1 April, 1901

Notes Explanatory of the Table

This table gives the population of the ancient county and arranges the parishes, &c. under the hundred or other sub-division to which they belong, but there is no doubt that the constitution of hundreds, &c. was in some cases doubtful.

In the main the table follows the arrangement in the 1841 census volume.

The table gives the population and area of each parish, &c. as it existed in 1801, as far as possible.

The areas are those supplied by the Ordnance Survey Department, except in the case of those marked 'e,' which are only estimates. The area includes inland water (if any), but not tidal water or foreshore.

† after the name of a civil parish indicates that the parish was affected by the operation of the Divided Parishes Acts, but the Registrar-General failed to obtain particulars of every such change. The changes which escaped notification were, however, probably small in area and with little, if any, population. Considerable difficulty was experienced both in 1891 and 1901 in tracing the results of changes effected in civil parishes under the provisions of these Acts; by the Registrar-General's courtesy, however, reference has been permitted to certain records of formerly detached parts of parishes, which has made it possible approximately to ascertain the population in 1901 of parishes as constituted prior to such alterations, though the figures in many instances must be regarded as partly estimates.

* after the name of a parish (or place) indicates that such parish (or place) contains a union workhouse which was in use in (or before) 1851 and was still in use in 1901.

‡ after the name of a parish (or place) indicates that the ecclesiastical parish of the same name at the 1901 census is coextensive with such parish (or place).

[o] in the table indicates that there is no population on the area in question.

— in the table indicates that no population can be ascertained.

The word 'chapelry' seems often to have been used as an equivalent for 'township' in 1841, which census volume has been adopted as the standard for names and descriptions of areas.

The figures in italics in the table relate to the area and population of such sub-divisions of ancient parishes as chapelries, townships, and hamlets.

In the following instances it is possible to show the population back to 1801 for the towns as constituted at the census of 1901:—

(a) Bicester Urban District consists of Bicester King's End and Bicester Market End Townships (both in Ploughley Hundred).

(b) Chipping Norton Municipal Borough consists of Chipping Norton Township (Chadlington Hundred).

(c) Thame Urban District consists of Thame Parish (Thame Hundred).

(d) Wheatley Urban District consists of Wheatley Chapelry (Bullingdon Hundred).

