A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 10, Munslow Hundred (Part), the Liberty and Borough of Wenlock. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1998.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Eaton-under-Heywood parish lies in Ape Dale, dominated scenically by the wooded limestone scarp of Wenlock Edge. It is considerably smaller than it was in the early 19th century when it extended to 6,281 a. (2,542 ha.) (fn. 1) including a substantial detachment (1,496 a., 605 ha.) 4 km. to the north-east, which comprised Longville, Lushcott, and part of East Wall, treated separately. (fn. 2) The main part of the early 19th-century parish, treated here, comprised the townships of Eaton (including Harton and Wolverton), Hatton, and Ticklerton, and that which consisted of Upper Millichope and Hungerford, (fn. 3) hamlets beyond Wenlock Edge. Upper Millichope was excluded from Munslow parish c. 1115, an act which evidently led to its being united parochially to the Domesday manor of Ticklerton to form what became Eaton parish. (fn. 4) In 1883 the part of Topley hill that was a detachment of Lower Millichope (in Munslow parish), above Upper Millichope and Hungerford, was absorbed into Eaton civil parish, (fn. 5) but in 1967 Hungerford and Upper Millichope, with Topley hill, were transferred to Munslow C.P. (fn. 6) In 1987 Stone House farm and adjoining fields at Soudley were transferred to Hope Bowdler C.P. (fn. 7)
Before c. 1115 the main part of Ticklerton manor formed a 4-km.-long section of Ape Dale, bounded on the south-east by the crest of Wenlock Edge (c. 280 m.) and to the north-west by ground rising from the boulder clay drift of Ape Dale across mudstones, sandstones, and flagstones of the Llandovery and Caradoc Series towards Ragleth, Hazler, and Hope Bowdler hills. (fn. 8) Eaton's south-western boundary, with Acton Scott, was Mar (or Marsh) brook. (fn. 9) Minor streams also formed much of its north-eastern boundary, with Rushbury. When the parish boundary was defined on open ground is mostly unknown, though at Soudley it was perhaps in the earlier 13th century. (fn. 10) The hamlets of Eaton and Wolverton stand on a stream along the foot of Wenlock Edge, known as Eaton brook. (fn. 11) or, formerly, Stree or Straw brook; (fn. 12) Harton stands near the brook but on higher ground which deflects its course. (fn. 13) That is the lowest land in the parish (c. 150 m.). (fn. 14) Clay brook, a tributary mentioned in 1756, gave its name to a farm. (fn. 15) Township boundaries, where known, mostly follow field edges. (fn. 16) That between Hatton and Ticklerton was fixed by 1237. (fn. 17)
The township including Upper Millichope and Hungerford is mainly on high ground (Topley hill reaching 300 m.) formed by Aymestry Group limestones rising between Hope Dale to the north-west and Corve Dale to the south-east. Hungerford hamlet is in Corve Dale just north of the Corve, while Upper Millichope is on a tributary of the Corve and a route between the two dales. (fn. 18) The part of Topley hill that was a detachment of Munslow parish until 1883 was presumably a share of the hill's common assigned to Lower Millichope after the two Millichope estates became distinct in the 12th century. (fn. 19)
The parish's 19th-century roads, all local and many bad, presumably represented old routes. (fn. 20) A road from the church to Upper Millichope climbed over Wenlock Edge in 1839, (fn. 21) but in 1882 its route above the Edge was represented only by nearby footpaths and sections of the abandoned trackway. (fn. 22) In 1765 the road to the Blackwood lime kilns from Wall under Heywood, via Rushbury, was turnpiked. (fn. 23) It was disturnpiked in 1875. (fn. 24) The road from Marshbrook, via Hatton and Ticklerton, to Wall's Bank was turnpiked under an Act of 1822; (fn. 25) a tollhouse was built at Birtley after 1842 (fn. 26) and the road was disturnpiked in 1878. (fn. 27)
The Wenlock Railway Co.'s line from Buildwas to Craven Arms was opened across the parish in 1867. Harton (from 1881 Harton Road) station was open from 1867 to 1951, when the line south of Longville was closed. (fn. 28)
A polished Neolithic axe fragment from near Claybrook Farm (fn. 29) and possibly an enclosure near Upper Millichope (fn. 30) provide evidence of early man. A Roman villa with a mosaic floor was said in the 1830s to have been found at Hatton c. 1790. (fn. 31)
Ticklerton, as early forms of its name (e.g. 'Tikelewordin', 1221) reveal, was an enclosed settlement. (fn. 32) Though the name may not be earlier than the 8th century, (fn. 33) it was perhaps the area's primary settlement, still in 1086 the manorial vill, where a population of 16 was recorded. (fn. 34) It was fairly central to the priory's large manor, but Wenlock's acquisition of Millichope (1086 × 1094) and the confirmation of the priory's parochial rights over Upper Millichope (c. 1115) made Eaton more central to those estates and so perhaps the most eligible location for the church of a parish of widely scattered hamlets. (fn. 35) Ticklerton remained one of the parish's two larger settlements. The other four settlements in Ape Dale have the tun suffix and were probably named in the late Saxon period. In 1244 there were perhaps 11 households at Hatton, (fn. 36) and 12 free tenants were recorded there in the earlier 14th century. (fn. 37) In 1327 subsidy was paid by 17 in Eaton and 12 in Millichope, (fn. 38) and the parish's medieval population may have been substantial: each hamlet seems to have had open fields and access to extensive wood-pasture. (fn. 39) In the 16th century there may have been c. 10 houses at both Ticklerton and Hatton, and 5 each at Eaton, Harton, Wolverton, Upper Millichope, and Hungerford. (fn. 40) By 1544 there were houses at Birtley, west of Ticklerton. (fn. 41)
By the early 17th century the parish population was rising, and there were cottages in Hay wood. (fn. 42) The Protestation of 1642 was taken by 19 men from Hay wood and 6 from Soudley, a squatter settlement at its west end; 13 from Ticklerton took it, 9 each from Harton, Upper Millichope, and Hungerford, 8 from Hatton, 5 from Eaton, 4 from Wolverton, and 3 from New Hall. (fn. 43) In 1672 hearth tax was paid on 19 houses in Ticklerton (many of the 13 single-hearth dwellings presumably being Hay wood squatters' cottages), 10 houses in Eaton (probably including Harton, New Hall, and Wolverton), 4 in Hatton, and 15 in Hungerford and Millichope (Upper and Lower). (fn. 44) The numbers of adults and households in 1676 are comparable: 75 adults in 30 households in Ticklerton, 63 in 16 households in Eaton, Harton, Hatton, New Hall, and Wolverton, and 34 in 13 households in Hungerford and Upper Millichope. (fn. 45)
Upper Millichope Lodge is an exceptionally strong later 13th-century block perhaps built as a forester's lodge. Apart from that the parish's medieval buildings were probably timber framed. At least two late medieval houses, Lower Farm, Hatton, and Wolverton Manor, remain largely intact, and others retain some elements. Much 16th- and 17th-century timber framing survives, some cased in the local rubble stone used increasingly for building from the 18th century. Brick may not have been used until c. 1700 when it was employed in new wings and casing work at, for instance, Ticklerton Hall and Harton Manor. (fn. 46) When Millichope Court (later Upper Millichope Farm) was rebuilt c. 1730 it was stone that was used save for the façade (oddly facing away from the road), which was brick. As late as the mid 19th century stone was the usual material for cottages, such as Birtley tollhouse.
