A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1935.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF ALSTOE
Alstoe Hundred was named apparently after Alstoe (Altiechestouwe) in the north of Burley parish (q.v.). The court was probably held at Alstoe Mount, a mount and bailey fortress to the north-east of Burley village. (fn. 1) Horn was in the 14th century in East Hundred. (fn. 2) It is not clear whether the profits of the hundreds of Martinsley, Alstoe and East were included in the grant of the county to Ralph de Normanville in 1205, (fn. 3) but they seem to have passed with the grant to Richard Earl of Cornwall in 1252, (fn. 4) and they are specifically mentioned in the grant to Margaret, widow of Piers de Gaveston. (fn. 5) Martinsley was apparently conveyed to Thomas Cromwell in the grant of Oakham in 1538, (fn. 6) but Alstoe and East Hundreds appear to have been retained by the Crown. The Crown still holds them.
Separate views of frankpledge in Alstoe Hundred were claimed in 1286 by Hugh Hussey in Thistleton, by Gilbert de Umfraville in Market Overton, by Bernard de Brus in Exton, by Patrick le Fleming and Isabella, his wife, in Whissendine, and by Thomas Tuchet in Ashwell. (fn. 7)