Table Of Population

1801–1901

Acreage 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901
Ancient or Geographical County (fn. 1) 483,626 111,977 118,953 138,224 153,526 163,127 170,434 170,973 177,960 179,593 185,274 181,149
Parish Acreage 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901
Bampton Hundred
Alvescot † ‡ 2,119 339 339 357 361 357 375 407 349 362 390 306
Asthall † 2,223 304 291 365 352 389 383 424 381 374 342 355
Bampton:— 11,238 2,010 2,269 2,570 2,751 2,734 2,780 2,863 2,759 2,407 2,313 2,029
Bampton Township (fn. 2) 4,491 1,003 1,232 1,460 1,605 778 851 865 764 1,395 1,346 1,167
Lew Hamlet ‡ 1,642 222 243 266 237 195 193 182 183 129 119 92
Brighthampton Hamlet † 665 93 92 97 102 120 101 89 75 74 61 63
Cote and Aston Hamlets 2,997 629 621 659 718 727 734 811 908 711 730 647
Chimney Hamlet 668 25 32 46 42 36 24 27 29 28 26 20
Shifford Chap. 775 38 49 42 47 52 44 41 49 70 31 40
Weald Hamlet (fn. 2) 826 833 848 751
Black Bourton † ‡ 2,379 273 269 336 352 331 278 260 266 212 226 197
Broadwell:— 5,659 866 870 938 933 1,051 1,107 1,103 1,093 1,066 938 865
Filkins Hamlet † 1,834 454 442 508 473 556 606 641 629 590 473 393
Broadwell † 1,725 210 234 226 224 201 221 211 238 255 214 202
Holwell Chap 1,063 70 68 86 96 115 131 110 110 120 106 106
Kelmscot ditto 1,037 132 126 118 140 179 149 141 116 101 145 164
Broughton Poggs 909 103 108 114 158 151 122 109 117 121 88 91
Burford:— 2,939 1,725 1,584 1,686 1,866 1,862 1,819 1,649 1,648 1,560 1,605 1,323
Burford Township † 750 1,516 1,342 1,409 1,620 1,644 1,593 1,435 1,403 1,312 1,346 1,146
Upton and Signett Hamlet † 2,189 209 242 277 246 218 226 214 245 248 259 177
Clanfield † ‡ 1,713 455 458 490 529 584 591 547 602 499 429 445
Ducklington:— 2,612 442 424 497 509 541 571 606 629 550 540 547
Ducklington † 1,941 321 299 373 406 430 443 472 480 435 439 413
Hardwick Hamlet † 671 121 125 124 103 111 128 134 149 115 101 134
Kencott † ‡ 1,099 191 177 174 199 196 206 214 244 202 147 151
Langford:— 4,351 584 647 638 673 707 751 701 685 599 579 522
Langford 2,117 356 405 387 391 427 453 449 410 384 339 297
Faringdon, Little Tything ‡ 1,168 131 148 140 156 153 185 136 159 125 132 126
Grafton Township 625 66 69 81 71 73 77 80 77 64 75 70
Radcot Hamlet 441 31 25 30 55 54 36 36 39 26 33 29
Norton, Brize † ‡ 3,277 453 475 528 627 687 720 716 695 639 610 537
Shilton (fn. 3) 1,604 253 248 256 290 305 319 298 287 287 237 234
Standlake † 2,346 570 577 643 669 707 810 822 775 708 619 524
Stonelands, Extra Par. (fn. 4) 8 19 8
Westwell ‡ 1,445 139 149 160 162 180 186 169 164 136 90 81
Widford 552 40 39 51 51 45 43 33 47 49 52 30
Witney:— 7,182 4,087 4,185 4,518 5,099 5,707 5,437 5,180 5,183 5,046 5,376 5,072
Witney Township † 192 2,584 2,722 2,827 3,190 3,419 3,099 2,989 2,976 3,017 3,110 2,879
Crawley Hamlet 1,128 157 169 221 275 252 245 253 248 160 198 206
Curbridge do.* † 2,983 353 352 372 398 596 767 622 654 604 703 637
Hailey Chap. 2,879 993 942 1,098 1,236 1,440 1,326 1,316 1,305 1,265 1,365 1,350
Yelford † ‡ 336 16 16 16 17 16 17 14 8 8 13 15
Banbury Hundred
Banbury:— 3,407 3,810 4,173 5,247 5,906 6,753 8,206 9,140 9,863 9,660 9,792 10,012
Banbury 80 2,755 2,841 3,396 3,737 3,746 4,026 4,059 4,122 3,600 3,639 3,394
Neithrop Township* 3,327 1,055 1,332 1,851 2,169 3,007 4,180 5,081 5,741 6,060 6,153 6,618
Charlbury (part of) (fn. 4) (fn. 6) 4,675 1,403 1,637 1,992 2,036 2,032 2,154 2,056 1,991 1,918 2,154 1,939
Fawler Hamlet 1,655 112 161 147 134 123 145 143 130 109 172 136
Finstock do 883 326 402 497 519 534 532 533 526 490 504 451
Charlbury (fn. 5) 2,137 965 1,074 1,348 1,433 1,375 1,477 1,380 1,335 1,319 1,478 1,352
Clattercote, Extra Par. 338 7 9 8 9 15 9 8 4 9 9 4
Cornbury Park, Extra Par. (fn. 6) 632 50 48 39 43 44 44 19
Cropredy (part of) (fn. 7):— 7,378 1,883 1,876 2,066 2,226 2,342 2,361 2,106 2,154 1,936 1,758 1,654
Bourton (Great and Little) Township ‡ 1,681 433 405 441 563 593 573 560 551 498 449 426
Claydon Chap. 1,199 235 240 252 291 337 330 317 332 300 239 223
