A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. THE HOSPITAL OF TOLETHORPE
A hospital was founded at Tolethorpe in 1301 by John de Tolethorpe for the maintenance of seven poor men, with a chaplain as warden. (fn. 1) It seems, however, that the original purpose of the foundation was not long observed, as in 1359 Sir William de Burton rebuilt the ancient chapel at Tolethorpe and obtained papal authority to found therein a college of a master and six chaplains, for whom the bishops of Lincoln, London, and Rochester were to draw up ordinances. (fn. 2) At the same time indulgences were granted to those visiting the chapel on the feasts of the Blessed Virgin or St. Anne, further indulgences being granted the following year. (fn. 3) By the foundation the master and chaplains were to support the chapel out of the offerings made there, but in 1362 the founder sought the royal licence to appropriate to its support the advowson of the parish church of Little Casterton. (fn. 4) Either the college was not after all endowed, or the endowment proved insufficient, for it seems speedily to have come to an end, surviving only as a chantry, for which the parish priest of Little Casterton was apparently obliged to provide a chaplain to serve the chapel three times a week: in 1410 he was exonerated from this duty by Thomas Burton, (fn. 5) and it is probable that the chapel was not regularly maintained at all after this date. It is mentioned as appendant to the manor of Tolethorpe as late as 1496, when there was still a messuage called the College House, and a close called the Chapel Close: (fn. 6) but the chapel itself was probably in ruins by that time.
Richard is entered as master in 1379, with John as his assistant chaplain, (fn. 7) but no other names of incumbents of either the hospital or college are known.