A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 7, Dorchester and Thame Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1962.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This volume, the sixth to appear in the Oxfordshire set of the Victoria Histories, is a further outcome of the partnership between the Oxfordshire Victoria County History Committee and the University of London. The local committee, under the chairmanship of Sir Charles Ponsonby, has been responsible for the preparation of the text, and the University of London for the final editing and publication. To the local committee, whose members are named below, the thanks of the University are due for their valuable subsidies. Gratitude must also be expressed to many private subscribers whose names are also printed here.
Work on this volume has been going on since 1950: it was finally written and edited between January 1958 and March 1959. Much is owed to the kindness of the governing bodies of several Oxford Colleges, the incumbents of the Oxfordshire parishes included in this volume, the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, the Archivist of the Lincolnshire Record Office, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, private owners, and others, who have given permission to use documents in their care or have lent them to the local committee. Footnotes throughout the volume testify to their considerateness.
Particular mention must be made of the help given by the staff of the Bodleian Library, especially by Dr. Molly Barratt and Dr. W. O. Hassall, and by Mr. H. M. Walton, the County Archivist, and his assistant Mr. S. G. Baker.
In writing the history great help has also been given by Mr. H. M. Colvin, who has revised all the architectural sections, by Mr. P. S. Spokes, who gave information on heraldry, by Dr. Joycelyne G. Dickinson, and by many others, namely the Revd. E. P. Baker, Mrs. H. M. Colvin, Miss C. L. M. Hawtrey, the late Revd. R. A. Ker, Mrs. D. Long, Miss Kathleen Moore, Miss Katharine Price, Miss Ethel Savill, Miss Mary Savill, and Mrs. A. Selwyn, who have freely given of their time. Their public spirit is here thankfully acknowledged.