Cropredy † 1,926 470 474 548 548 547 596 497 520 515 476 436
Wardington Chap. † ‡ 2,572 745 757 825 824 865 862 732 751 623 594 569
Prescote (Lordship) Extra Par. (fn. 8) 554 22 19 19 15 19 9 19 15 31 25 17
Swalcliffe (part of) (fn. 9):— 4,180 855 935 1,088 1,207 1,103 1,113 1,123 1,038 951 864 755
Swalcliffe 1,679 264 290 356 378 338 367 379 356 358 287 255
Epwell Chap. 1,140 284 302 355 367 316 330 358 304 259 217 217
Shutford, East, Chap. 409 31 343 33 31 31 24 26 27 21 21 12
Shutford, West Township 952 276 344 431 418 392 360 351 313 339 271
Binfield Hundred
Bix 3,078 303 379 383 409 427 367 392 426 427 387 360
Caversham 4,879 1,069 1,127 1,317 1,369 1,642 1,752 1,783 2,406 3,583 5,441 7,135
Harpsden (fn. 10) 2,021 173 195 223 238 211 215 261 260 226 244 256
Henley-upon-Thames* 1,758 2,948 3,117 3,509 3,618 3,622 3,733 3,676 3,736 3,692 3,415 3,521
Rotherfield Greys 2,927 677 668 717 1,145 1,535 1,518 1,629 1,889 1,909 2,747 3,337
Rotherfield Peppard 2,194 317 325 401 426 439 406 437 483 484 453 410
Shiplake 2,740 476 485 528 515 565 569 621 586 615 756 870
Sonning (part of):— (fn. 11)
Eye and Dunsden Liberty 3,152 705 756 845 887 868 829 799 804 863 942 943
Bloxham Hundred
Adderbury:— 6,045 1,923 1,775 2,277 2,473 2,525 2,310 2,146 2,192 2,120 2,130 2,025
Adderbury, East Township 2,058 818 710 924 961 1,060 978 895 902 909 846 796
Adderbury, West Township 1,160 326 345 402 397 442 370 346 378 313 331 336
Barford St. John Chap. 726 100 120 123 131 126 125 107 88 80 102 55
Bodicote Chap. † ‡ 1,291 574 467 638 779 729 673 626 677 687 715 689
Milton Hamlet 810 105 133 190 205 168 164 172 147 131 136 149
Alkerton 742 135 174 158 192 190 190 194 201 159 119 105
Bloxham:— ‡ 4,396 1,358 1,357 1,520 1,573 1,543 1,577 1,607 1,734 1,759 1,559 1,509
Bloxham ‡ 3,142 1,157 1,157 1,300 1,343 1,319 1,336 1,366 1,477 1,538 1,340 1,340
Milcombe Chap. ‡ 1,254 201 200 220 230 224 241 241 257 221 219 169
Broughton ‡:— 2,083 419 432 517 538 629 616 641 591 576 539 525
Broughton 975 157 170 226 220 181 180 213 152 158 164 159
Newington, North Hamlet 1,108 262 262 291 318 448 436 428 439 418 375 366
Cropredy (part of):— (fn. 12)
Mollington Chap. (part of) (fn. 13) 783 199 179 310 360 283 241 234 165 158 147 132
Drayton ‡ 926 183 197 185 184 206 224 186 169 162 176 172
Hanwell ‡ 1,270 264 230 286 288 297 301 285 255 253 225 176
Horley † 1,141 269 290 317 330 425 392 337 338 315 277 247
Hornton † 1,473 485 453 529 551 592 591 514 561 500 426 362
Shenington 1,628 300 332 381 433 463 437 415 373 385 328 284
Swalcliffe (part of):— (fn. 14) 2,766 610 659 710 755 821 899 796 757 698 696 649
Sibford Ferris Township 1,008 213 234 216 248 287 350 314 308 267 276 255
Sibford Gower Township 1,758 397 425 494 507 534 549 482 449 431 420 394
Tadmarton ‡ 2,070 387 377 401 355 404 450 411 434 357 320 301
Wigginton ‡ 1,187 192 220 291 327 310 314 338 310 265 245 211
Wroxton ‡ 2,543 613 652 792 780 819 789 751 736 662 643 562
Bullington Hundred
Albury ‡:— 1,131 177 194 214 239 244 234 183 200 209 203 207
Albury 674 54 46 38 41 37 60 42 29 31 53 39
Tiddington Hamlet † 457 123 148 176 198 207 174 141 171 178 150 168
Ambrosden ‡:— 4,336 625 650 843 914 892 937 871 813 717 653 594
Ambrosden 605 111 140 180 183 181 172 161 151 160 168 138
Arncot Chap 1,700 209 200 270 314 331 348 334 311 243 202 196
Blackthorn Chap 2,031 305 310 393 417 380 417 376 351 314 283 260
Baldon Marsh ‡ 829 208 277 312 318 360 351 342 316 300 270 280
Baldon Toot ‡ 1,565 223 262 258 272 269 290 260 250 217 292 228
Beckley:— 5,859 691 758 825 776 763 778 749 737 646 685 573
Beckley 3,620 318 343 396 371 345 352 329 353 354 345 300
Horton-cumStudley Hamlet 1,287 283 317 339 320 330 351 347 319 243 261 213
Studley Hamlet 952 90 98 90 85 88 75 73 65 49 79 60
Cowley † 996 345 392 472 558 606 775 1,404 3,725 5,633 8,161 9,258
Cuddesdon:— 2,901 1,065 1,143 1,328 1,460 1,483 1,542 1,591 1,603 1,545 1,425 1,332
Cuddesdon † 1,052 244 239 267 317 305 337 384 410 372 343 301
Chippinghurst Hamlet 314 22 19 28 30 18 13 19 16 15 16 17