In 1793 there were said to be 35 farmhouses, 29 small tenements, and 35 cottages in the parish. (fn. 47) Most cottages were at Soudley and Hay wood, (fn. 48) although by c. 1730 there were also some around Black wood. (fn. 49) The parish's 19th-century population level was c. 550 until the 1870s when a steady decline began, to 328 in 1901 and 123 in 1961. (fn. 50) Much of the decline came as cottages were abandoned. A few small outlying farms were built in the mid to late 19th century, including Hattongrove Farm, the Saplings, and Whitefields Farm (originally called Eatonglebe), (fn. 51) but there was little new building in the parish in the 20th century. At Ticklerton Jacintha Buddicom designed Meadowbrook (built 1936-7) in a Tudor style for her aunt Lilian Hayward. (fn. 52) Four properties in Ticklerton were privately supplied with spring water by 1946 (fn. 53) and c. 1952 two pairs of council houses were built there. (fn. 54) Several barns at Ticklerton were being converted into houses in 1990.
In the 18th century Eaton wake was on the Sunday after 15 August. (fn. 55) In 1793 there was no alehouse in the parish, although two or three houses that sold bread and cheese gave ale into the bargain. (fn. 56) The Blue Bell in Hatton was open c. 1830-60; (fn. 57) the Horseshoes and the Mason's Arms, both in Ticklerton, were open in the 1850s and the 1860s and 1870s respectively; the Pheasant, Birtley, was open c. 1850-80; (fn. 58) and the Buck's Head, Hungerford, was open by 1842 and closed c. 1957. (fn. 59) There were also beer sellers at Ticklerton in the later 19th century. (fn. 60)
In the 1790s some parishioners belonged to a benefit club at Condover, c. 20 km. away. (fn. 61) The county library opened a book centre in the parish in 1933, (fn. 62) and there was a village hall at Ticklerton by 1953. (fn. 63)
The writer George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair, 1903-50) spent some boyhood holidays at Ticklerton Court. (fn. 64)
MANORS AND OTHER ESTATES.
In 1066 the large manor of TICKLERTON, later EATON-UNDER-HEYWOOD, belonged to the church of Wenlock. (fn. 65) By 1255 Eaton, where there was a church by the 12th century, had replaced Ticklerton as the centre of the manor, held in demesne by Wenlock priory. The manor then comprised Eaton, Harton, Longville, Lushcott, Ticklerton, and Wolverton. (fn. 66) The priory surrendered in 1540, (fn. 67) and in 1544 the Crown sold the manor to John Pakington of Hampton Lovett (Worcs.). (fn. 68)
Pakington (kt. c. 1545) died in 1560, having settled the manor on his daughter and son-in-law Bridget and John Lyttelton (fn. 69) of Frankley (Worcs.). In 1562 Lyttelton and his son Gilbert sold Eaton to Richard Lutley (d. 1584). (fn. 70) Lutley's son John died in 1589 and the manor passed to John's sister Margaret, wife of George Jenkes, lord of Wolverton. (fn. 71) In 1600 George settled Eaton on his son Francis (d. 1627). (fn. 72) The manor then passed from father to son to Herbert (d. 1654), and Herbert (fl. 1696). The last named was a lunatic, whose heir was his brother Francis (fl. 1703). (fn. 73) Francis had three daughters, of whom Frances (fl. 1712), wife of Roger Williams, seems to have succeeded to Eaton. The couple were childless, and Eaton passed to Frances's cousin Philip Lutley. (fn. 74) Lutley (d. 1731) was succeeded by his son Jenkes (d. 1745) and Jenkes by his brother Bartholomew (d. 1783), who had assumed the surname Barneby in 1735 on his grandfather's death. (fn. 75) Bartholomew's son John Barneby sold the manor in 1789 to William Wainwright, who sold it in 1793 to Sir Jacob Wolff. Wolff sold it to Robert Bent in 1801, and in 1806 Bent was bankrupt and it was sold to John Beck. (fn. 76) Beck died in 1821 leaving his Eaton estate to his sister Maria, wife of the Shrewsbury banker John Eaton. She died in 1841, leaving the 640-a. property in trust for her daughters. Their trustees sold the property in the mid 1850s to W. H. Sparrow; the lordship then descended in his family (fn. 77) to A. B. H. Hanbury-Sparrow (d. 1936) of All Stretton. (fn. 78) His son Lt.-Col. A. A. H. Hanbury-Sparrow sold it in 1951 to C. E. Edwards of Mount Seifton (in Culmington). Soon after Edwards's death in 1954 (fn. 79) it was bought from his representatives by the Revd. G. S. Hewins of Silvington, on whose death in 1975 it passed to his widow (fn. 80) Elsie V. Hewins. (fn. 81)
Eaton Manor is a late 18th-century brick farmhouse south-west of the church. (fn. 82) It may occupy the site of the medieval demesne farm.
