A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1935.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE SOKE OF OAKHAM
Until the 15th century Oakham Soke was included in Martinsley Hundred. From an early date, however, it had its separate jurisdiction, which arose no doubt on account of its connexion with the Saxon royal house, as dower land of Saxon queens down to Edith, queen of Edward the Confessor. In 1428 the two hundreds were called the Hundred of Oakham with Martinsley, but by 1684 the Soke had been separated from Martinsley Hundred. The descent of the Soke has been traced under Oakham Barony (q.v.), and Mr. Wilfred Henry Finch is now owner. The court of the Soke was apparently held at the Castle.