Denton Chap 545 114 121 134 137 163 155 157 136 138 146 142
Wheatley Chap. 990 685 764 899 976 997 1,037 1,031 1,041 1,020 920 872
Elsfield ‡ 1,295 175 164 188 185 185 168 179 159 170 176 150
Forest Hill † ‡ 650 115 118 157 142 149 149 191 208 166 133 163
Shotover Extra Part.† (fn. 15) 900 59 87 85 149 177 163 157 127 199 183 156
Garsington ‡ 2,233 493 492 595 597 591 635 643 636 607 589 577
Headington* (fn. 16) 2,257 669 841 1,087 1,388 1,668 1,653 2,110 2,384 2,776 3,342 3,696
Holton † 1,594 238 224 260 277 289 244 245 236 224 200 188
Horsepath ‡ 1,154 205 241 264 275 306 333 334 373 324 330 333
Iffley:— 1,138 331 370 527 656 958 969 1,004 990 990 1,114 2,358
Iffley † 331 370 527 656 764 755 770 817 766 855 2,198
Littlemore Liberty (part of) † (fn. 17) 194 214 234 173 224 259 160
Marston ‡ 1,251 264 296 340 364 396 471 452 447 515 720 668
Merton ‡ 1,932 152 154 163 234 230 200 204 217 169 195 182
Milton, Great (part of):— (fn. 18)
Chilworth Hamlet 1,082 35 72 63 87 93 90 79 94 76 86 68
Nuneham Courtenay ‡ 2,108 278 261 312 314 351 358 314 304 261 285 277
Oxford, St. Clement † (fn. 19) 261 413 488 770 1,836 1,769 2,139 2,286 3,389 4,545 5,178 5,180
Piddington 2,354 310 317 359 422 427 420 389 347 281 280 212
Sandford (or Wet Sandford)‡ 1,005 178 172 193 229 304 273 376 348 318 287 301
Stanton St. John ‡ 2,731 349 397 468 470 510 555 518 488 548 497 452
Stowood 593 33 19 26 26 33 31 27 27 18 50 43
Waterperry ‡ (fn. 20) 2,500 195 239 242 243 270 258 231 225 191 182 156
Wood Eaton ‡ 788 73 67 69 86 62 89 83 80 67 84 87
Chadlington Hundred
Ascot-underWychwood ‡ (fn. 21) 1,839 410 392 409 419 463 456 458 462 401 430 372
Bruern (Ville) Extra Par. 1,876 30 42 64 41 46 48 51 47 42 38 70
Charlbury (part of) (fn. 22):— 5,629 835 823 885 941 950 1,025 1,028 983 924 883 772
Chadlington, East, Chap. 3,450 593 570 633 681 654 709 753 727 706 685 620
Shorthampton Chap. (fn. 23) (fn. 24) 1,678 242 240 252 251 287 309 267 247 218 198 152
Walcot Hamlet (fn. 25) 501 13 9 9 7 8 9
Chastleton ‡ 1,769 218 223 250 238 239 236 218 202 208 203 149
Churchill † 2,848 491 588 665 633 651 645 642 562 505 548 519
Cornwell ‡ 849 87 113 97 110 97 110 97 91 93 86 67
Enstone ‡ 6,245 912 962 1,077 1,172 1,121 1,249 1,198 1,094 1,102 1,144 925
Fifield 1,160 133 147 136 163 213 248 234 223 246 222 182
Fulbrook † 1,951 320 333 351 361 368 406 392 332 349 311 299
Idbury † 1,559 188 187 193 185 207 222 233 225 189 219 195
Kiddington ‡ 2,190 189 235 252 292 274 303 305 256 275 252 237
Kingham ‡ 1,877 428 442 464 504 555 617 678 613 617 769 816
Minster Lovell ‡ 1,951 283 252 326 355 316 450 586 561 511 443 459
Northmoor † ‡ 2,048 334 351 366 360 367 375 364 366 299 267 212
Norton, Chipping:—‡ 4,874 2,200 2,331 2,640 2,637 3,031 3,368 3,510 4,092 4,607 4,564 4,130
Norton, Chipping, Township* 2,456 1,812 1,975 2,266 2,262 2,629 2,932 3,137 3,641 4,167 4,222 3,780
Norton, Over, Hamlet† 2,418 388 356 374 375 402 436 373 451 440 342 350
Norton, Hook ‡ (fn. 26) 5,495 1,032 1,129 1,351 1,506 1,525 1,496 1,393 1,259 1,232 1,265 1,386
Rollright, Great ‡ (fn. 27) 2,414 403 362 419 438 459 445 410 371 388 349 318
Rollright, Little ‡ 627 29 36 28 29 25 30 36 34 38 27 39
Salford ‡ 1,567 225 251 293 341 330 372 397 390 378 347 289
Sarsden 1,431 92 120 128 154 179 188 166 135 156 175 168
Shipton-underWychwood:— 8,667 1,969 2,005 2,275 2,454 2,624 2,968 3,166 3,347 2,972 3,057 2,686
Shipton-underWychwood:— 2,520 406 395 441 506 546 616 655 761 724 743 672
Langley Hamlet 303 51 50 63 64 68 52 53 46 50 66 30
Leafield Chapelry (fn. 28) 901 487 478 553 656 740 837 871 896 712 734 671
Lyneham Hamlet 1,943 195 206 260 237 248 261 237 249 215 192 202
Milton Township 2,080 495 522 567 568 660 799 895 962 836 898 759
Ramsden Chap ‡ 920 335 354 391 423 362 403 455 433 435 424 352
Spelsbury ‡ 4,304 509 554 610 609 597 578 516 593 540 501 442
Swerford ‡ 1,925 327 370 395 441 430 440 402 437 416 387 310
Swinbrook † 1,319 132 167 208 222 218 195 191 201 168 186 145
Taynton † ‡ 2,338 315 305 324 371 381 379 341 335 323 290 230