New Hall, mid way between Eaton and Harton, was probably built in the 1590s for Francis Jenkes (d. 1627), later lord of Eaton and Wolverton manors. (fn. 83) It was later his son's home and possibly also his grandson's. (fn. 84) With its 191-a. farm it descended with Eaton manor until 1910 or later. (fn. 85)
New Hall, a large H shaped building of two storeys, is box framed but largely cased in brick. It may originally have had a smoke bay. In the main chamber a hunting scene of c. 1600 survives from more extensive wall painting. (fn. 86)
From the 17th century the Pinches family built up a considerable estate centred on TICKLERTON COURT. Thomas Lewes (fl. 1514) was succeeded in a Ticklerton property by his son John (fl. 1550), and he by his son Thomas. Thomas (d. 1598) bought a 174-a. farm from the Lytteltons in 1564, and in 1571 he settled the property on his daughter Margaret and her husband Fulk Pinches, son of John Pinches of Plaish (in Cardington). (fn. 87) Fulk and Margaret's son Richard died in 1639 (fn. 88) and in 1674 his son William bought the grain tithes of his own property and others from Edward Palmer. (fn. 89) The estate then descended in the Pinches family, the following being owners: William's son Richard, Richard's son William (d. 1752), William's grandson William (d. 1818), and that William's son William (d. unmarried 1849). (fn. 90) The last named was a founder of the United Hunt and a keen naturalist, owner of what was then perhaps the finest specimen of the great auk. He was succeeded by his sister Elizabeth (d. 1859), second wife of the Revd. R. J. Buddicom, who succeeded her. In 1894 Buddicom (d. 1895) made over his Ticklerton property to his son W. S. Buddicom (d. 1922), who left it to his children R. A. Buddicom and Mrs. Lilian Hayward, (fn. 91) writers on the natural history of the area and local antiquarian matters. (fn. 92) In 1953 Mrs. Hayward and her nephew R. P. G. Buddicom sold the 1,147-a. Ticklerton estate to the Mercantile & General Reinsurance Co. Ltd. (fn. 93) About the same time Ticklerton Hall and Mount Flirt farms were sold to their tenants. (fn. 94) In 1988 653 a. of the Ticklerton estate, comprising Upper and Lower House farms, were sold to March Border Ltd. (fn. 95)
The late 16th-century Ticklerton Court was largely incorporated in 1824 in a three storeyed stone house with a hipped roof. The top storey was removed c. 1953. (fn. 96)
In the late 18th and early 19th century the Pinches family added to their Ticklerton estate properties formerly the Oxenbolds', the Barnebys', and William Cheney Hart's. Later, in the 19th and 20th centuries, their successors the Buddicoms added lands formerly owned by the Corfields and the Sparrows.
William Oxenbold had property at Ticklerton in 1514-15 (fn. 97) as did he or a namesake in 1550. (fn. 98) Richard Oxenbold (d. 1589) enlarged the family holding by purchase from Richard Acton and his son Edward in 1585, the Actons having bought land from the Lytteltons in 1564. Richard Oxenbold was survived by his wife Alice and infant son Philip. (fn. 99) In 1704 Thomas Oxenbold, perhaps the man of that name who died in 1717, had what was presumably the estate enjoyed by earlier Oxenbolds. Thomas's son John (d. 1725) married Mary Meredith (d. 1769), (fn. 100) and when their son Richard died in 1798 the estate went to his brother's daughters Elizabeth Cook, Jane Nickson, and Mary Pinches. They sold their thirds in 1802 and 1805 to Robert Bent. (fn. 101) The Oxenbolds' farm, known by 1802 as UPPER HOUSE farm, (fn. 102) was bought in 1807 by William Pinches after Bent's bankruptcy. (fn. 103) It then descended with the Pinches family's Ticklerton estate. (fn. 104) Upper House Farm is a stone building of the 17th century and 1724. (fn. 105)
In 1576 Richard Lutley, lord of the manor of Eaton-under-Heywood, bought two farms in Ticklerton and associated tithes from the Crown. (fn. 106) In 1698 his descendants Sarah and Frances Jenkes sold part of that property to Richard Ward of Harton. (fn. 107) In 1712 Frances (Mrs. Williams) gave more of it to augment the living of Eaton-under-Heywood. (fn. 108) The family apparently retained property in Ticklerton, for in the late 18th century their descendants the Barnebys (fn. 109) owned properties, including their tithes, of 374 a. (principally the later LOWER HOUSE farm), 86 a., and 4 a. centred on the township. (fn. 110) John Barneby sold them in 1787 to the brothers William and Richard Pinches and their uncle Richard Oxenbold. (fn. 111) Richard Pinches (d. 1789) (fn. 112) left his share to his brother. Richard Oxenbold (d. 1798) left his to four nieces, and William Pinches bought three of their shares in 1799 and 1801; the fourth was left to his son William by the other niece Elizabeth Pinches (d. 1822) of Harton. (fn. 113) The reunited property then descended with the rest of the Pinches' Ticklerton estate. (fn. 114) Lower House Farm is a stone building of the later 16th and the 17th century. (fn. 115)
William Cheney Hart (d. 1819) owned 217 a. in Ticklerton comprising the Claybrook, Common, and Hollies farms, and the northern part of the later Upper House farm, all with tithes. In 1834 William Pinches bought the property, which then descended with his Ticklerton estate. (fn. 116)
In 1706 Thomas Bright of Little Stretton and his son Thomas settled an estate in Ticklerton on the marriage of the elder Thomas's daughter Mary to John Corfield of Whittingslow (in Wistanstow). (fn. 117) A branch of the Corfields had held land in Ticklerton in the 16th century. (fn. 118) That property, then comprising a farm in Ticklerton and 60 a. in several parcels, was owned in the late 18th century by Thomas Corfield and later by his son Thomas (d. 1815). (fn. 119) In 1841 John Griffiths had it. (fn. 120) Later the farm was split up, and the Revd. R. J. Buddicom bought some of it, though not the farmhouse, (fn. 121) Bank House, which stands west of Ticklerton Court. (fn. 122)
