A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1935.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF MARTINSLEY
Martinsley Hundred takes its name from a piece of land so called, in the parish of Martinsthorpe which Anthony Cope claimed in 1536 as late parcel of the possessions of the priory of Brooke. (fn. 1) The hundred court was probably held here on the high land between the rivers Gwash and Chater. In 1086 Martinsley Hundred comprised only the manors of Oakham, Hambleton and Ridlington, but Braunston, Edith Weston, Lyndon, Manton, Martinsthorpe, Normanton and probably Uppingham were the seven berewicks or outlying hamlets of Hambleton mentioned in the Domesday Survey, (fn. 2) and Ayston and Wing were then included in Ridlington. In 1428 Martinsley and Oakham still formed one hundred under the name of the Hundred of Oakham with Martinsley, (fn. 3) and Martinsley Hundred has passed with Oakham Barony (q.v.) to Mr. Wilfred Henry Finch, the present owner.
Separate views of frankpledge in Martinsley Hundred were claimed in 1286 by the Abbot of Westminster in Oakham and Barleythorpe, (fn. 4) and by the Hospitallers in Whitwell, Gunthorpe, Martinsthorpe, Bernards-hill, and Uppingham.