Wychwood (fn. 23) 3,782 106 163 213 212 189
Dorchester Hundred
Bensington (or Benson) (part of):—
Fifield Hamlet (fn. 29) 11 16 2 13 21 12 12 11
Chislehampton 939 128 112 118 126 153 152 133 125 103 114 85
Clifton Hampden ‡ 1,245 216 223 277 288 297 369 355 377 347 302 290
Culham ‡ 2,063 364 389 359 404 404 417 474 579 544 474 344
Dorchester ‡:— 2,633 913 901 999 1,029 1,078 1,061 1,097 1,053 1,012 993 944
Dorchester 1,954 777 754 854 866 895 872 925 866 813 852 808
Burcot Hamlet 679 136 147 145 163 183 189 172 187 199 141 136
Drayton † &‡ 1,288 260 287 343 333 327 327 327 315 287 265 241
Stadhampton 623 193 203 254 313 384 401 329 313 268 276 253
Stoke, South ‡ 3,370 564 645 739 751 907 856 810 762 838 717 780
Ewelme Hundred
Bensington (or Benson) (part of) † (fn. 30) 2,920 811 884 959 1,253 1,233 1,219 1,157 1,248 1,145 1,113 960
Berrick Salome † 600 143 142 174 134 164 152 141 146 105 75 87
Brightwell Bald win ‡ 1,612 237 266 286 332 312 294 277 253 220 242 187
Chalgrove † 2,385 518 506 569 549 691 616 549 527 512 429 379
Cuxham 492 144 135 182 207 222 172 177 160 139 135 130
Easington † 235 31 20 25 13 24 18 26 34 22 31 26
Ewelme † ‡ 2,495 490 535 573 619 663 673 684 691 602 540 494
Haseley, Great ‡ 3,255 608 598 628 749 786 750 714 745 681 623 551
Ickford (part of):— (fn. 31)
Draycot Ham let † 250 12 11 21 16 17 19 12
Nettlebed ‡ 1,172 501 456 545 618 690 754 737 688 657 697 544
Newington:— 2,836 247 314 445 470 471 454 446 450 413 404 324
Newington † ‡ 2,116 195 252 401 418 419 408 403 369 363 343 264
Britwell Prior Chap. 720 52 62 44 52 52 46 43 81 50 61 60
Nuffield ‡ 2,104 139 154 198 197 216 251 259 203 215 236 203
Swyncombe ‡ 2,708 285 287 345 367 399 428 446 397 364 308 342
Warborough ‡ 1,697 535 600 684 681 737 729 764 741 689 658 585
Warpsgrove ‡ 335 25 19 27 36 23 30 20 23 19 26 30
Langtree Hundred
Checkendon † ‡ 3,077 278 262 295 346 398 410 357 339 383 415 407
Crowmarsh Gifford ‡ 662 204 184 230 325 330 373 360 339 304 300 300
Goring ‡ 4,611 677 790 867 933 971 993 947 902 1,027 1,487 1,419
Ipsden † 3,442 476 481 583 582 610 629 623 640 699 754 726
Mapledurham ‡ 3,068 452 450 508 536 481 509 486 479 422 445 519
Mongwell 1,654 125 150 142 162 202 197 177 160 148 177 143
Newnham Murren 1,852 213 216 260 249 254 237 231 246 248 214 197
Stoke, North 853 166 147 203 199 160 160 177 187 167 161 156
Whitechurch † ‡ (fn. 32) 2,358 577 540 647 745 843 893 857 836 902 934 946
Lewknor Hundred
Adwell † 443 40 36 44 48 46 75 68 51 55 68 64
Aston Rowant ‡ 2,924 740 787 870 946 885 901 884 840 646 601 579
Britwell Salome 884 155 159 192 216 233 248 217 212 158 124 110
Chinnor ‡ 2,712 862 895 1,097 1,225 1,308 1,257 1,296 1,379 1,237 1,247 1,002
Crowell ‡ 996 149 58 159 159 169 167 162 203 121 102 104
Emmington ‡ 740 76 69 77 80 97 104 88 83 75 51 44
Kingsey (part of) (fn. 33) 530 59 31 66 98 92 66 84
Lewknor (part of) † (fn. 34) 4,263 597 592 691 709 847 803 770 779 669 547 510
Sydenham ‡ 1,548 331 326 367 423 438 394 397 377 355 339 262
Stokenchurch † 4,374 811 888 1,102 1,290 1,334 1,492 1,508 1,551 1,630 1,661 1,458
Pyroton Hundred
Ibstone (part of) (fn. 35) 273 170 148 172 192 158 137 120
Pishill 793 96 133 155 170 147 192 214 217 170 195 139
Pyrton 4,847 527 551 622 661 711 692 705 600 566 557 453
Shirburn‡ 2,421 313 321 332 325 338 250 292 308 313 300 285
Stoke Talmage ‡ (fn. 36) 869 153 127 140 107 101 106 113 129 106 97 100
Watlington (fn. 37) 3,687 1,276 1,312 1,479 1,833 1,855 1,884 1,938 1,943 1,815 1,734 1,554
Weston, South 485 105 94 108 118 104 98 92 97 97 93 92
Wheatfield† 788 89 85 79 105 99 85 89 91 99 88 72
Ploughley Hundred
Ardley‡ 1,493 109 136 191 170 168 152 169 177 161 135 130
Bicester‡:— 3,739 1,946 2,146 2,644 2,868 3,022 3,054 3,049 3,328 3,306 3,343 3,023
Bicester, King's End Township 1,457 196 225 271 280 279 291 338 310 329 322 278
Bicester, Market End Township* 2,282 1,750 1,921 2,373 2,588 2,743 2,763 2,711 3,018 2,977 3,021 2,745
Bletchingdon‡ 2,654 503 521 570 641 638 673 659 693 602 649 549