William Palmer held land in Ticklerton in 1551 (fn. 123) and in 1563 bought the freehold from the Lytteltons. (fn. 124) Palmer or a namesake died in 1593, succeeded by a son Henry (d. 1597), whose relict Alice (d. 1633) was succeeded by their son Lancelot. (fn. 125) The estate may have passed to Edward Palmer (d. 1677). (fn. 126) Thomas Palmer (d. 1732) was followed by his son William (d. 1777). (fn. 127) The TICKLERTON HALL estate was sold c. 1778 to William Dyke, who sold it c. 1801 to Robert Bent. (fn. 128) In 1807 the 273-a. property was sold to Edward Downes. Downes's son Edward had it in 1842 but later sold it to a Mr. Dayus, probably Samuel Dayus of Longnor. In 1864 Dayus's grandsons, called Pryce, sold it to W. H. Sparrow, (fn. 129) lord of Eaton-under-Heywood, whose grandson A. B. H. Hanbury-Sparrow owned it in 1910. (fn. 130) It later passed to the Buddicoms and R. P. G. Buddicom kept it when the Ticklerton estate was sold in 1953. (fn. 131)
Ticklerton Hall, containing close studding of c. 1500, was enlarged c. 1580 and again c. 1660 to an H plan. It was cased in brick c. 1700 when perhaps the east wing was added. (fn. 132) The adjoining farm buildings are of c. 1800. (fn. 133)
HARTON was presumably part of Eaton-under-Heywood manor. (fn. 134) Edward Ward was a priory tenant there in 1514-15 (fn. 135) and John Ward in 1538 and 1550. (fn. 136) John's son Edward bought the freehold from the Lytteltons in 1564. Harton then descended in the Ward family, and one of their two messuages in 1691 may have been that bought from the Crown by Richard English in 1586. Ann, née Ward, married Thomas Smith (fl. 1791-1819) of Bircher (Herefs.), (fn. 137) and their daughter Anne married Thomas Dunne of Gatley, who owned 412 a. there in 1842. (fn. 138) In the later 19th and early 20th century Harton formed part of the Warren family settled estate, (fn. 139) split up and sold after J. Loxdale Warren's death in 1909. (fn. 140)
Upper House and Lower House farms, presumably the Wards' two messuages of 1691, were mentioned in 1791 (fn. 141) and are represented by two substantial timber framed farmhouses. Harton Manor comprises a hall and contemporary cross wing, evidently built by Richard Ward in 1615, (fn. 142) to which a brick parlour range on a stone plinth was added c. 1700. Harton Farm is a late 16th- or early 17th-century T shaped building on a stone plinth. (fn. 143)
An estate in HATTON was granted 1196 × 1215 by the prior of Wenlock to Robert of Hatton, (fn. 144) the name of one or more men who held the estate in 1227, 1237, and 1255. (fn. 145) In 1272 Robert of Hatton conveyed the manor to Malcolm of Harley (d. c. 1298). (fn. 146) Malcolm's brother Richard of Harley had it by 1302 (fn. 147) and it descended with Harley. (fn. 148) In 1377 Joan of Harley settled the manor on William of Ightfield and Agnes his mother (fn. 149) and in 1380 on Roger of Ightfield, described as Joan's son and heir, (fn. 150) but by 1398 Joan and her husband John Darras were in possession. (fn. 151) About 1616 Sir Francis Lacon conveyed the manor, with Gretton (in Cardington and Rushbury), to Isaac and Edward Jones. (fn. 152) Edward Jones (d. 1648) (fn. 153) still had property in Hatton in 1645. (fn. 154)
The manor's descent over the next 150 years is unknown. Possibly the Hamonds were lords: a farm owned by Vincent Hamond (d. 1718) was bought by Thomas Powell of Bridgnorth, and he or his son Richard, rector of Munslow, was described as lord of Hatton and owner of 220 a. there in 1793. Thomas Powell may, however, have bought the lordship with Lower farm, reputedly once called the Manor. After Richard's death in 1806 the lordship was said to be his widow Elizabeth's. It afterwards descended in the Powell family from father to son, rectors of Munslow, until 1912 or later. (fn. 155) Later it was part of the Acton Scott estate until sold in 1921. (fn. 156)
In the mid 19th century the Powells had two farmhouses in Hatton. One, a 2½ storeyed T shaped stone building, was built in 1679, probably by Vincent Hamond, and was later at times a poor house and the Blue Bell public house. (fn. 157) The other was Lower Farm, whose earliest feature is a pair of late medieval cruck blades, which were once the central truss of an open hall. In the late 15th century those timbers were re-used in their present position as the arch-braced collar of an open hall. In the mid to late 16th century the house was rebuilt as a timber framed hall range of 1½ storey with a cross wing. It was cased in stone c. 1800, and in the 19th century there was some internal reorganization. (fn. 158)
In 1635 Richard Wrednall, rector of Rushbury, bought a farm in Hatton from Edward Jones, lord of Hatton. (fn. 159) In 1681 Richard Wrednall of Downton (Herefs.) sold it to Bernard Hamond (d. 1736), a Ludlow apothecary. (fn. 160) Hamond's nephew John, a Somerset parson, sold the farm in 1753 to Edward Acton of Acton Scott. (fn. 161) In 1753 Acton bought a second farm in Hatton, formerly the Botfields' and the Baldwins'. (fn. 162) Both farms (c. 330 a. in all) descended with Acton Scott manor until sold c. 1960. (fn. 163) One of them had as its house Upper Farm, a two storeyed L shaped building. (fn. 164) Remains of a cruck framed truss indicate a late medieval core to a building refurbished in the early 17th century, with a house-place whose timbers displayed high quality detailing. A wing was added in the late 17th century, and the house was later cased in stone. (fn. 165) The farm buildings include a 10 bayed 17th-century barn with upper crucks and boxframed trusses, and a stone stable built by Edward Acton c. 1761. The other farmhouse, at the west end of the hamlet, was probably rebuilt in the 19th century.
In 1874 Augustus Wood of Acton Scott bought a 99-a. farm (fn. 166) which remained part of the Acton Scott estate until c. 1960. (fn. 167) Middle Farm is a mid 17th-century timber building later cased in stone.
