A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11, Telford. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1985.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
No evidence of a manorial court has been found. There were Preston presentments to the Bradford hundred court in 1590 and 1592. (fn. 1)
Records of the appointment of an overseer of the poor survive from 1727, two overseers being appointed annually from 1739. In 1763 the system changed and £10 was paid to Richard Mansel for keeping the poor, although some payments were also made directly to individuals. During the 18th century money was disbursed on clothing, house repairs, and pensions, the amount fluctuating between c. £4 and £15. (fn. 2) There was no poorhouse. Preston was in the Wellington poor-law union 1836-1930. (fn. 3)
There was apparently only one churchwarden being appointed for much of the 18th century. (fn. 4) Records of the parish surveyor of highways survive from 1791 to 1827. They show money raised by levies being spent on labour and materials for raising and draining the parish roads. (fn. 5) Preston became part of Wrekin highway district in 1863, (fn. 6) and was part of Wellington rural district from its inception until 1974 (fn. 7) when it became part of Wrekin district. (fn. 8) Part of the south-east of the parish was included in 1968 in the designated area of Telford new town. (fn. 9)