Bucknell‡ 1,894 218 219 235 274 287 343 326 296 264 233 205
Caversfield† 1,498 94 87 108 123 178 132 183 174 140 128 147
Charlton on Otmoor‡:— 1,961 478 515 581 658 658 657 687 604 503 477 464
Charlton on Otmoor 822 215 253 307 358 345 368 374 358 290 294 301
Fencot and Mercot Hamlets 1,139 263 262 274 300 313 289 313 246 213 183 163
Chesterton‡ 2,527 330 361 392 382 393 435 384 336 317 384 352
Cottisford‡ 1,506 106 131 140 163 187 263 269 246 240 222 175
Finmere‡ 1,570 308 337 395 373 387 399 338 327 291 283 226
Fringford‡ 1,460 252 258 289 358 390 357 401 479 411 403 335
Fritwell†‡ (fn. 38) 1,879 396 436 476 494 524 514 542 552 556 560 454
Godington‡ 1,019 99 85 110 118 117 87 85 70 60 72 57
Hampton Gay‡ 684 67 76 86 86 74 82 67 46 40 30 33
Hampton Poyle‡ 807 100 128 153 156 141 131 125 123 105 106 105
Hardwick† 385 61 85 98 80 80 66 59 74 60 50 46
Heath (or Hethe)†‡ 1,102 262 319 350 414 380 418 442 393 375 371 311
Heyford, Lower‡ 1,765 346 359 495 541 562 605 625 625 518 515 494
Heyford, Upper‡ 1,628 217 230 257 326 337 399 453 449 384 341 319
Islip†‡ 1,978 557 564 655 645 674 744 688 635 600 579 549
Kirtlington‡ (fn. 39) (fn. 40) 3,582 525 536 697 687 846 716 725 761 718 733 594
Launton‡ 2,818 372 431 553 570 619 706 711 746 597 619 545
Middleton Stoney‡ 1,853 309 363 340 307 309 307 259 309 293 328 324
Mixbury†‡ 2,972 304 336 336 387 391 402 381 338 273 239 221
Newton Purcell 602 93 116 143 131 118 117 105 122 89 90 103
Noke†‡ 808 150 153 168 187 153 140 116 134 118 108 88
Oddington‡ 1,363 158 160 166 176 126 126 169 147 150 161 109
Shelswell (fn. 41) 822 42 46 51 49 43 43 44 43 42 17 45
Somerton†‡ 1,842 254 314 400 392 329 342 335 365 344 286 265
Souldern‡ 1,496 394 449 491 599 604 619 587 588 515 453 406
Stoke Lyne 3,901 334 394 509 593 601 631 625 603 551 511 409
Stratton Audley†‡ (fn. 42) 2,089 379 288 342 360 319 305 378 368 311 346 270
Tusmore (fn. 39) 735 31 23 16 19 52 45 43 27 16 51
Wendlebury‡ 1,154 146 181 200 196 214 242 257 189 166 203 196
Weston on the Green‡ 2,295 350 390 462 494 504 517 459 413 363 325 263
Thame Hundred
Attington Extra Par. 444 7 10 8 7 8 16 15 6 29 25 18
Milton, Great (part of) (fn. 43):— 2,025 566 634 638 697 644 664 650 637 627 567 486
Milton, Great Township 1,444 509 588 593 600 615 643 630 618 609 547 455
Ascot Hamlet 581 57 46 45 97 29 21 20 19 18 20 31
Milton, Little 1,348 325 384 442 473 482 418 411 418 364 348 311
Tetsworth 1,179 396 426 495 530 523 512 481 501 428 460 382
Thame* ‡ (fn. 44) 5,229 2,293 2,328 2,479 2,885 3,060 3,259 3,245 3,229 3,267 3,334 2,911
Waterstock † ‡ 678 114 135 132 142 127 141 147 133 130 127 108
Wootton Hundred
Aston, North ‡ 1,288 220 258 296 305 289 308 296 273 225 253 207
Aston, Steeple ‡:— 1,974 423 440 515 562 580 702 736 844 776 803 677
Aston, Steeple 1,076 333 346 395 441 469 601 650 749 682 699 619
Aston, Middle Township 898 90 94 120 121 111 101 86 95 94 104 58
Barford St. Michael † 1,162 266 292 339 350 370 392 332 305 298 295 231
Barton, Steeple † ‡ 2,983 393 432 404 606 640 757 859 956 915 798 651
Barton, Westcot † ‡ 974 184 205 253 258 290 279 302 284 236 231 177
Begbroke † ‡ 577 80 118 102 102 110 98 104 80 68 79 95
Bladon:— 1,456 351 481 510 585 687 720 666 664 613 670 699
Bladon 851 287 368 380 442 399 484 395 371 333 432 408
Hensington Hamlet * (fn. 45) 605 64 113 130 143 288 236 271 293 280 238 291
Cassington ‡ (fn. 46) 2,299 374 397 393 428 381 454 433 401 335 356 314
Cogges ‡ (fn. 46) 2,285 343 281 452 673 757 814 714 664 694 782 790
Combe, Long ‡ 1,417 424 511 564 619 605 655 627 564 541 527 468
Deddington † ‡ 4,243 1,552 1,650 1,847 2,078 2,025 2,178 2,024 2,061 1,958 1,777 1,490
Duns Tew ‡ 1,749 318 371 460 450 449 452 407 378 307 266 232
Eynsham 5,446 1,166 1,418 1,705 1,858 1,893 1,941 2,096 2,177 2,076 1,998 1,757
Glympton ‡ 1,259 96 114 141 125 119 149 153 167 158 160 147
Handborough ‡ 2,270 655 721 885 883 1,009 1,153 1,059 1,010 968 1,002 879
Heythrop and Dunthrop † ‡ 1,689 89 56 136 123 198 190 122 142 250 254 257