In 1576 John and William Mershe, Londoners, bought land in Hatton once the Hospitallers'. (fn. 168)
WOLVERTON, part of Eaton-under-Heywood manor, (fn. 169) was subinfeudated by the prior of Wenlock before 1255, when John of Westhope was lord. (fn. 170) In 1623 the Jenkes family, for long lords of Wolverton, traced their ancestry back several generations before John ap Rees, or le Cambray (fl. 1323-4), the first head of the family said to be of Wolverton. (fn. 171) From his descendant Jenkyn Cambray (fl. 1400) son followed father, the following being lords: John Jenkes, Thomas Jenkes, John Jenkes, Rowland Jenkes (fl. 1497- 1521), (fn. 172) John Jenkes, Thomas Jenkes, George Jenkes (fl. 1570-1600, granted arms 1584), Francis Jenkes (d. 1627), (fn. 173) and Herbert Jenkes (d. 1654). Wolverton apparently passed to Herbert Jenkes's daughter Margaret (d. 1674), who married Bartholomew Lutley (sheriff 1706, (fn. 174) d. 1716). The Lutleys' son Philip, next lord, also became lord of Eaton-under-Heywood, and the two manors descended together until the 1780s when John Barneby sold Wolverton to Peter Beck. Beck (d. 1798) was succeeded by his son Peter (d. 1824), a Shrewsbury banker, whose widow Hannah (d. 1859) had the 306-a. Wolverton farm in 1842. (fn. 175) In the later 19th and early 20th century Wolverton was part of the Warren family's settled estate, (fn. 176) which was split up and sold off after J. Loxdale Warren's death in 1909. (fn. 177)
Wolverton Manor comprises a long hall range of c. 1475 with an originally detached cross wing of c. 1581 at the south end. The two bayed open hall, separated by a screens passage from a two bayed service unit at its north end and possibly with a solar over the service end, may have been built against an existing structure later demolished. The hall employs two-tier crucks and has a spere truss whose aisle posts and other elements are moulded and trefoiled. In the later 16th century, when the cross wing was built, the hall's lower bay was converted to a smoke bay and a moulded ceiling was inserted in the hall's upper bay. About 1600 a link was built between hall and cross wing and a cellar was excavated beneath the cross wing. A stack was built in the smoke bay c. 1660, there was some reflooring, and a bay was added to the north end of the hall range. (fn. 178)
Gamel, a free man, held MILLICHOPE in 1066. In 1086 Helgot held it of Roger of Montgomery, earl of Shrewsbury (d. 1094), the tenant in chief, (fn. 179) who soon afterwards gave the manor to Wenlock priory. (fn. 180) Upper and Lower Millichope were separated parochially c. 1115 when Richard of Beaumais, justiciar of Shropshire, dismissed a claim that both Millichopes were in Munslow parish; his ruling assigned Lower Millichope to Munslow parish and confirmed Wenlock priory's parochial rights over Upper Millichope. Beaumais' reference to the 'two Millichopes' may indicate that already by c. 1115 they had been separately subinfeudated by the prior of Wenlock; (fn. 181) they evidently had by c. 1200, and each continued to be held of the priory until its surrender in 1540. (fn. 182)
The terre tenants of UPPER MILLICHOPE also held in fee the office of royal forester of the Long Forest. Thomas of Millichope (fl. 1169- 76) was perhaps the predecessor of Roger of Millichope, who succeeded his father as forester in 1199. Roger or a namesake (alias Roger Tosty) appears in the 1220s and died c. 1243. His daughter married Thomas de la Mare (fl. 1267), lord of Upper Millichope in 1255. Roger de la Mare was lord in 1300, Edmund de la Mare in 1316, and Roger de la Mare in 1322 and 1327. (fn. 183) By 1344 the manor had passed to Walter de Beysin, (fn. 184) and it descended with his share of Broseley (fn. 185) until 1534 when John Harewell's daughters divided their inheritance, Upper Millichope going to John Smith's wife Agnes. (fn. 186) From 1542 Upper Millichope descended with Sir John Smith's Aston estate until 1896 when E. C. Wright sold Upper Millichope to Capt. H. J. Beckwith. (fn. 187) Beckwith had 761 a. in the parish, mainly at Upper Millichope, in 1910 (fn. 188) and remained a principal landowner until c. 1930. (fn. 189)
Upper Millichope Lodge is a stone building, apparently of the later 13th century, c. 10.4 by c. 5.5 m. internally, and with walls 2 m. thick. It has been suggested that it was built as a forester's lodge. It has a fine, well lit room on the first floor, above a basement lit by loops, which may have been the forester's prison. The original entrance to the first-floor room, probably his solar, was in the south gable wall. A two-light window, apparently original, with seats in the internal splays, survives in the north end of the room and a mutilated one in the east wall. Access to the basement was down a spiral stair in the south-west corner of the room. The building was substantially refurbished in the early 17th century when it was reroofed and partly refenestrated, a new staircase and a screen in the first-floor room were introduced, and a chimney was built on the east wall. The joists supporting the first floor, though massive and close set, are of c. 1633. It was perhaps also then that the first-floor entrance was blocked and a door made into the basement. The door head has re-used voussoirs carved with 14th-century ballflower ornament. (fn. 190) From the 17th century the basement served as the kitchen of the adjoining farmhouse, Millichope Court, rebuilt c. 1730. (fn. 191)
HUNGERFORD was presumably part of the Domesday manor of Millichope and was later reckoned a member of Upper Millichope. (fn. 192) Part or all of Hungerford (occasionally described as a manor) descended with Upper Millichope (fn. 193) and the Wrights apparently retained the lordship of Hungerford manor (unrecorded after the early 19th century) (fn. 194) after John Wright (d. 1792) sold his land there to Humphrey Wainwright (d. 1801). Wainwright's son William (d. 1829) was succeeded by his son, also William. In 1837 William Wainwright sold the 158-a. Hungerford estate to the Revd. R. N. Pemberton (fn. 195) of Millichope Park (in Munslow), whose family had had land at Hungerford since 1792 or earlier (fn. 196) and who had 194 a. there in 1842. (fn. 197) Those lands presumably formed a part of the Millichope Park sale of 1896 to Capt. H. J. Beckwith, principal or sole landowner at Hungerford in 1910. (fn. 198) The chief house at Hungerford, called Holloway (or the 'hall of Hungerford'), and a second substantial property, Muxhill, were in Munslow parish. (fn. 199)
In 1576 the Crown sold land in Hungerford once the Hospitallers' to John Dudley and John Ayscough. (fn. 200)
The RECTORY, appropriated to Wenlock priory, was worth £10 in 1291. (fn. 201) In 1495-6 the priory kitchen received £14 6s. 4d. in tithes from Eaton, Hatton, Millichope and Hungerford, Longville, and Lushcott. (fn. 202) In 1544 the Crown's sale of property in Eaton to John Pakington included some, perhaps most, of the parish's grain tithes. (fn. 203) The Lytteltons sold the grain tithes from 1,000 a. in Eaton and Upper Millichope, and perhaps other townships too, with the manor of Eaton to Richard Lutley in 1562. (fn. 204) Apart from some Ticklerton grain tithes, sold by Francis Jenkes in 1596, (fn. 205) those tithes descended intact with Eaton manor. (fn. 206)