Kidlington ‡:— 4,768 857 948 1,153 1,217 1,303 1,494 1,507 1,404 1,394 1,370 1,380
Kidlington † 2,194 657 736 938 986 1,035 1,185 1,190 1,129 1,087 1,040 1,070
Gosford Hamlet 260 47 41 47 45 39 30 52 40 40 44 56
Thrup Hamlet † 813 56 64 55 84 125 160 150 127 139 125 106
Water Eaton Hamlet † 1,501 97 107 113 102 104 119 115 108 128 161 148
Leigh, North ‡ (fn. 47) 2,500 517 525 592 591 617 725 738 722 656 748 717
Leigh, South † ‡ (fn. 48) 2,074 240 248 316 339 326 359 319 320 359 325 305
Newington, South ‡ 1,437 395 343 428 462 434 419 400 372 324 282 250
Rousham ‡ 1,068 141 140 160 156 123 134 131 128 156 167 128
Sandford ‡ 2,292 312 352 489 534 515 526 476 476 485 443 340
Shipton on Cherwell ‡ 1,058 106 104 147 148 123 135 131 148 115 71 80
Stanton Harcourt † ‡ 3,740 504 553 606 657 665 699 661 624 541 561 491
Stonesfield ‡ 817 374 436 498 535 553 632 650 572 586 577 497
Tackley ‡ 2,913 369 390 478 564 583 558 626 570 540 506 453
Tew, Great ‡ 3,007 402 457 531 440 459 541 454 504 479 433 334
Tew, Little ‡ 1,579 219 208 229 216 215 237 262 275 277 264 191
Wilcote ‡ (fn. 46) 319 11 10 9 10 12 7 10 8 9
Woolvercot † (fn. 49) 1,440 341 429 493 524 470 637 617 680 756 867 966
Wootton 4,274 823 888 1,084 1,060 1,129 1,250 1,238 1,231 1,081 1,069 1,027
Worton, Nether ‡ 734 57 83 96 94 59 62 61 69 61 29 52
Worton, Over ‡ 631 53 54 56 56 45 85 82 66 60 89 66
Yarnton (or Yarington) † ‡ 1,493 215 237 273 299 302 317 294 293 279 299 280
Oxford City and University
All Saints (fn. 50) 7 584 485 600 560 593 559 468 383 372 319 216
Binsey ‡ (fn. 51) 386 55 66 82 74 61 77 67 95 63 73 54
Holywell (or St. Cross) (fn. 50) 236 732 862 982 944 930 901 916 934 821 709 710
St. Aldate (part of) (fn. 52) (fn. 50) 101 1,045 1,472 1,871 1,452 1,417 1,481 1,323 1,345 1,204 1,102 926
St. Ebbe 48 853 951 1,332 3,123 4,169 4,656 4,909 5,105 5,297 4,964 4,486
St. Giles (fn. 53) 976 1,241 1,312 1,516 2,855 3,970 4,882 5,025 5,945 8,584 10,548 11,877
St. John (fn. 50) 9 111 130 125 122 89 107 130 101 97 80 64
St. Mary the Virgin:— 625 596 629 737 844 762 1,124 1,206 1,330 1,301 1,327 1,639
St. Mary the Virgin ‡ (fn. 50) 12 337 356 383 419 409 391 314 262 272 224 206
Littlemore Liberty (part of) † (fn. 54) 613 259 273 354 425 353 733 892 1,068 1,029 1,103 1,433
St. Mary Magdalen ‡ (fn. 50) 42 1,446 1,579 2,056 2,440 2,600 2,476 2,616 2,419 2,067 1,733 1,377
St. Martin 5 451 468 506 490 459 449 377 306 295 314 236
St. Michael ‡ (fn. 50) 15 853 904 1,041 971 1,034 1,022 876 869 696 592 586
St. Peter-leBailey ‡ (fn. 50) 11 800 923 1,265 1,236 1,282 1,315 1,149 1,240 887 695 656
St. Peter-in-theEast (fn. 55) (fn. 56) 86 1,050 1,104 1,385 1,126 1,167 1,144 976 850 593 497 366
St. Thomas (fn. 56) 650 1,020 1,370 1,839 3,277 3,733 4,205 5,042 6,496 8,374 8,434 8,895
University of Oxford (fn. 56) 1,171 1,015 1,463 1,634 1,629 1,251 641 377 468 263 298
University College 61 54 65 14 23 12 2 1
Balliol College 76 77 81 23 23 27 10 10
Merton College 44 63 39 20 16 11 6 9
Exeter College 98 110 100 77 17 29 5 6
Oriel College 69 78 55 22 9 7 10 6
Queen's College 105 86 37 42 17 11 8 12
New College 64 64 66 22 15 21 16 22
Lincoln College 40 52 26 10 6 14 9 12
All Souls College 22 26 16 17 18 31 19 16
Magdalen College 53 59 50 98 39 42 12 15
Brasenose College 94 100 73 14 5 4 6 6
Corpus Christi College 46 42 31 22 7 17 5 9
Christ Church College 320 290 201 77 67 73 58 104
Trinity College. 64 60 62 11 10 16 18 8
St. John's College 62 72 78 30 24 27 13 8
Jesus College 82 65 44 18 12 16 5 10
Wadham College 76 77 76 27 14 20 11 7
Pembroke College 57 43 31 24 17 21 10 6
Worcester College 68 75 41 17 9 22 16 13
St. Mary Hall 14 26 11 15 8 9 6 4
Magdalen Hall (or Hertford College) 50 43 24 16 7 10 7 4
New Inn Hall 9 14 13 4 0 8 0 0
St. Alban Hall 31 24 18 15 10 11 0 0
St. Edmund Hall 29 29 13 6 4 9 11 10
Liberty of Oxford
Blenheim Park, Extra Parochial (fn. 56) 2,269 121 121 90 83 109 93 118 141 122 151 164
Woodstock (fn. 57) 62 1,322 1,419 1,455 1,380 1,412 1,262 1,201 1,195 1,133 1,136 1,106

Footnotes

  • 1. Ancient County.—The County as defined by the Act 7 & 8 Vict. c. 61, which affected Oxfordshire to the following extent:—Gained from (A) Berkshire, the main part of Langford Parish (i.e. Langford Civil Parish), Little Faringdon Tything, and Shilton Parish—all from the Faringdon Hundred: (B) Gloucestershire, the parishes of Widford (from Slaughter Hundred—Lower Division), and Shenington (from Tewkesbury Hundred—Upper Division); (c) Buckinghamshire, the hamlet of Studley (from Ashenden Hundred), and the parish of Caversfield (from Buckingham Hundred). Relinquished to (A) Buckinghamshire, Lillingstone Lovell Parish and Boycutt Hamlet (both from Ploughley Hundred), and part of Lewknor Parish (from Lewknor Hundred); (B) Gloucestershire, part of Broughton Poggs Parish, viz. Great Lemhill Farm (from Bampton Hundred)—Great Lemhill Farm is included in Gloucestershire (Lechlade Parish). The area is taken from the 1901 Census volume. It does not include a part of Whitchurch Parish in Berkshire (309 acres), part of which area was added to Sulham (Berkshire) under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882, and the remainder was added to Purley (Berkshire) in 1894 (See note to Whitchurch, Langtree Hundred). The population for 1811 excludes 1,423 militia, who were not assigned to their respective parishes. The area, as given in 1901, also includes any parts added to Oxfordshire under the Divided Parishes Acts, but excludes any parts taken from it under the same Acts—two such changes only are known, probably both small in area, one from Northamptonshire and the other to Berkshire. There are still (1901) some lands in Oxfordshire common to two or more Parishes (or Places); these uninhabited lands are included in the area of the County, but not in the areas of the Parishes (or Places) to which thay jointly belong. (See also notes to Mollington, Kingsey, Ickford, Lewknor, Ibstone, and Oxford St. Aldate.)
  • 2. Weald Hamlet included with Bampton Township, 1801–31 and 1881–1901. The area is also included there.
  • 3. Stonelands was added to Shilton before 1871, and there included 1871–1901. The area is also included there.
  • 4. Charlbury Ancient Parish is partly in Banbury Hundred and partly in Chadlington Hundred.
  • 5. Charlbury Township (or Civil Parish) includes Walcot (Chadlington Hundred), 1881–1901.
  • 6. Cornbury Park, perhaps included in Charlbury Parish, 1801–31.
  • 7. Cropredy Ancient Parish is comprised (A) partly in Banbury Hundred, (B) partly in Bloxham Hundred, and (C) the remainder in Warwickshire.
  • 8. Prescote maintained its own poor as early as 1841.
  • 9. Swalcliffe Ancient Parish is comprised partly in Banbury Hundred and partly in Bloxham Hundred.
  • 10. Harpsden includes the former parish of Bolney, which had ceased to have any separate existence prior to 1801.
  • 11. The remainder of Sonning Ancient Parish is in Berkshire.
  • 12. See note (3), p. 216.
  • 13. The remainder of Mollington Chapelry in sin Warwickshire; the figures for 1821 and 1831 for the part in Warwickshire cannot be ascertained, so the whole is shown in Oxfordshire.
  • 14. See note (7), p. 216.
  • 15. Shotover, described as Extra Parochial up to and including 1851, seems to have been partly a Civil Parish and partly Extra Parochial (Shotover Hill Place), the latter becoming a separate Civil Parish under the Extra Parochial Places Act, 1857. The two are, however, shown together in the table for convenience of comparison.
  • 16. Headington.—The figures for 1801 are estimated.
  • 17. Littlemore Liberty is partly in Iffley Parish (Bullingdon Hundred) and partly in St. Mary the Virgin Parish (Oxford City and University). The whole population is shown under the latter Parish, 1801–31. The increase in the part in St. Mary the Virgin in 1851 is due to the erection of a lunatic asylum for paupers between 1841 and 1851.
  • 18. Great Milton Ancient Parish is partly in Bullingdon Hundred and partly in Thame Hundred.
  • 19. Oxford St. Clement.—A new workhouse erected between 1861 and 1871 for the Oxford Poor Law Incorporation.
  • 20. Waterperry includes Thomley, which has been shown separately in Census volumes from 1861.
  • 21. Wychwood Forest, previously Extra Parochial, was created a Parish under the Whichwood Disafforesting Act, 1853. High Lodge (in the Forest) is known to have been included with Ascot-under-Wychwood 1831–51. Ranger's Lodge and Waterman's Lodge (in the Forest) are known to have been included with Shorthampton in 1841 and 1851. Poole's and Pratley's Lodges (in the Forest) are known to have been included with Leafield in 1841 and 1851.
  • 22. See note (2), p. 216.
  • 23. See note (7), p. 218.
  • 24. Shorthampton includes Shock's Coppice, formerly described as Extra Parochial; Shock's Coppice was added to Shorthampton between 1861 and 1871.
  • 25. See note (8), p. 216.
  • 26. Hook Norton.—The increase of population in 1821 is said to consist only of paupers.
  • 27. Great Rollright.—In 1830 67 persons emigrated to America from this Parish.
  • 28. Leafield includes Brice's Lodge, stated to be formerly Extra Parochial, which was definitely added to Leafield before 1871.
  • 29. Fifield Hamlet included with the rest of Bensington Parish in Ewelme Hundred 1881 to 1901. The area is also included there.
  • 30. See note (8), p. 219.
  • 31. The remainder of Ickford Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire, where the population of Draycot Hamlet is included 1801–31.
  • 32. Whitchurch includes Whitchurch Tollhouse, stated to have been at one time Extra Parochial. Part of the Parish is in Berkshire, but the whole is shown in Oxfordshire (1801–1901), as the part in Berkshire was not distinguished until 1861.
  • 33. Kingsey.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire. There seems to have been considerable confusion as to where the County boundary really divided the Parish, consequently the figures for each part (though not for the whole) must be received with caution. The whole population is shown in Buckinghamshire 1801–31.
  • 34. Lewknor.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire; the whole population is shown in Oxfordshire 1801–41. The part in Buckinghamshire was transferred to that County under the Act 7 & 8 Vic. c. 61.
  • 35. Ibstone.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire, where the whole population is shown 1801–31.
  • 36. The decrease in Stoke Talmage in 1831 is attributed to the non-residence of pauper parishioners.
  • 37. The increase in Watlington in 1831 consists mainly of paupers.
  • 38. The population of Fritwell for 1801 is an estimate.
  • 39. Hardwick included Tusmore in 1821.
  • 40. There was a temporary increase of 157 persons in Kirtlington in 1841 owing to the annual village-feast being held at the time of the Census.
  • 41. The population of Shelswell for 1801 is an estimate.
  • 42. Stratton Audley.—There seems to have been, according to some of the earlier Census volumes, a part of this Ancient Parish in Bucks, but no such part has ever been set out.
  • 43. See note (4), p. 218.
  • 44. Thame.—The increases in 1821 and 1831 are stated to be chiefly of paupers.
  • 45. Hensington was stated in 1841 and 1851 to include certain Extra Parochial almshouses (adjoining Blenheim Park); apparently, if they ever were legally Extra Parochial, they were added to Hensington, as the figures for the latter 1851–1901 relate to the same area.
  • 46. Cogges included Wilcots in 1801 and 1811.
  • 47. North Leigh included 1841–1861 an Extra Parochial Place, viz.: Horse-in-Hill or Osney Hill. In 1871–1901 this area is shown as a separate Civil Parish, but is included with North Leigh in this Table.
  • 48. South Leigh.—In 1831 there were nearly 7 persons to each house and yet 60 pauper parishioners were living outside its limits.
  • 49. Woolvercot included 1841–1861 the following Extra Parochial Places, viz.: Cutslow, Godstow, and King's Weir. In the 1871 volume a new Civil Parish of Cutteslowe is shown (formed out of Woolvercot); this Parish is not shown in the Table, but is included with Woolvercot.
  • 50. University of Oxford.— The Colleges and Halls are arranged according to seniority of foundation. In 1841 all the Colleges and Halls were said to be Extra Parochial; in 1851 this was said to be doubtful; in 1901 those in the Oxford Incorporation are rated and the rate is paid by the University—they are not rated to the Parishes in which they stand—in the Headington Union they are, viz. Corpus Christi College, Merton College, St. Alban Hall, and part of Oriel College to St. John. Their areas are included in the Parishes where they are locally situated:—Worcester College in St. Thomas; Lincoln College in All Saints; Wadham College in Holywell; Corpus Christi College, Merton College, St. Alban Hall, and part of Oriel College in St. John; All Souls College, Brasenose College, St. Mary Hall, and part of Oriel College in St. Mary the Virgin (Proper); Balliol College, St. John's College, and Trinity College in St. Mary Magdalen; Exeter College and Jesus College in St. Michael; New Inn Hall in St. Peter-le-Bailey; Magdalen College, Hertford College, New College, Queen's College, University College, St. Edmund Hall in St. Peter-in-the-East; and Christ Church College and Pembroke College in St. Aldate (part in Oxfordshire). In 1811 the female residents were not included in the Return.
  • 51. Binsey may be in the Liberty of Oxford. Its population includes 35 gipsies in tents in 1871.
  • 52. Oxford St. Aldate.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Berkshire, viz.: Grampound Tithing, which was, however, included in Oxfordshire in 1821. The part in Oxfordshire includes certain almshouses in St. Aldate Street, which claimed to be Extra Parochial; they are not mentioned after 1851, so seem to have either been added to St. Aldate or to have relinquished the claim.
  • 53. Oxford St. Giles includes Keble College and Charsley's Hall, both erected between 1861 and 1871. The Workhouse was pulled down between 1861 and 1871.
  • 54. See note (3), p. 218.
  • 55. Oxford St. Peter-in-the-East.—Merton Fields claimed at one time to be Extra Parochial.
  • 56. Blenheim Park was not returned in 1801; its population is assumed to have been the same as in 1811.
  • 57. Woodstock.—The decrease in 1851 is attributed partly to the fact that in 1841 a large number of workmen were temporarily employed in alterations and repairs at Blenheim Palace.