The Lytteltons sold another large portion of the rectory to Richard Acton of Acton Scott in 1566. (fn. 207) On Acton's death in 1590 he owned half of the grain tithes of Eaton, Hatton, Harton, Ticklerton, and Wolverton townships, (fn. 208) although some tithes in Harton had already been disposed of. (fn. 209) In 1594 his son Edward Acton leased his tithes of Hatton to Thomas Chelmick for 1,000 years. (fn. 210) The lease later passed to the Wrednalls, owners of a farm there, with which it descended. (fn. 211)
The grain tithes of Upper Millichope and Hungerford were owned in the later 17th century by William Churchman of Thonglands (in Munslow). In 1722 his descendant James Tomkins sold them to Arthur Weaver of Bridgnorth. (fn. 212)
In 1842 most of the impropriate tithes were merged with their owners' land. The rest, payable to 12 impropriators, were commuted to £112 2s. 4d. (fn. 213)
In 1086 the 10 hides of Ticklerton manor (corresponding to Eatonunder-Heywood parish north-west of Wenlock Edge) were relatively undeveloped: the tenants had five ploughteams and the lord one, but six more might have been employed. There were 6 villani, 6 bordars, 3 servi, and a radman in the manor, whose value, 50s., had halved since 1066. (fn. 214)
Eaton manorial demesne comprised 1 carucate and 2 a. meadow in 1369. (fn. 215) In 1237 the prior claimed, though unsuccessfully, a day's hay carrying from 10 men in respect of 1½ hide at Hatton. (fn. 216) In the 13th and 14th centuries tenants paid terciary to their lord, the prior of Wenlock. (fn. 217) The parish was probably affected by the economic setbacks of the early 14th century: in 1341 the small value of the tax collected was blamed on sheep murrain, storm damage to crops, and the abandonment of eight holdings. (fn. 218) In Hatton the demesne was farmed out and the rest was leased to free tenants for cash rents. (fn. 219)
Most hamlets probably had their own openfield land in the Middle Ages. Best recorded is Wolverton's, apparently in three fields: the Bruche field, probably also known as Marsh field, north and north-west of the hamlet, (fn. 220) Feltbatch (Feldbatch) field to the north-east, and the field under the Edge (or wood) to the south-east. (fn. 221) Some at least of Harton's open-field land lay east of that hamlet, (fn. 222) and field names suggest a west field too; (fn. 223) some may also have lain north of Eaton brook. (fn. 224) Some of Eaton's open-field land lay at the foot of the Edge (fn. 225) and some north-west of the hamlet, off the Ticklerton road. (fn. 226) The fields of Millichope were mentioned in 1256; (fn. 227) there were furlongs north and probably east of Upper Millichope (fn. 228) Hungerford too had open-field land, north of the hamlet. (fn. 229) Hatton's fields lay east (fn. 230) and south (fn. 231) of it, and Ticklerton's probably both north and north-west of it (fn. 232) and to the south. (fn. 233)
In 1086 there was enough woodland for 60 swine. (fn. 234) The parish was in the Long forest until 1301 (fn. 235) and there were two main areas of medieval woodland, neither of them in Hatton where the Harleys were granted free warren in 1302 and 1318. (fn. 236) One of the main wooded areas was along Wenlock Edge. In the 16th century, and probably for centuries before, the Edge wood was divided between the adjoining vills. Belonging to Eaton were Black wood (fn. 237) to the north-east and High wood, running south-west from the hamlet for c. 2 km.; (fn. 238) the latter was well warded in 1235. (fn. 239) Those woods, together with Longville wood and Hay wood, (fn. 240) remained part of the priory demesne in the later Middle Ages, the office of bailiff sometimes being farmed to the manorial lessee. (fn. 241) Black wood was at least partly inclosed in 1632. (fn. 242) South-west of High wood were Harton's wood and Wolverton's. The former, then called Harton's Edge, was inclosed by 1563. (fn. 243) In the later 18th and early 19th century Harton's wood, which was probably typical of the Wenlock Edge woods in the parish, was coppiced. Cord wood went to Bringewood forge (Herefs.), William Hazeldine's Shrewsbury ironworks, and Liverpool; bark went to Much Wenlock and huge numbers of faggots to local customers. Standards were left at 60 to the acre. (fn. 244) In the late 20th century conifers were fairly abundant in the plantations beneath the Edge, north-east from Harton wood to Stars coppice, and in Blackwood coppice and Childshill coppice near Upper Millichope. (fn. 245)
The other main area of medieval woodland was Hay wood, its name used to distinguish Eaton; it lay north of Ticklerton, its eastern part in Rushbury parish. (fn. 246) In 1235 the part in Eaton had oak and hazel but no underwood. (fn. 247) In Eaton parish the eastern end of Hay wood probably once extended south of its 19th-century limit, over land later occupied by Claybrook and Bentalls farms. (fn. 248) West of, and integral with, Hay wood was 'Suthleye' wood, (fn. 249) later Soudley common. By the mid 13th century there was assarting in the parish and goats were excluded from the commons. (fn. 250) In 1698 a farm at Ticklerton had a stint, in Hay wood and Soudley common, of 6 beasts, 6 pigs, and 20 sheep. (fn. 251)
In the early 16th century, when part of Hay wood in Rushbury was inclosed, common rights were claimed for vills in Eaton, Rushbury, Cardington, Hope Bowdler, Church Stretton, Hughley, and Church Preen parishes. (fn. 252) Parts of Soudley common and Hay wood were allotted c. 1563 in severalty to freeholders of Ticklerton and Chelmick (in Hope Bowdler), the latter in respect of part of Soudley. By the later 17th century little wood may have survived and then, as a century later, the commons were probably open pasture for sheep and cattle. (fn. 253) Some inclosures made in the previous century were thrown open by agreement c. 1674 (fn. 254) and, while there were later inclosures and encroachments, (fn. 255) c. 300 a. remained open until Hay wood and Soudley common were inclosed, after long deliberation, in 1804. (fn. 256)
In the early Middle Ages the residue, at least, of a third large wood, 1 km. north to south by 2 km. east to west, divided Wolverton and Harton from Hatton. It extended south-east as far as the stream running from New Hall to Wolverton and south-west to an area called Espleys ('Aspen wood'), near the parish boundary. (fn. 257) Its northern boundary was marked by the north end of the later Ironmongers coppice, whence it probably extended into Ticklerton township as far as the Ticklerton-Harton road. With the wood was probably the heath where Hatton men were assarting in the earlier 14th century. (fn. 258) Clearance, however, may have begun much earlier, the name Hatton meaning a settlement on or near heath. (fn. 259) By 1531, when Hatton's heath was again recorded, (fn. 260) the remaining wood had probably been largely cleared and the resulting heath or pasture divided between Hatton, Harton, Ticklerton, and Wolverton. (fn. 261) Hatton also had a wood south-west of the hamlet, abutting the parish boundary (fn. 262) and surviving in part in 1989. Its hedges too supplied wood. (fn. 263)
Upper Millichope's woodland lay on the high ground west of Millichope Lodge. Childshill and the Spellers coppices, both surviving in 1989, were mentioned in 1761. (fn. 264) Hungerford's woodland included Rough wood, 1 km. north-west of the hamlet. (fn. 265) Adjoining to the west were Topley, a wooded detachment of Munslow parish, (fn. 266) and Topley common in Eaton parish. (fn. 267) Topley hill, until it was divided in that way, had probably been intercommoned by Upper and Lower Millichope.
In 1841 the woods were 'luxuriant'. Oak, hazel, ash, and hornbeam were said to grow well on the limestone and were cut at 10 to 15 years. Faggots had little value because of the costs and difficulties of carriage, but cordwood was burnt for charcoal and carried to forges near Bridgnorth. (fn. 268) Charcoal burning continued until the 1930s, and clogs were made. (fn. 269)
Inclosure of the open fields is unrecorded except at Harton, where it was done by agreement c. 1586. (fn. 270) The nature of the larger farms in the parish in the mid 17th century is indicated by the inventories of Edmund Philpott (d. 1664) of Eaton and Lawrence Palmer (d. 1666) of Ticklerton. Philpott owned 17 cattle worth £25 16s. 8d. and was storing butter and cheese worth £3. Other stock included 4 horses, 42 sheep, and 8 pigs. Crops were corn (£6), barley and peas (£2 10s.), and hemp and flax (3s. 4d.). Palmer had 6 oxen, 34 cattle, 6 horses, 8 sheep, 7 pigs, and corn worth £35. (fn. 271) In 1793 there were more rearing farms than arable in the parish. (fn. 272) Whitbach, an isolated top (or high) barn with cottage east of Topley, was probably built between 1817 and 1839 for Hungerford farm. (fn. 273) In 1841 wheat, oats, beans, and some rye and clover were said to be grown, although cultivation was 'precarious' where so much land was high, wet, and cold. Much of the higher grassland was used for young stock or as sheep walk. In several of the small valleys pasture was warmer, though liable to flood. (fn. 274) The percentage of farm land down to grass rose from 56 in 1842 to 91 in 1938; 79 per cent was still grass in 1965. Sheep were always the most numerous livestock. (fn. 275)
There were water mills at Eaton in the 13th and 14th centuries (fn. 276) and two in the parish in 1291. (fn. 277) In the 15th and 16th centuries there was one at Ticklerton, probably north-west of the hamlet. (fn. 278) A mill at Harton in the 14th and 16th centuries (fn. 279) was perhaps Clithes mill (1586), later called New Hall mill and last worked in 1925. (fn. 280) There was a medieval mill at Hatton (fn. 281) and probably one at Upper Millichope too. (fn. 282) There is said to have been a corn mill at Hungerford in the 19th century. (fn. 283) A windmill may have stood south of Ticklerton. (fn. 284)
Notable among several post-medieval fishponds were those at Soudley, from which, in the mid 18th century, fish were taken to a pool at Broncroft (in Diddlebury). Soudley pools were still stocked in the 20th century. (fn. 285)
In 1227 the prior of Wenlock was granted a Thursday market at Eaton; (fn. 286) no later evidence of it is known.
By the early 17th century and still in the 19th the Chatwall Sandstones were quarried near Soudley, supplying freestone and flags for roofs and floors. (fn. 287) Limestone was got and burnt at Blackwood north-west of Upper Millichope in the 18th and 19th centuries. (fn. 288) Bricks were probably made at Hatton c. 1607 (fn. 289) and in the 18th century, (fn. 290) and bricks and tiles were produced at Claybrook in the 1850s and perhaps early 1860s. (fn. 291) In 1765 B. R. Barneby engaged colliers to bore for coal at Ticklerton. (fn. 292)
In the mid 17th century there was at least one tanner and glover at Soudley. (fn. 293) Later a tannery stood south of Ticklerton, but it had gone by 1842. (fn. 294) There is said to have been a tan yard at Hungerford in the 19th century. (fn. 295)
The prior of Wenlock was holding three or four courts a year for Eaton c. 1237. (fn. 296) Court records survive for the 14th and 15th centuries, and that of a court held for Wolverton by the prior in 1334. (fn. 297) Record also survives of a court of recognition held for the Harewells' tenants in Upper Millichope and Hungerford in 1464. (fn. 298) In the 1750s and 1760s annual courts were held at Soudley for the Barnebys, lords of Eaton and Wolverton manors. (fn. 299)
In the late 18th century each township had a constable. (fn. 300)
In 1737-8 clothing and cash were given as out-relief. (fn. 301) In 1792 the poor were sent to Church Stretton workhouse, but in 1793 the parish clerk farmed them, paying out-relief and occasional assistance to 93 people. Then, as usually for the next 40 years, a poorhouse was rented, variously at Hatton or Soudley. The poorhouse, however, usually accommodated fewer than six (for whom spinning materials were bought in 1819), (fn. 302) and out-relief was usual in the early 19th century. (fn. 303) Some children were apprenticed. (fn. 304) Expenditure rose from £106 in 1775-6 to £375 in 1802 and peaked at £667 in 1818-19. (fn. 305)
The parish was in Church Stretton poor-law union 1836-1930, (fn. 306) Church Stretton rural sanitary district 1872-94, Church Stretton rural district 1894-1934, Ludlow R.D. 1934-74, and South Shropshire district from 1974. (fn. 307) It had a joint parish council with Hope Bowdler from c. 1967. (fn. 308)
The confirmation of parochial rights over Upper Millichope to Wenlock priory c. 1115 may be related to the earliest evidence of a church at Eaton, its Norman fabric. (fn. 309) The rectory was appropriated to Wenlock priory between 1186 and 1198, (fn. 310) and Eaton remained a vicarage (in the priory's patronage until 1540) (fn. 311) until reconstituted a rectory in 1868. (fn. 312) After the Dissolution the advowson of the vicarage descended with Eaton manor (fn. 313) until sold c. 1784 to Thomas Gwynn of Ludlow. Between 1799 and 1805 the advowson passed to Henry and William Lloyd of Ludlow, and before 1831 Folliot Sandford of the Isle bought it for his son Richard. (fn. 314) The last resident rector resigned in 1960 and the parish had a curate in charge, the rector of Rushbury, until 1967. (fn. 315) The benefice having been united with that of Hope Bowdler in 1966, (fn. 316) the united benefice was held in plurality with Rushbury from 1967 (fn. 317) and also with Cardington from 1980. (fn. 318) In 1987 Maj. Humphrey Sandford was a joint patron of Hope Bowdler with Eaton-under-Heywood. (fn. 319)
The vicarage was worth £4 6s. 8d. in 1291, (fn. 320) £6 13s. 4d. in 1379, (fn. 321) and £5 net in 1535. (fn. 322) In the later 16th century the vicar had 12 a. of glebe and the tithe sheaf of home closes and all other tithes except of grain. (fn. 323) In 1712 Frances Williams, a relation of the patron, augmented the vicarage with the gift of a farm, (fn. 324) and c. 1790 there were 140 a. of glebe. (fn. 325) Richard Sandford, the patron and vicar, rebuilt Eatonglebe (later Whitefields) Farm c. 1835. (fn. 326) In 1835 the vicar's net income was £280. (fn. 327) His tithes were commuted to £192 10s. in 1842. (fn. 328) The patron conveyed some impropriate tithe rent charges to the living and it became a rectory in 1868; (fn. 329) it was worth £350 in 1870. (fn. 330) Most of the glebe was sold in 1921, the rest in small parcels over the next 35 years. (fn. 331)
About 1600 the parsonage was a two bayed tiled mansion with a kitchen, barn, and stable. (fn. 332) As later, the house probably stood north-east of the church, and by 1654 a bridge over the intervening sunken lane connected them. (fn. 333) After augmentation of the living in 1712 the vicarage was rebuilt as a four bayed, two storeyed brick house with stone quoins, cornices, and plat bands; a surmounting bell turret was later removed. (fn. 334) Behind is a two storeyed brick tower with a first-floor dovecot. The house was sold in 1961. (fn. 335)
In 1345 the wardens of St. Mary's light were owed 4 qr. of wheat and oats, presumably to maintain the light. (fn. 336) Richard Clark, vicar in 1567 and 1587, was at first only a reader. (fn. 337) In the 18th century there were weekly services and occasional communion celebrated for small congregations. (fn. 338) In the later 18th and the 19th century resident curates were often employed. (fn. 339) Psalm singers were paid between 1817 and 1859. (fn. 340) During the incumbencies of Richard Sandford, 1831-60, and his son Holland, 1860- 1900, the living was improved but not attendance, (fn. 341) with 30 at the one weekly service in 1851. (fn. 342) By 1878 there was an efficient choir, but the distance of the church from most of the hamlets was then a deterrent to good attendance, (fn. 343) as indeed it must always have been.
A small nave, forming the western part of the present church, was probably built in the 12th century. The present long chancel was built c. 1200; it is the same width as the nave and has three lancets in the east wall. About the same time the tower was built against the south side of the new chancel and a new north door was made in the nave. The tower, which has an open arch into the church and a south doorway with pointed head, has two-light round-headed windows in its upper stage. The windows in the north and south walls of the chancel were renewed at various dates in the 14th century and the west window is 15th- or early 16th-century. By the latter period, when the roofs were renewed, the division between nave and chancel had been moved to a point just east of the arch into the tower. There was no chancel arch, but a rood screen may have divided nave and chancel: there was a rood in the church in 1538, perhaps supported by the 'cross division wall between nave and chancel' removed c. 1650. (fn. 346) The chancel roof is low pitched and has intersecting moulded beams with a carved cornice and bosses decorated with foliage and grotesques. The small porch was probably of similar date and was originally of timber but its walls have been rebuilt in rubble.
The chancel was 'beautified' in 1743 (fn. 347) by work not now identifiable. By 1793 the structure of the whole building was dangerous and substantial repairs were made to the tower and probably to the west end, while three large buttresses were built to the north. Inside, in a 'dark, foetid, and unwholesome' atmosphere, there were 'very irregular and somewhat ruinous' pews, three in the chancel and 28 in the nave. They seated c. 140, a west gallery, there by 1817, c. 30. The church was reseated c. 1845 (fn. 348) and there were improvements in 1864-5. (fn. 349) It was perhaps then or in 1869 that the arms of the principal landowners were put up at the 'intersection' of nave and chancel. (fn. 350) In 1869 (fn. 351) gallery, ceilings, and wall plaster were removed; the medieval east lancets were restored, and a later east window that had been cut into them was moved to the west end, where it was surmounted by a new wheel window; a square-headed three-light window was removed from the north wall of the nave and two Norman windows reopened there; other windows were renewed; and much stained glass and a communion table were introduced. (fn. 352) Later alterations were few. (fn. 353)
Early fittings include a tub font probably Norman (cover c. 1872), (fn. 354) a 14th-century wooden effigy in the chancel, (fn. 355) a late medieval chest, (fn. 356) and a three-decker pulpit assembled from parts of various dates, perhaps in 1670, the date on the sounding board. (fn. 357) The plate is 18th-century and later. (fn. 358) The three bells are of 1615, 1622, and 1869. (fn. 359)
A chapel at Upper Millichope in 1331 had probably existed before 1281. (fn. 362) No record of it after the 14th century has been found. There was a ruinous chapel at Hatton, probably in the hamlet, in 1593. (fn. 363)
In the later 17th century there were a few papists in the parish, notably Bartholomew and Margaret Lutley, but only one was reported in 1676. (fn. 364)
In 1793 a school at Hatton had 40-50 fee-paying pupils. (fn. 368) Children from Eaton parish were eligible to free places in Rushbury parochial school, endowed in 1820. (fn. 369) Between 1848 and the early 1850s the Primitive Methodists ran a Sunday school at Eaton; it had three teachers and c. 20 pupils. (fn. 370)
A parochial school, later called St. Edith's, (fn. 371) was built in 1863 by public subscription. An ill-lit brick building with teacher's house attached, it stood south-east of Ticklerton on the Eaton road. It had 60 places, later reduced to 35. (fn. 372) In the 1890s and until 1911 the building was much neglected and sometimes the school was poorly managed and equipped. (fn. 373) Until 1913 when a monitor was appointed, the teacher worked unassisted except by a sewing mistress. (fn. 374) Some pupils had to travel long distances. (fn. 375) Attendance averaged 35 in 1885 and 22 in 1900, (fn. 376) but the roll was only 20 in 1913 and 18 in 1919. (fn. 377) After severe gale damage in 1927 the school closed, its 13 pupils transferring to Rushbury and Hope Bowdler C.E. schools. (fn. 378)